Vanarama Issues

But what is the potential cost to someone that needs to cancel now and has the charger installed.
That cost is the argument.

When I originally ordered my car I was told that the charger would be installed 1 month after the car was delivered to negate this issue - between vanarama and ChargedEV they have then pushed the chargers.

Sticking with a car because of a free charger is ridiculous when noone actually knows they will ever arrive. I suppose it depends on everyone's own circumstances.

You can say people are sticking with the car because of the charger, Or having to stick with the car because of the charger.
Thing is people weren't given arbitrary dates, They were given exact dates, Mine was April 14th, Then March,Then back to April, And then the September, Ridiculous state of affairs.

Having waited in some cases 8+ months, I suspect there's many that are sticking it out as they don't want to join the back of another long queue.

Has anyone received any indication from Vanarama or ChargedEV as to how much the bill (for the charger) would be to settle the account and leave?!

I've heard a few people on here saying they've cancelled, some with and some without the charger. Has anyone been given a figure from the Company yet?

When I ordered my car the charger was "worth up to £990".

Taking the grant into account the max they should attempt to charge in my case is £640.

I believe the advertised price for a free charger now is £1049 or thereabouts.

All this charger business was so unnecessary, It says in the T&C that the charger must be fitted no later than 6 months after delivery of car.
I can only assume there are a lot of sale bonuses associated with all these chargers which is why there so quick to get them installed.
I've not had the call,I'm not gonna cancel as we have 2 cars so can wait, And the same car is now an extra 200 quid and you don't get the 250 quid cashback or insurance, So dare I say even with the extra £70 it still won't be bad in this day and age.
I think the 'push' so to speak was artificial. There were a lot of electric car orders at the end of last year as people tried to take advantage of the grants. I imagine there were more orders than could be quickly fulfilled. But there was then, probably, a drop off. So chargers were installed as quickly as the orders were received to either clear the backlog or ensure that they (charged ev) did the work and could bill Vanarama for it?

Given my car was due in March and I ordered in November, I was quite keen to get the kit installed as I'd heard on the grapevine that people were ordering cars (not through Vanarama btw) and then having to wait months for a slot with an installer to get the charger installed. So I was pretty pleased when mine was fitted in February. It's currently covered in cobwebs

When I ordered my car the charger was "worth up to £990".

Taking the grant into account the max they should attempt to charge in my case is £640.

I believe the advertised price for a free charger now is £1049 or thereabouts.
But you wouldn't be eligible for the grant if you cancelled the order? So you'd have to pay the full £1049 if you cancelled yes?

Has anyone received any indication from Vanarama or ChargedEV as to how much the bill (for the charger) would be to settle the account and leave?!

I've heard a few people on here saying they've cancelled, some with and some without the charger. Has anyone been given a figure from the Company yet?
I cancelled my order over a week ago. My email was acknowledged but I’m still waiting for them to confirm that the order has been cancelled or whether or not I will be liable for any costs. Last I heard the were “investigating” the matter.

All this charger business was so unnecessary, It says in the T&C that the charger must be fitted no later than 6 months after delivery of car.
I can only assume there are a lot of sale bonuses associated with all these chargers which is why there so quick to get them installed.
I've not had the call,I'm not gonna cancel as we have 2 cars so can wait, And the same car is now an extra 200 quid and you don't get the 250 quid cashback or insurance, So dare I say even with the extra £70 it still won't be bad in this day and age.
That’s a good point . I hadn’t really thought about it that way.

Thinking of calling them tomorrow and enquiring about switching to a Kia niro ev. Their site price is rubbish but they have a price promise so I'm going to put it to the test. That is assuming they will still let me have the free years insurance and 250 cashback vouchers. Can find the new niro elsewhere for about 90 more per month (on the great deal I got for the zs back in Feb) on a like for like basis with a Nov delivery. And imo it's a better looking car. Worth a convo at least.

Thinking of calling them tomorrow and enquiring about switching to a Kia niro ev. Their site price is rubbish but they have a price promise so I'm going to put it to the test. That is assuming they will still let me have the free years insurance and 250 cashback vouchers. Can find the new niro elsewhere for about 90 more per month (on the great deal I got for the zs back in Feb) on a like for like basis with a Nov delivery. And imo it's a better looking car. Worth a convo at least.
Do let me know plz

I'd assume the grant for the EV charger will have all been claimed and settled by now.
Yes, probably, between Vanarama, MG and the gov grant scheme I'm sure this money is now with Vanarama however.... You'll have seen the post from Vanarama CEO earlier in this thread where they refer to the outlay in cost they've had to install chargers. If the order is cancelled, they'd have to repay the grant back to the government as its probably still on a spreadsheet someone in the grant adminstrators office waiting to be ticked off once the car is delivered. As they couldn't transfer this grant to a new customer, this would probably be flagged to the scheme administrator and Vanarama would be billed the £350.

Yes, probably, between Vanarama, MG and the gov grant scheme I'm sure this money is now with Vanarama however.... You'll have seen the post from Vanarama CEO earlier in this thread where they refer to the outlay in cost they've had to install chargers. If the order is cancelled, they'd have to repay the grant back to the government as its probably still on a spreadsheet someone in the grant adminstrators office waiting to be ticked off once the car is delivered. As they couldn't transfer this grant to a new customer, this would probably be flagged to the scheme administrator and Vanarama would be billed the £350.
Was a condition of the EV Charge Point grant claim that you had an EV or that you had one on order at the time of the claim? This was true. Similar to someone who had an EV, claimed the grant for the charger, then subsequently sold their EV maybe, they won't need to repay it.

I believe it is ChargedEV who claim the charger grant rather than Vanarama. I recall when I had some private quotes from contractors for an EV charger, all that was required was proof of EV ownership or lease, or proof you had one on order. The installer would then claim the grant. There would not have been any follow up as to whether you sold the EV or cancelled the lease afaik.

I would therefore be confident that with regards to the chargers the grant would have been claimed and paid by now.

Last edited:
Just had a quick chat with someone from vanarama. Kia niro EV not expected till march or April so no different to the mg zs. Also would lose free years insurance offer if I switched now. Also was told that if I left vanarama that they would charge me an uninstall cost for the charger. So if I wanted to keep the charger they woul bill you full cost for it

**** sake. They’ll prob want the same price again for the engineers to come out and unhook it. Time to bunker down and see when these cars arrive 🫣🙄 The price is snowballing if we break contract and leave.

I’ve called today and they said no updates, more information from MG this week.

Couldn’t tell me anything whether even built etc… so potentially more information coming this week… who knows

Been toying with the idea of cancelling but not sure if it’ll be worth it with the increased £££££ to leasing and leadtimes.

Build slot Jan and delivery by April, Sales team is calling people to choose alternatives but they probably will be similar times scale unless its Renault Zoe

Disappointed to say the least

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom