Using Tesla Superchargers with my ZS EV

Just looked up the error message I got on the car's charging display when I tried to charge at Tesla SC. 'Electrical Grid Abnormal' was the error. Didn't affect the charging circuit as I moved it to an ENBW super charger which was located just a few yards from the Tesla chargers and everything worked OK. Charged from 51% to 79%. Will let you know how I get on at the dealers.

I have got my Gen 1 ZS going in for a service today in Melbourne, Australia. I have told them I want the issue fixed but won't get a chance to test it on a Tesla supercharger until Xmas. Will let you all know know how it goes

I was getting 60kW @50p/kWh at the weekend at Tesla Celtic Manor in my '22 ZS LR gen 2...
Are you charging a gen 2 ZS EV. I tried charging that model at the Celtic Manor in the summer and it didn’t work.

Have you had any software upgrades?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you charging a gen 2 ZS EV. I tried charging that model at the Celtic Manor in the summer and it didn’t work.

Have you had any software upgrades?
Hi @AmbroseIan - yes - if you search back through my last few posts I talked about my hunt to find any dealer that knew what to do to 'update/unlock' the feature with the relevant firmware updates ... used Tesla open chargers a few times now and all good as long as you use the Tesla app to find the right ones !

I got only 28kW @ Reading Tesla super charger, Not sure why? Any tips for getting faster speeds please?

is there a way to determine whether the vehicle can be used with a Tesla charger without physically visiting one to try?

I got only 28kW @ Reading Tesla super charger, Not sure why? Any tips for getting faster speeds please?
Was the site exceptionally busy ? ... wonder if they throttle charge rates if all being used at once ?

Supposedly all software updates done on Tuesday. Still have yet to test on Tesla supercharger.
Updates were free, cost for first year inspection was 178 euro 153 pounds.
I have got my 1st service on Tuesday at stoneacre in Doncaster did you ask your dealer to do it or did they do it as part of the standard updates during service?

I have got my 1st service on Tuesday at stoneacre in Doncaster did you ask your dealer to do it or did they do it as part of the standard updates during service
I would recommend that you call them on Monday to check if they can accommodate your request !.
If workshop time is tight, they may not get time to do the update on the day.

I have got my 1st service on Tuesday at stoneacre in Doncaster did you ask your dealer to do it or did they do it as part of the standard updates during service
I did mention the error I had at the local Tesla chargers and told them of a supposed update to allow charging at Tesla charging stations. They told me they would apply all updates (free of charge), but that I would have to test them on Tesla's chargers to see if it worked (this was done as part of the first year service).
I have since noticed that the charging station that I tried the car at is only a series 2 charging station, which are supposed to give problems even with cars that can use the series 3 chargers.
The nearest series 3 chargers to me are at least 30 kilometres away, but will test in any case at the older series 2, but I don't hold out much hope of them working there.

I would recommend that you call them on Monday to check if they can accommodate your request !.
If workshop time is tight, they may not get time to do the update on the day.
I was warned that the service could run into the next day depending on access to MG's update website.
Not a problem for me as the dealer is only a tram ride away and I am not dependant on my car.

I just tried to charge using the Tesla charger on 2 sites and it wouldn’t work
Only had my zs ev long range 2 months and we got it new from mg
Any ideas?
I got this come up

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 58
I just tried to charge using the Tesla charger on 2 sites and it wouldn’t work
Only had my zs ev long range 2 months and we got it new from mg
Any ideas?
I got this come up
Was it definitely one of the ‘open’ chargers? If so, I would suggest a search on this forum to find out which module requires updating to allow the MG to access Tesla EVSEs

From the image you posted it looks like you haven't selected the charger, which you have to do first. Then you plug in and press start charging.

@lharl86 - I think the Tesla charge station you tried is not one that is open to non-Teslas
Hi there
It is as there was a non Tesla car there charging next to me

From the image you posted it looks like you haven't selected the charger, which you have to do first. Then you plug in and press start charging.
Hi I did select the charger but it just kept going back to that screen

Was it definitely one of the ‘open’ chargers? If so, I would suggest a search on this forum to find out which module requires updating to allow the MG to access Tesla EVSEs
It was an open one
Someone with a non Tesla was charging next to me

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom