Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

I will find out re my Mrk1 ZS on Saturday ... I know from many happy rapid charging that my 4 works on Tesla .. So - If the ZS needs said 'update' it will get it ... I'm currently Very happy with my Dealer - & they are expecting a probable charging issue on a Public charge point which to them is valid enough reason to 'update' the EVCC - which covers Tesla FOC when they have it for its service in a few weeks (pre booked) ..

You are indeed very lucky. From what others have reported your dealer will be charged by MG for the necessary update so it will be costing your dealer money. Only a few tens of pounds no doubt, but that's what's so frustrating about this whole thing

On the Gen 2 facelift model it requires that the following 5 control modules to be checked via a diag computer and then updated individually, if they are required to do so.
It has to be done in set sequence and can be time consuming by all accounts.
Here is the list of the modules.

.VCU
.EV
.CCU
.BMS
.TC

I believe there was a MG service bulletin released ( AS-22-025 ) for the Gen 2 model.
This was released to address the problem of some owners, reporting a HV fault when trying to use certain CCS units.
This resulted in some cars refusing to reboot and completely shutting down and requiring the help of the recovery services.
I guess if the Gen 1 is using the same modules as the Gen 2 it could be compatible on both models ??.
MG5 pre-face lift is unable to use the non Tesla units is my understanding.
Not sure on the face lift model though ????.

@Lovemyev
Is the module list above something new please?
My car is booked in for its’ first service later this month, but the modules I listed for updates required were:
VCU
EVCC
CCU
BMS
BCM
The list mentioned above was the first update to address the HV charging issue.
I believe the items in your list is the modules that require checking / updating to permit the non-Tesla charging.
Effectively, when the car is connected to the diagnostic computer, it should cross check what items can be updated on your car and displayed to the EV Tech.
It's all done from the VIN number and on a individual car by car basis I believe.
This will be based on when the car was built and what firmware version the car is running on.
Some cars may need more updates than others, if you get my point.
When my car received it's first service in late Feb this year, I asked if the car could be checked to see if could be updated to allow the car to still out put via the V2L but when the car was closed down and then locked via the fob.
Prior to the update, it could discharge fine via the V2L cable, but only if the car was still in the READY mode.
This was checked and corrected by the lads at Chorley group and I was told it was the BCM ( Body Control Module ) that had been updated in the process.
Although I have not tried charging from a Tesla super charger, I am pretty sure it would be unsuccessful.
Why - Well only given by the fact that the BCM was the only module updated at that appointment and the non-Tesla charging update was not in great demand at that point in time.
It was a couple of months later when Miles started reporting about his involvement in helping one of his customers who really wanted the non - Tesla charging facility.
The customer had travelled a long distance in order to have this feature applied to his car, which was lengthy in time, but was a total success.

[ Edit moderator: soft wear → firmware; affectively → effectively ]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I contacted them in September MG customer service told me the necessary update was to the EVCC. No mention was made of the other modules. That may be for my car only though.

You are indeed very lucky. From what others have reported your dealer will be charged by MG for the necessary update so it will be costing your dealer money. Only a few tens of pounds no doubt, but that's what's so frustrating about this whole thing
Then the dealer should be putting in as warranty claim with MG.

Because that's what it is!

Has anyone used Tesla's Supercharger network? (I'm assuming the charger connections fit the MG ZS 2021.) I understand 15 sites are open to non-Teslas and I'd have to download an app to use it. I don't want to pay the £10.99 monthly charge to get a cheaper charge as I use the car mainly for short journeys around London. But I'm planning a 450 mile journey to Scotland and unless I can get fast charging I'll spend more time topping up on the journey than actually being in Scotland.
My ZS EV 2022 Long Range Luxury will not charge at Tesla. I tried twice, in Germany and France. The dealer mentioned an incompatibilty issue that Tesla and MG have not yet resolved.

If it was a case of having to buy an adapter to use the traditional Tesla NACS connetors, then yes, I could understand paying. But when it's a software update for a car I've already bought with the CCS connector, then I would expect that to be supplied as part of the car's warranty.

I had the first service of my 2022 ZS Trophy Connect LR and was charged the MG dealer rate of £120 take it or leave it. I was about to go on a European trip and needed the availability of open Tesla chargers so had to cough up.

My ZS EV 2022 Long Range Luxury will not charge at Tesla. I tried twice, in Germany and France. The dealer mentioned an incompatibilty issue that Tesla and MG have not yet resolved.
He's wrong, and you need to ask them to fix it.

I’ve been attempting (and failing) to get sensible advice on this from MG customer support. They refer me to dealers who say they know nothing about this and that our July 22 ZS software is up to date- serviced June 23.
I need V2L to work when the car is locked (medical equipment) and I would really like the use of Tesla superchargers, even if I have to pay.
can someone PLEASE tell me which dealers can help !

I’ve been attempting (and failing) to get sensible advice on this from MG customer support. They refer me to dealers who say they know nothing about this and that our July 22 ZS software is up to date- serviced June 23.
I need V2L to work when the car is locked (medical equipment) and I would really like the use of Tesla superchargers, even if I have to pay.
I use Ministergate in York.

I didn’t get into any talk about software updates.

Clearly state the car is non functional at Tesla supercharges and has a defect. Same with your V2L issue.

Needs to be addressed as a defect - you bought a product that doesn’t function as advertised.

Look up the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which gives you the ammunition you need to get them to fix it. Also, Martin Lewis has a template complaint letter on his website; moneysavingexpert.com, which I've used a couple of times to get the attention of companies who ignored me, hoping I'd give up and go away.

My MG Dealer in Botley will be told that my ZS failed to charge at a public charger - (We all know which charger) - As I need the EVCC updated (Electric Vehicle Charging Circuit) - So that's the Charging s/w
& yes I have a Mrk1 .. I've seen other Mrk1's can and do use these particular chargers...

As to the V2L - In theory that also under the EVCC ...

I just tried to use my local Tesla supercharger (rated for all non Tesla cars) to see if it needed the upgrade and it does. Reports charging mismatch or something in those words. My car is booked in for it's first service on the 12th of December, so will ask if they can update the software to enable. Will report back on my progress.

I just tried to use my local Tesla supercharger (rated for all non Tesla cars) to see if it needed the upgrade and it does. Reports charging mismatch or something in those words. My car is booked in for it's first service on the 12th of December, so will ask if they can update the software to enable. Will report back on my progress.

Don't ask for a software update.

Tell them it doesn't work on these chargers.

It's not for you to tell them what the fix is, and the more you mention software updates the more likely it may be that they will start saying it's a paid for update.

Something isn't right, they fix it.

My ZS EV trophy connect is due for service in January. I have the same Tesla charging issues. I will be really interested to see how you get on with your dealer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom