Unable to charge if home charger supply has Ethernet over power

I recently replaced my old "BT Broadband Extender" with a much later technology "TP-LINK Powerline Adaptor". This caused havoc when trying to charge my MG ZS EV (you can hear it repeatedly trying to charge). In desperation I replaced the TP-LINK adaptor with a Netgear offering and got the same problem. Conclusion: the root cause is the use of the latest technology standards.
I contacted the supplier of my charger "Myengie" who asked if my car was an MG ZS! Seems this is a known problem. Sadly, my dealership don't or won't understand the issue. So, how do I contact MG??
Hi Andy
I've just had a WallBox charger fitted by EVHomeCharge, excellent charger for my ZS EV, connects to my network by wifi, no problem at all, you can also control the charger via an App

Hi Andy
I've just had a WallBox charger fitted by EVHomeCharge, excellent charger for my ZS EV, connects to my network by wifi, no problem at all, you can also control the charger via an App
Not quite the problem he's having

Is that a Wi-Fi extender that you plug in? there is no problem with those, only powerline extenders that send the ethernet signal through the mains cause the problem.
No mine are not WiFi extenders, they are ethernet extenders through the mains.

No mine are not WiFi extenders, they are ethernet extenders through the mains.
That's interesting assuming your car charger model is one affected on others' installations with plug in extenders?

Are the extenders late models? as I seem to recall they moved the frequency they use up the scale a bit compared to the earlier incarnations.

That's interesting assuming your charger model is affected on others' installations?

Are the extenders late models? as I seem to recall they moved the frequency they use up the scale a bit compared to the earlier incarnations.
They are older ones about 6 or 7 years old IIRC.

As Kithmo said charger is on its own circuit.
A closer related question is - are the problematic power line extenders in use on the same "side" of an RCD protected CU/fuse board?
Modern ones are usually split so if 1 RCD trips the other circuits on the 2nd do not.

ISTR trying to use power line extenders across both sides of a split CU causes slow speeds & issues.

Just wondering if both these issues are interconnected.

I.e. if powerline extenders are not sharing an RCD on the CU with a charger is all ok?

But if they are on the same RCD (whether the board is split or not) is that where the issues crop up w chargers?

A closer related question is - are the problematic power line extenders in use on the same "side" of an RCD protected CU/fuse board?
Modern ones are usually split so if 1 RCD trips the other circuits on the 2nd do not.

ISTR trying to use power line extenders across both sides of a split CU causes slow speeds & issues.

Just wondering if both these issues are interconnected.

I.e. if powerline extenders are not sharing an RCD on the CU with a charger is all ok?

But if they are on the same RCD (whether the board is split or not) is that where the issues crop up w chargers?
The only RCD on my electrics is the one to the charger which is totally separate from the fuse box and comes directly from the meter on its own circuit.

The only RCD on my electrics is the one to the charger which is totally separate from the fuse box and comes directly from the meter on its own circuit.
Interesting.
Seems plausible then that RCDs are filtering the extenders high frequency transmissions - as that would explain both your (happy) situation & the issues trying to get extenders working across a split CU with 2 X RCDs.

But the split CUs a mute point if the charger is on a separate supply straight from the meter.
I suspect those who are having problems may have the charger powered from the CU (split or not) instead of directly from the meter.

I bleave the dirty data can travel all the way to your supply it even possible to travel to neighbouring houses if there on the same phase as you depends on the power of the Extender

But the split CUs a mute point if the charger is on a separate supply straight from the meter.
I suspect those who are having problems may have the charger powered from the CU (split or not) instead of directly from the meter.
Hmmm I imagined your sole charger circuit RCD filtering the ahem "noise" from the powerline extenders coming back up from your meter (where your charger circuit supply is connected to the rest of your house supply)

Last edited:
I’m all confused here

Does this mean you the charger conflicts of you have a powerline adapter anywhere in your house in conflicts with the charger?

I have one for my ps5 from my router, will this conflict???

I’m all confused here

Does this mean you the charger conflicts of you have a powerline adapter anywhere in your house in conflicts with the charger?

I have one for my ps5 from my router, will this conflict???
Well does it ? Have you tried charging with the powerline (ethernet not WIFI) still plugged in and switched on ? Only you will know.

There to many factors to say yes or no as some people have no problems at all different brands work in different ways same goes for the chargers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom