V2L Cars to be in demand?

Similar situation here too when picking which MG4 to go for.
go for a Trophy on its own....
or an SE SR and £7k spare from our available funds for some sort of Energy system.

So we decided to go for the SE SR and a Home Battery Solution.
We're looking at just going battery only with no Solar as we have East/West Roof alignment , so not optimum for the extra cost.

We're going for 10kW battery storage and an AC coupler to load up the battery when its on the cheap Octopus Go tariff, then use the charge for peak to save money.
currently still paying 5p kW until May next year and 13.9p Peak.
So Next May was going to be a real rude awakening for us.
I know Go will increase next year when ours runs out, but still going to be hell of a lot cheaper than without the Storage.
Also there is talk of being rewarded for only using off peak electricity with reductions to your bills etc.
Which this will help with.
Just need to find someone to fit it all now before the installation costs skyrocket too with demand.
Currently looking at £5995 for GivEnergy system with 9.5kw battery installed including VAT too.
But they cant fit it until April next year.
Have another one that's quoted who are a little more expensive (£1000 ish) but can fit in next 2-3 weeks.
Just waiting to hear back, then we'll get cracking.
Only downside with Battery only is you have to pay the VAT
If bought with Solar panels you don't.
Bloody Government !!
Still a good saving over the crazy costs coming though.

with regard to only pulling 2.4 kw from the car, the AC couplers for home storage only start at 3kw and go up in value and price from there on, so not a million miles away with V2L.

I just don't want to put a charge/drain cycle on my car battery every day to try save money and end up reducing the cars range quickly.
It will be interesting to see if the car logs charges and discharges anywhere in the system.
If MG are offering 7 Years on the battery based on charge cycles probably, but its being hammered for V2L every day too.
I'm sure they'll be able to tell somewhere and probably reduce the battery cover with it.
I’ve read somewhere an new Octopus Go off peak is now 12p instead of my current 7.5p.

Similar situation here too when picking which MG4 to go for.
go for a Trophy on its own....
or an SE SR and £7k spare from our available funds for some sort of Energy system.

So we decided to go for the SE SR and a Home Battery Solution.
We're looking at just going battery only with no Solar as we have East/West Roof alignment , so not optimum for the extra cost.

We're going for 10kW battery storage and an AC coupler to load up the battery when its on the cheap Octopus Go tariff, then use the charge for peak to save money.
currently still paying 5p kW until May next year and 13.9p Peak.
So Next May was going to be a real rude awakening for us.
I know Go will increase next year when ours runs out, but still going to be hell of a lot cheaper than without the Storage.
Also there is talk of being rewarded for only using off peak electricity with reductions to your bills etc.
Which this will help with.
Just need to find someone to fit it all now before the installation costs skyrocket too with demand.
Currently looking at £5995 for GivEnergy system with 9.5kw battery installed including VAT too.
But they cant fit it until April next year.
Have another one that's quoted who are a little more expensive (£1000 ish) but can fit in next 2-3 weeks.
Just waiting to hear back, then we'll get cracking.
Only downside with Battery only is you have to pay the VAT
If bought with Solar panels you don't.
Bloody Government !!
Still a good saving over the crazy costs coming though.

with regard to only pulling 2.4 kw from the car, the AC couplers for home storage only start at 3kw and go up in value and price from there on, so not a million miles away with V2L.

I just don't want to put a charge/drain cycle on my car battery every day to try save money and end up reducing the cars range quickly.
It will be interesting to see if the car logs charges and discharges anywhere in the system.
If MG are offering 7 Years on the battery based on charge cycles probably, but its being hammered for V2L every day too.
I'm sure they'll be able to tell somewhere and probably reduce the battery cover with it.
Hi Jester27 I agree with what you have written, my advice would be get the battery ASAP forget about the extra cost to get it in 2/3 weeks, if you wait until April 6 months or more, then things might change are there might be none to be had so get it while you can, a grand extra is a lot I know but you could perhaps get a lot of that back as you will have have been using it and saving money over them six months waiting until April.

As for solar East-West facing no it’s not ideal but it works fine, you might lose 10 % if that over a south set up my own array is almost fully south facing and in the summer months may not give out very much before about 9/10 AM, so I have been trying to find someone to fit panels on my east gable wall as that is in full sun from sunrise 05:30 ish, until mid afternoon most days, in fact around as much sunlight as the south facing roof array.
My sons home as a hip type roof and as 8 panels facing east and 8 facing south his output from both is almost identical over each day so I would go with it as long as you have no shading.

On YouTube there are many videos that show the way east-west perform, Daniel Coe, and EV puzzle, Nigel I think his name is, have a look at them to start.

Not to worried about the car battery it’s designed to to use on V2L won’t be doing that everyday and as long as you don’t go beyond its limits should not be an issue, one thing I have done is order the official MG adaptor for V2L May be a little more expensive than others on the market but if there became a problem, MG could not say that this cheap Chinese adapter was the cause of it, and I have read the warranty and nothing in there gives any limitation on use of the set up.
Les

Edit sorry Jester27 I got you name wrong earlier at the beginning of this now edited was only just waking up
Les

Last edited:
My Octopus go tariff finishes next month and I have recently received updated prices of 12p off peak, 42p peak. Combined with the reduction in octopus outgoing being only 4.2p relative to 15p on octopus variable I won't be moving onto the new tariff as it isn't cost effective even with 2 EVs.

I've mentioned this a few times, but the 34p cap rate is still workable for an EV ... even at 3.2 miles per kWh that's still only about 10.6p per mile (based on 50kWh available in the SE SR). You won't get an ICE that gives anywhere near that - my current diesel Insignia gives at best 15p per mile when doing long runs, 17p per mile more typically.

10 panels and you get 5.2kw? That’s 520watts per panel.
Mine is also 10 panels but only 4kw, the surveyor said 400 watts is the biggest they do!

Hmmm…
The largest I've seen are 405 watts. I have 12 of them (so 4860). Installed them myself in April (i'm in a bungalow with a single-slope, not very steep roof, so it was doable). Highest production i've seen was 4300 watts, realistically around 3.75k in summer. On a sunny day at the moment i'm ecstatic to see 2k :D

Thats my GivEnergy 9.5kw Battery solution ordered from First4Solar
£5995 all in including VAT and fitting
Cant do while April, but were on 5p / 13.9p Go tariff until may anyway
So all good.

Had a 2nd quote this morning from nationwide renewables
thirteen and a half grand !!!
for exactly the same kit
Oh thats the going rate he says

Oh how we laughed !!!
Well I did before hanging up on him.

Talk about cashing in !

Last edited:
Yes and for those like me getting an EV for the first time, 12p/40p is still a good deal and will save money over ICE.

But obviously if you have had the old rates or were fixed low, it will be a huge increase.
Even at those prices i will be saving a good chunk of money on my present petrol car which struggles to hit 30mpg on a good day.

Thats my GivEnergy 9.5kw Battery solution ordered from First4Solar
£5995 all in including VAT and fitting
Cant do while April, but were on 5p / 13.9p Go tariff until may anyway
So all good.

Had a 2nd quote this morning from national renewables
thirteen and a half grand !!!
for exactly the same kit
Oh thats the going rate he says

Oh how we laughed !!!
Well I did before hanging up on him.

Talk about cashing in !
Well done 👍

just paid my grand deposit today…..looking at an April installation which suits me fine finances wise.

Got wind that my proposal was only available till Oct 27th, and was told that very likely to be an up lift by April, possibly two!

Thanks to Liz I guess, and the return of horrific gas and Electric bills In April.

Never felt so good to commit to a massive (well for me anyway) Nigh on £11K bill 🤣

Well done 👍

just paid my grand deposit today…..looking at an April installation which suits me fine finances wise.

Got wind that my proposal was only available till Oct 27th, and was told that very likely to be an up lift by April, possibly two!

Thanks to Liz I guess, and the return of horrific gas and Electric bills In April.

Never felt so good to commit to a massive (well for me anyway) Nigh on £11K bill 🤣
I know right.

I've just signed up to spending £6k to basically continue to pay what I am now on my electric :p
Either way what ever it goes up to next April, Powering everything at any time at the Off peak rate is a no brainer.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back