Vanarama Issues

I had a call from Vanarama today advising the estimated delivery date of my ZS EV (SE LR) was now April. I ordered it 6th Dec 2021.
I ordered a mg4 a few weeks ago from my local dealer. Was told 8-16 weeks for that one. The (v slow) race is on to see who can get me a car first.

If they are calling us all for April, than surely cars will be ready by end of Jan at the latest for April delivery and these should be getting built just now

Why not? It seems everyone else will have had their cars by then, (even those who put an order in tomorrow) so only vanarama customers will be left!!!

Why not? It seems everyone else will have had their cars by then, (even those who put an order in tomorrow) so only vanarama customers will be left!!!
Made an enquiry to Jet leasing to see if the ZS's they are advertising were stock items. No was the response. They ordered in December last year and had about 3 left. ETA , April 2023.

Just had call - late April my delivery is expected with grant ending May.

Yikes
Not had the call but that's very tight in terms of keeping the grant.
It would only have to slip a few weeks to lose it.

I'm getting tempted to just swap the order and have another ZE50.

I take everything they now say with a very big bucket of salt.
The reason why so may are hanging on is because this deal was so good, We had no need for a new car, But 260 quid for a new electric car would have near on payed for itself in just the fuel saving at the time and was a win win, Not so much now at the stupid prices.
I will never cancel, Paying nothing for that box on my wall, Vanarama have cost me a lot more than £350, At the current prices it will be cheaper for them to swallow the charger cost, Even if a swallow the price bump and pay the extra 60 quid that is really going to hurt them a lot more than me.

But I'll tell you a story that has played out the last week or so, My mate ordered a Vauxhall 9 seater electric van thing a couple months after us with Vanarama cos he has 4 kids, And surprise surprise was told April, He's current lease deal was running out in April so all was great, Then he got the Phone call with the good old it's now coming September 1st, So to save hassle he payed monthly to keep the current lease going till then, But guess what, another phone call, Now this is were the bucket of salt comes in, The van is now not coming September 1st, It's now coming Saturday December 31st, Yep, He's getting he's van delivered on New Years Eve,What's doesn't add up is he said he was able to go on the Vauxhall site or wherever you go and it was say it had a build date of April.

As you can imagine this is now getting serious as the lease has to go back cos he's now had it an extra 3 months and he has 4 kids with all that entails, So yesterday while at work my wife took him to buy a car to see them through. So this morning the wife said 'Your never guess what, The bloke that sold us the car ordered an MG ZE EV Trophy in April this year direct through MG, He said he was sick of waiting and went down to just cancel it, But was told they now have a build date and he'll have it January'.

So, Will get our cars when every last MG Direct order is fulfilled and not before.

Interesting point about hoping we cancel. They won't waive completely the charger install charge of £350 for those cancelling, which you could argue would be a good incentive to entice people to cancel that already have the charger installed, at what would seem to be a small loss to them if it is believed they are running the clock down due to making a larger loss on the leases. Food for thought.

Also, when I contact MG UK directly with my MG order number, they give me an update but don't mention anything unusual about the order such as it's been put on hold by Vanarama etc. So, in theory once MG say it has a build slot etc then I would be expecting the car to be delivered a couple of months later.
Vanarama can't demand anything regarding the charger it wasn't them that installed it nor them that claimed the govt grant.

Vanarama can't demand anything regarding the charger it wasn't them that installed it nor them that claimed the govt grant.
I'm not sure you know how contracts work.

"Cancellation

If the installation of the Charge Point is completed prior to delivery of the vehicle or within Vanarama's return policy period and the lease is subsequently cancelled, the customer will be liable for the full cost of the charge point and installation (Vanarama’s return policy found here).

By ordering a vehicle, a customer is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these Terms & Conditions.

"

A Vanarama contract is not worth the paper it's written on ( that doesn't include the finance agreement by who ever your finance partner is) will happily have my day in a small claims court if they want to pursue it.

Fact is Vanarama are a joke. A total joke.

As I have been saying, Just don't cancel, Just forget about it, If you still need the car just swallow and take the extra 60-70 quid hit when and if it turns up, In this market it will still be a fantastic deal and Vanarama will absolutely choke on the idea of giving over a car at near on half market lease price.
If you you don't need it, Just say your not paying and the balls in there court, This has cost a lot of people a lot of money, Not just the loss of the grant, But in the time between November and today the price on lease cars has as good as doubled and new/Second hand cars have gone up thousands.
Instead of saying we have know idea when you car is turning up and we will take the hit on the charger and allow you to cancel, They just kept picking make believe dates out of the air, And there doing it with my mate, Dose anyone think he is getting he's on New Years Eve, No chance, So why have they said that.
Not only do I not need a wall charger, I couldn't afford to buy anything to plug into now, Electric car prices have gone mental with the cheap running costs also going out the window with the price of electric, If I need another car I'm just getting a petrol, Or at worse a Hybrid to plug into my FREE wall charger.

I'm not sure you know how contracts work.

"Cancellation

If the installation of the Charge Point is completed prior to delivery of the vehicle or within Vanarama's return policy period and the lease is subsequently cancelled, the customer will be liable for the full cost of the charge point and installation (Vanarama’s return policy found here).

By ordering a vehicle, a customer is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these Terms & Conditions.

"

It's a moot point if the lease is being cancelled as it has not commenced and the basis on which it was originally offered is not being honoured. I'd be fascinated to see what a decent Barrister could make of this if the person stated their willingness to continue with the lease as originally offered.

It's a moot point if the lease is being cancelled as it has not commenced and the basis on which it was originally offered is not being honoured. I'd be fascinated to see what a decent Barrister could make of this if the person stated their willingness to continue with the lease as originally offered.
I have no idea what you're trying to say with that first paragraph, it appears to be that you think there isn't a contract until the car arrives.
A decent barrister should tell you to pay up and stop wasting their time trying to get out of an entirely legal contract you signed up to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely enough, my brother in law is a civil lawyer. He has told me under no circumstances to pay anything for the charger or pay extra than I agreed at the outset. Not going into every detail about it on here but he has explained my rights based on everything I have shown him about this fiasco.

I already told them this on the phone as I said previously and they have agreed to waive any fee for a charger if the car doesn't arrive in time for this grant thing.

I suppose they are banking on people like the person above just to obey their demands without challenging it. I imagine they will have a decent success rate and get a few extra pounds that way.

I'm sort of hoping it doesn't come in time now I am bored of it!

Thanks for sharing that lisabetting.
Very valuable info if it comes to the grant expiring and us wanting to reject their price increase.

He has told me under no circumstances to pay anything for the charger or pay extra than I agreed at the outset.
You agreed at the outset to pay for the "free" charger if you cancelled the order.
If they choose not to enforce it then that's up to them but they're under no obligation, moral or legal, to not charge you.
Not going into every detail about it on here but he has explained my rights based on everything I have shown him about this fiasco.
That's a shame because I'd love to hear the rationale behind the argument that you don't actually have to pay for the charger that you agreed to pay for in the contract, if you cancel the order, when you agreed with the contract by placing the the order and then cancelled it.

There is a reasonable expectaion of service and duty of good faith in performance of contracts

If a company advertises 16-20 weeks with terms stating depending on other circumstances is unable to fulfil that contract with in reasonable time frame while other entities are, and there is evidence of your company not pursuing the suppier for either alternatives or fulfilling their side of the contract and this results in loss for end consumer than they have failed to fullfill duty of of due care to the consumer

We can only pursue Vanarama on this for damages due to above if they made mistakes in placing orders (held back for bulk ordering) or if they acted perfectly than they in turn can pursue MG for breach of contract on their side for not honouring orders in line with time of placement (if that was part of the initial contract or implied terms)

You agreed at the outset to pay for the "free" charger if you cancelled the order.
If they choose not to enforce it then that's up to them but they're under no obligation, moral or legal, to not charge you.

That's a shame because I'd love to hear the rationale behind the argument that you don't actually have to pay for the charger that you agreed to pay for in the contract, if you cancel the order, when you agreed with the contract by placing the the order and then cancelled it.
I'm not cancelling the order

I think most people accept they would have had to pay for the charger if they canceled, And most would of expected that, But not now.
As I said a while back, At the time this deal was not out of the norm, I got to the Vanarama deal through a link in a LeaseLoco Deal that was on HotUkDeals, As a matter of fact I still have the original deal Book Marked.
What they don't seem to understand or appreciate is that in the current market every month costs us money, The grant now runs out in May and the cars are now expected in April, That's lucky.
Have they been told this for a fact, What if come May and the cars not here, Do we just get a 'Sorry about that' and find we have wasted another 6 months on top of the previous 6 months we have already wasted.
People could say we should have canceled back then, But how could we, Back then it was if you cancel it will cost a £1000, After the uproar it was reduced to £350, So if we have no car come April will we still be expected to pay £350 to get out a contract for a car they can't deliver at the price and in the time stated at the time of signing said contract.
So the only way for me to get out of paying the £350 is to never cancel the contract, Which is fine by me, I'll just do that, I'll forever have a contract with Vanarama to supply me an MG ZS SE LR then.

But can anyone say this is a right and proper way for them to act, Keep stringing people along with dates they have no real faith in themselves.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom