Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

Hi all, just thought I would weigh in with my experience on this issue.

My ZS EV went in for its annual service on Monday, the only update authorised was the CCU (this doesn’t fix the problem).

The garage said they aren’t allowed to update modules without a service request showing as they don’t know if the software is for the UK market etc.

I contacted MGUK and got the same response as earlier in the thread - “the EVCC needs to be updated to work with Tesla super chargers”, “the dealership can contact us directly if they need help, this is a comfort update so is chargeable”

My dealership seem completely oblivious that there was an update available or chargeable.

It seems MGUK’s communication with dealerships is terrible as surely they could be offering this to customers as part of an annual service!

Hi all, just thought I would weigh in with my experience on this issue.

My ZS EV went in for its annual service on Monday, the only update authorised was the CCU (this doesn’t fix the problem).

The garage said they aren’t allowed to update modules without a service request showing as they don’t know if the software is for the UK market etc.

I contacted MGUK and got the same response as earlier in the thread - “the EVCC needs to be updated to work with Tesla super chargers”, “the dealership can contact us directly if they need help, this is a comfort update so is chargeable”

My dealership seem completely oblivious that there was an update available or chargeable.

It seems MGUK’s communication with dealerships is terrible as surely they could be offering this to customers as part of an annual service!
I wouldn't even get into a discussion about updates.

The problem should be plainly stated - the car doesn't work on all chargers - specifically Tesla ones.

We don't care about 'comfort update' explanations. Fix the car!

Bodger's is right of course except that MG will only fix it if you pay. Only one way to deal with companies that take advantage of their customers. Go elsewhere in future.

After owning a number of VAG vehicles over time, it was a different approach.
Software updates that had been released by VW that appertained to improvements made to the modules that controlled the general running of the car, where all carried out at the time of the annual service and where FOC.
When the first service was carried out on a Golf GTE PHEV we once owned, the car had to stay in the dealership overnight, to complete a series of 13 updates !.
It was the largest number of updates that the master tech had ever applied to one single car at the same time !.
He said that usually 3 or 4 was the norm.
These updates were carried out FOC without any request by myself.
Interesting to note, that when I enquired about the number of updates installed, I was told that every single module had received numerous updates that had taking a long time to install.
The car also had the optional entertainment system and Sat Nav unit installed by the factory.
When I asked if this had been updated, I was told that if I wanted this updating it was done as chargeable cost to the customer !.
Map updates are seen a bit like a comfort update and are not covered under warranty.
Which I kind of go along with really.
So, in conclusion the 13 updates to the main modules that had taken all day where free, but the more simple info updates ( that may have taken 30 minutes to one hour, where a cost option to the customer.
A much different approach by two different manufacturers I guess ???.

Last edited:
In other words functional updates are part of the cost of doing business for VW. Whereas MGs attitude seems to be we can fleece the customer a few extra quid for them.

Well, it appears that if you are in South Wales and want this update you are out of luck. Nathaniel's (Cardiff, Cwmbran & Bridgend) and Thomas Davies (Merthyr) all deny any knowledge of it.
Unless any of you wonderful people know different and have the magic words to unlock the secret knowledge....

In other words functional updates are part of the cost of doing business for VW. Whereas MGs attitude seems to be we can fleece the customer a few extra quid for them.

I believe the map updates are written in as part of the service checkbox and 'promised' in the same way as over the air updates were 'promised'.
My experience for charging my MGZS EV 2022 Trophy LR using tesla chargers has been very positive. After seeing the MG forum podcast I booked in with MG tunbridge Wells, who refused to talk about it & said they ignored forums, only offering updates MG specifically say are needed.
However, on 19th June 23 they still updated EVCC, CCU, BMS, UCU & TC
I then drove to Scotland from South Coast England and successfully used public Teslas at Banbury, Dundee and even Aviemore.

That's encouraging. It would be a pleasant surprise if MGs advice to customers was wrong. My car is booked in for its first service in 2 weeks
Ill try it on Tesla afterwards.

Coincidentally MG Tunbridge Wells supplied my car, although I've booked the service elsewhere.

It would be a good idea to inform the dealer prior to the service, that you would like them to prioritise the software update for non Tesla car charging.
Then they can allocate the workshop time in advance.
Otherwise if you request it on the day, they may tell you that it will need another appointment date.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a good idea to inform the dealer prior to the service, that you would like them to prioritise the software update for non Tesla car charging.
Otherwise if you request it on the day, they may tell you that it will need another appointment date.
Thanks. I have told them already. Twice as it happens. Once when it was originally booked in and once when I put it back a month.. The response was much the same as that Tread Softly Terrain received from MG Tunbridge Wells....'the car will get the updates it needs'.

They may need to have a conversation with MG CS regarding this update, as some dealers even have difficulty recognising that there is such an update available.
I think some become a little anxious about the fact that a number of modules need updating in a set sequence.

So after specifically mention the Tesla update when I bought my ZS today I attempted to charge at Harrogate stall 2C. Now it is my first attempt at rapid charging and I didn’t end up where my wife was wanting to go so after 3 attempts I gave up. Tesla app stated it could not see a car plugged in. I will have one more go and then contact my dealer.

So after specifically mention the Tesla update when I bought my ZS today I attempted to charge at Harrogate stall 2C. Now it is my first attempt at rapid charging and I didn’t end up where my wife was wanting to go so after 3 attempts I gave up. Tesla app stated it could not see a car plugged in. I will have one more go and then contact my dealer.
So looks like I made a new boy error! Just taken it to an AC charger which didn’t start. After scratching my head and looking at various screens I suddenly realised I had time charging set! Silly me I had to turn that off on the PHEV so I should have known! It isn’t yet time to complain to the dealer

I just had my first service at Richmond Guildford. I warned them ahead of time I wanted all the software updates including Tesla charging. They said my car didn’t need any. I told them they were wrong. Bottom line they didn’t have a clue. They tried to be nice but really their communication via MGUK is shocking. I will be writing to ombudsman as I am not even sure it is legal not to give us certain updates.

I just had my first service at Richmond Guildford. I warned them ahead of time I wanted all the software updates including Tesla charging. They said my car didn’t need any. I told them they were wrong. Bottom line they didn’t have a clue. They tried to be nice but really their communication via MGUK is shocking. I will be writing to ombudsman as I am not even sure it is legal not to give us certain updates.
If you know your car doesn’t charge at Tesla chargers, don’t get into a discussion about updates.

State the car doesn’t charge at these and you want it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
So latest update to the saga is that after multiple calls to my dealer's HQ service head and emails back down to the dealer, they have contacted MG UK and sorted out what and how to do the updates! ... I am working away for the next couple of weeks so on Saturday morning delivered teh car to them and said they have two weeks to do all the updates and test it (I've asked for the main info system and maps to be updated seeing as I'm paying for the privilege of the Tesla 'comfort' upgrade !) ... I've also asked for a hard copy of the initial diagnostics report showing what software/firmware versions the components are currently on and a copy at the end showing what they have been updated to ...

I'm half expecting a phone call to say they've bricked the car but hopefully not - will update if anything happens along the way !

I've also asked for a hard copy of the initial diagnostics report showing what software/firmware versions the components are currently on and a copy at the end showing what they have been updated to ...
Hard core. I'd say your changes of getting it are roughly 20%. But please, MG, prove me wrong!

Good luck; following with great interest.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom