Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

Just successfully charged my ZS EV 2023 with the V2L update which includes all the latest firmwares. I used a V4 charger without any issues and at only £0.49 per Kwh.
Ooo V4 - very snazzy. Cable length is a lot better on these.

Yep Tesla chargers are the way. I wish they'd open up more, it would put price pressure on the others.

Now had service. Told by garage that MG does not regard updates needed to use open Tesla superchargers as critical and I will therefore have to pay if I want them. Told them what I thought, but really no point. More put out MGs attitude than anything else. Considering next steps, including vehicle ombudsmen.

Now had service. Told by garage that MG does not regard updates needed to use open Tesla superchargers as critical and I will therefore have to pay if I want them. Told them what I thought, but really no point. More put out MGs attitude than anything else. Considering next steps, including vehicle ombudsmen.
Do you mind I ask how much did they want to charge you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mind I ask how much did they want to charge you?
I was quoted £96. Others have been charged £120. Not a great deal I know, but I really object to paying more to continue to use any available charger.

I was quoted £96. Others have been charged £120. Not a great deal I know, but I really object to paying more to continue to use any available charger.
Thank you. That's great help. When I asked, the MG dealer near me didn't even know the Tesla update existed.

I paid up the £120 as the matter of principle was going to make things very awkward. I use the open chargers for my TCLR without any problems In Uk and France.
The matter of principal will be top of my list when I chose my next brand of car.

When did the update come out roughly? My ZS LR trophy connect that I have just got doesn’t charge but it was dealer stock so could be old but it has no pano roof!

When did the update come out roughly? My ZS LR trophy connect that I have just got doesn’t charge but it was dealer stock so could be old but it has no pano roof!
I don't know precisely. My car was registered in Dec 22 and I would guess the update was available in the first quarter of 2023.

So my latest update is that I picked up the car from my dealer having left it there for two weeks while I was working away from home ... they "say" they have done all the relevant updates to enable supercharger access (although I can't actually test until tomorrow and will obviously report back) ... they have however given me some screenshots of the system diagnostic reporting what was updated but annoyingly it doesn't give any version numbers but there were a couple of X's against some of the modules that need to be updated that now have ticks against them ...

It cost £140 + VAT and they also updated the MPU software in the infotainment system from R16 to R19 ... so fingers crossed tomorrow when I head to the Uxbridge 'open' chargers again to see if it works ...

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5546.jpeg
    IMG_5546.jpeg
    697.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5545.jpeg
    IMG_5545.jpeg
    385.4 KB · Views: 88
So my latest update is that I picked up the car from my dealer having left it there for two weeks while I was working away from home ... they "say" they have done all the relevant updates to enable supercharger access (although I can't actually test until tomorrow and will obviously report back) ... they have however given me some screenshots of the system diagnostic reporting what was updated but annoyingly it doesn't give any version numbers but there were a couple of X's against some of the modules that need to be updated that now have ticks against them ...

It cost £140 + VAT and they also updated the MPU software in the infotainment system from R16 to R19 ... so fingers crossed tomorrow when I head to the Uxbridge 'open' chargers again to see if it works ...
100% insanity that they are charging you to fix something that's broken.

Don't let them get away with it folks!

Mine was fixed in early December 22, so it has to have existed from at least then.

I think it was Jan 2023 that Tesla started to open up their network to other brands in the UK. The MG updates to allow compatibility started in June 2023 I think, although they may have shipped up-to-date cars with built-in compatibility earlier than that - check the MG EV June podcast ...

I've not had my car updated, but Apple MG (Gravesend, Kent) at least seemed to know of its existence.
My three local dealers - Stratstone Beaconsfield, Palmers Hemel Hempstead and Perrys Aylesbury also didn't know anything about it either until I enquired and suggested they look into it ... at least Perrys now has one update under it's belt and I should be able to report in an hour or so if it was successful !

I think it was Jan 2023 that Tesla started to open up their network to other brands in the UK. The MG updates to allow compatibility started in June 2023 I think, although they may have shipped up-to-date cars with built-in compatibility earlier than that - check the MG EV June podcast ...
Not convinced by your dates.

Mine had general charging problems in December 2022 when it was delivered.

The updates applied then fixed the Tesla charging issue, and I've not been back to the dealer since December.

100% insanity that they are charging you to fix something that's broken.

Don't let them get away with it folks!
My case is now logged with the UK Motor Ombudsman. I advise everyone to log a case against MG UK charging for this Tesla software update. Do not pay for it. The more of us who complain the more likely we are to get this resolved in our favour.

So ... (drumroll) ... it worked ! ... went to 'open' supercharger site in Uxbridge and pulled up, plugged in, selected the correct stall on the Tesla app and clicked charge - after 20 seconds or so of handshaking the electrons started flowing :) ... got a few curious looks from Tesla drivers as was the only non-Tesla there ! ... so now on to the fix for the DAB radio station icons !

Attachments

• IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    753.7 KB · Views: 75
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video