Unable to charge if home charger supply has Ethernet over power

I am having a version of this problem, I think.

I had a wallbox pulsar plus installed on Thursday. They tested it all and everything checked out. The lights on the unit were green/normal and no errors on the app. The last thing they did was switch on all the circuits at my fuse box. One of these is the PowerPoint that had a BT mini hotspot for my Wi-Fi in that part of the house.

Now I get an error reading on the app and an odd light on the unit itself. Wallbox help pages don’t even list that light as an option.

Will switch off the hotspot tomorrow morning and see if that works.

Attachments

• 538FFE6A-A29B-490C-8B54-97C790002BE4.jpeg
    538FFE6A-A29B-490C-8B54-97C790002BE4.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 82
  • D7A9061F-BBA5-4F72-B412-970D12DBB7EB.png
    D7A9061F-BBA5-4F72-B412-970D12DBB7EB.png
    706 KB · Views: 77
I am having a version of this problem, I think.

I had a wallbox pulsar plus installed on Thursday. They tested it all and everything checked out. The lights on the unit were green/normal and no errors on the app. The last thing they did was switch on all the circuits at my fuse box. One of these is the PowerPoint that had a BT mini hotspot for my Wi-Fi in that part of the house.

Now I get an error reading on the app and an odd light on the unit itself. Wallbox help pages don’t even list that light as an option.

Will switch off the hotspot tomorrow morning and see if that works.
Hmmm presume the wallbox communicates via WiFi?
And the hotspot is a WiFi extender (plugs in to a socket & rebroadcasts a WiFi signal)?

If so suspect some conflict over IP addresses or the wallbox was setup to connect to the router WiFi whose signal is now being "drowned out" by the extender?

Keep us posted

Hmmm presume the wallbox communicates via WiFi?
And the hotspot is a WiFi extender (plugs in to a socket & rebroadcasts a WiFi signal)?

If so suspect some conflict over IP addresses or the wallbox was setup to connect to the router WiFi whose signal is now being "drowned out" by the extender?

Keep us posted
I switched off the whole Wi-Fi extender thing and the wallbox display changed to this.

Attachments

• A1F3252C-B370-40E3-9713-33888F36354D.jpeg
    A1F3252C-B370-40E3-9713-33888F36354D.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 76
The wallbox app says a red light means “there is an error”. Nothing of any use to try and solve it. For now, I have switched off the EV charger circuit in the fuse box so we can have functioning Wi-Fi. It was running very badly since the charger was installed so I am thinking there is an IP address conflict or similar. Don’t know how to solve that though.

The wallbox app says a red light means “there is an error”. Nothing of any use to try and solve it. For now, I have switched off the EV charger circuit in the fuse box so we can have functioning Wi-Fi. It was running very badly since the charger was installed so I am thinking there is an IP address conflict or similar. Don’t know how to solve that though.
Installers back & show them the with & without effect?

Have now power cycled everything. Power line Wi-Fi is working ok. Wallbox is connected to the internet and I can access it on the app. Still showing red light. I rang support helpline. They could connect to the box and can see there is a broken sensor. They will send a replacement unit.

Fingers crossed that fixes it.

Alongside this, Western Power Distribution are upgrading my main fuse next week (free) Also getting my earth connection looked at and possibly changed from TT to PME (about £120). The installers said that can make a difference.

Looks like the power line thing was not the cause of the wallbox error but I have read other threads that say the MG doesn’t like power line Wi-Fi so that problem is still to come.

I don't think power line wifi has ever been a problem is power line ethernet

Have now power cycled everything. Power line Wi-Fi is working ok. Wallbox is connected to the internet and I can access it on the app. Still showing red light. I rang support helpline. They could connect to the box and can see there is a broken sensor. They will send a replacement unit.

Fingers crossed that fixes it.

Alongside this, Western Power Distribution are upgrading my main fuse next week (free) Also getting my earth connection looked at and possibly changed from TT to PME (about £120). The installers said that can make a difference.

Looks like the power line thing was not the cause of the wallbox error but I have read other threads that say the MG doesn’t like power line Wi-Fi so that problem is still to come.

It’s not the car that is the issue - it’s the “intelligent” charge point that is the problem.

I recently replaced my old "BT Broadband Extender" with a much later technology "TP-LINK Powerline Adaptor". This caused havoc when trying to charge my MG ZS EV (you can hear it repeatedly trying to charge). In desperation I replaced the TP-LINK adaptor with a Netgear offering and got the same problem. Conclusion: the root cause is the use of the latest technology standards.
I contacted the supplier of my charger "Myengie" who asked if my car was an MG ZS! Seems this is a known problem. Sadly, my dealership don't or won't understand the issue. So, how do I contact MG??
It is very important to understand that all Ethernet over power devices emit RF interference and cause signal jitter on the wiring too. There are two rules that must be followed before anyone qualified will diagnose this issue. First all adapters must be on the same ring main circuit, no exceptions. Second all devices must be plugged directly into a BS standard outlet directly on the ring main (no extension leads) and no sockets should be spurred off from that ring main. I would also say that interference is compounded by faulty earthing “anywhere” on your domestic circuit. I have seen poor EV charger installations that don’t provide decent earthing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't envisage that happening :ROFLMAO:
Funnily enough, my HyperVolt isn't actually hardwired because the Wifi connection works perfectly and it's no more than about 6 feet away from the Router!

I don't envisage that happening :ROFLMAO:
Funnily enough, my HyperVolt isn't actually hardwired because the Wifi connection works perfectly and it's no more than about 6 feet away from the Router!
Perhaps you should move the router further away in case you get microwave reflection bounce. ;)

Rule of thumb

Any device that is stationary that needs network connectivity, should be hardwired with a cable.

Wifi is for laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.

LAN extenders that rely on the power grid is not to be used for anything, as they are crap :)

This is my experience from working in IT for many years.

Oh, and if you need multiple hotspots to cover your house with wifi, the same rule, for stationary devices apply.....Mesh systems are the root of all evil.
And ever has been so. Can't beat Cat 5. (IT for many years myself.)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom