V2L adapters

I'm looking at one now. My Jackary isn't high enough Wattage to run a camping heater.

Yeah it's an off grid camping power bank I take outside camping. Gives me 12V, 5V and AC mains. I use it for hair straighteners and radios and phone charging, but it won't run a heater, but the car will.

I bought one from Ali Express for $AUD36.00 with claimed output of 32 amps. There were reviews from MG4 owners that it worked fine. Mine does too but I doubt I could get 32 amps discharge. I used it with my Karcher pressure washer for a couple of hours with no problems. I think that it was drawing about 11-12 amps.

We have a planned power outage next Tuesday for 6 hours so I will use my heavy duty 20 Amp extension lead for various appliances but not all together.

I bought one from Ali Express for $AUD36.00 with claimed output of 32 amps. There were reviews from MG4 owners that it worked fine. Mine does too but I doubt I could get 32 amps discharge. I used it with my Karcher pressure washer for a couple of hours with no problems. I think that it was drawing about 11-12 amps.

We have a planned power outage next Tuesday for 6 hours so I will use my heavy duty 20 Amp extension lead for various appliances but not all together.
Could u share the link. im looking for a 32 amps V2L plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
My works properly - tested !

Attachments

• IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2754.jpeg
    IMG_2754.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 60
I've used mine with an electric chainsaw (2200w). Works fine. Also used to power the home office when they changed the consumer unit, again no problem. So I'm quite impressed with the potential should I ever get a long power cut.
Me too, also air compressor, kettle,2kW heater... not all at once of course. Seems OK to 3kW. 👍 😊

I got mine "free" with my trophy model, UK spec 6mtr 2.5 mm² cable water proof double ELCB skt. 👍 😊

My adapter arrived today. My 2023 MG4 Essence doesn't recognise it when plugged in.
Hi. I also purchased a dodgy V2L adapter on eBay which didn't work on our MG4 Essence 77. The biggest surprise was getting a full refund with free return postage.

We bought another type from a seller in Adelaide, but they refunded the payment 2 days later citing a problem with their stocked item.

Finally I purchased one from AliExpress and as stated, it arrived today after a month long delivery. It was a bit more expensive at AUD $83.19, but it actually works! The shape of the MG4 socket cavity means the adapter's display is slightly obscured, but still readable. There is a little switch just above the outlet plug labelled C-M-K. Select M for the MG.

Daggly

1000029077.jpg
1000029075.jpg
1000029069.jpg
1000029070.jpg
1000029076.jpg

I bought this for £14 from Ebay, EV Cable Adapter 2022 MG ZS MG4 MG5 Discharge V2L Vehicle to Load UK Power Cut | eBay

Works ok with the updated 2023 MY MG4

Made a guide for anyone new V2L like me

View attachment 19863

What do you mean by "updated" 2023 MY MG4? Mine is a 2023 MG4 Essence 64, delivered to me in September 2023. The adapter I bought off eBay is not recognised by the software when plugged in.

Hi. I also purchased a dodgy V2L adapter on eBay which didn't work on our MG4 Essence 77. The biggest surprise was getting a full refund with free return postage.

We bought another type from a seller in Adelaide, but they refunded the payment 2 days later citing a problem with their stocked item.

Finally I purchased one from AliExpress and as stated, it arrived today after a month long delivery. It was a bit more expensive at AUD $83.19, but it actually works! The shape of the MG4 socket cavity means the adapter's display is slightly obscured, but still readable. There is a little switch just above the outlet plug labelled C-M-K. Select M for the MG.

Daggly
You were lucky, I only got a partial refund of $9.60 (I had paid $32) but got to keep the adapter, which may or may not work on a different model of MG4. I will carefully consider my options before spending any more money on a non-essential item.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You were lucky, I only got a partial refund of $9.60 (I had paid $32) but got to keep the adapter, which may or may not work on a different model of MG4. I will carefully consider my options before spending any more money on a non-essential item.
Well it's interesting about the partial refund. We may have had the same seller. I was offered the partial refund, but that was after I had previously clicked on the return/refund button and eBay allowed me to print off a return label. My surprise was that the address label said "no postage required".

It had a pretty weird address such as Alan, Jones Street, Smithtown (can't remember the actual names). No surname and no house number. At the time, I checked the street out on Google Maps and there were over 40 houses. I thought there was no way it would get to the seller, and I was right.

It came straight back to me, but that was after eBay had refunded my full payment. I gave it to the guy next door who has a Kia. I haven't asked if it worked for him.

I bought one of the eBay adaptors. Plugged it in to get a blue light on the adaptor. The charging screen on the MG4 seemed to recognise it, but when I hit 'Start Discharge', I got a message "Discharge failed - discharge cut off power is higher than . . . " etc.

I bought one of the eBay adaptors. Plugged it in to get a blue light on the adaptor. The charging screen on the MG4 seemed to recognise it, but when I hit 'Start Discharge', I got a message "Discharge failed - discharge cut off power is higher than . . . " etc.
Just found somewhere else that your battery needs to be over 80% - seems odd.

There is a discharge setting in the MG4 where you can choose a cut off % based on how much you need remaining to get to the next charging point. If your setting was at or above the battery's level, that might explain that message. Mine works below 80%, but my bottom limit is currently at 50% (maybe that's the default), so it will stop when it reaches that.

I probably won't be using the V2L very often. Our garage is connected by an internal door to the kitchen. Next time we get a power outage, I'll be running a lead through to the fridge.

We rarely have outages here, but a few weeks ago (while my newly ordered V2L adapter was in transit for delivery), we lost grid power for 26 hours. Fortunately, we we have a motorhome in the backyard bristling with solar and lithium, so I was able to keep the fridge going using an extra long cable from that.

Agreed, it will be something that I rarely use. We do get quite a few power outages out here in the sticks, but they rarely last any length of time. However, I may be tempted to treat myself to a little hand held vacuum cleaner to use while charging. It'll save me carrying the big Dyson out whenever I clean the car.

By the way, I suspect you may be right about the discharge limit setting. Sadly, I can't check it out until the weekend, but I'll post my findings here.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom