Vanarama Issues

I would have called their Bluff, would cost them more than £350 to pay for someone to come and remove it, then they have a 2nd hand unit to deal with.

I would have called their Bluff, would cost them more than £350 to pay for someone to come and remove it, then they have a 2nd hand unit to deal with.
Fair’s fair though.. The agreement was quite clear that a cancellation might render the full cost payable and I don’t think the situation is entirely their fault. I’m happy with £350.

I think you would probably have to pay the removal costs anyway, not Vanarama!

Fair’s fair though.. The agreement was quite clear that a cancellation might render the full cost payable and I don’t think the situation is entirely their fault. I’m happy with £350.
£350 is reasonable, I don't think you could get a charger installed for anywhere near this cost. So assuming if you cancel and go on to get another EV you will at least have had a charger installed at a cheap rate.

£350 is reasonable, I don't think you could get a charger installed for anywhere near this cost. So assuming if you cancel and go on to get another EV you will at least have had a charger installed at a cheap rate.
Thing is, It's not £350, In my case it's £510 cos I had to have a breaker switch installed, In my case it also wouldn't be £510, It would be £3010 as don't forget we have now lost the government grant, This also doesn't include the time waiting in for two charger visits and one electric board visit.
And let's also not forget that cars have gone up in price, We didn't order these cars a couple months ago, It's gonna be 1 year come November, Back then the cost of living thing had not really kicked off, Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine, My little girl had just turned 12 and in 9 weeks she'll be 13.
Lets not make out there doing us a favour, It's give them £70 a month so they can keep there profit for a car that may turn up at some point this year or next, Or cancel and give them 350 quid for a charger I now don't need cos every Tom Dick and Harry wants an electric car and the prices have gone through the roof since I ordered mine nearly 1 year ago.
Why I think about it, If they are willing to take a hit on the chargers for them that cancel, Why can they not take off the same hit from the £2500 or £1500 for them that don't cancel.

I enquired with Vanarama in May22, I went for the Excite model(only type on offer), a 4 Year, 40,000 Miles and No upfront payment deal.

A fortnight into to the enquiry I went to an MG Dealer, to see what the car I was interested in looked like.

I also wanted to know whether or not my disabled wife could access the car easily, and if the boot was big enough for the wheelchair.

Both queries satisfied, I asked the dealer about the likelihood of receiving these cars in a reasonable time, his response was that he could only proffer hearsay about Vanarama's expectations as being very optimistic.

I asked what likely deals an actual on the ground supplier could offer based on my criteria.

He came up with a deal for £20 a month more on an Exclusive model, and a very good chance of an delivery in August, so cancelled my interest with Vanarama

I duly signed up with the dealer, and took delivery on August 1st 2022.

Brilliant choice and very happy with the deal and car, drives like the proverbial dream.

Wow. Some of you are very easy to negotiate with...... you are actually saying sitting waiting on a car for nearly a year, getting mucked about with dates changing, getting threatened with an 80 poind a month increase on what you agreed, but then ONLY having to pay £350 for a charger that has sat idle and doesn't have a car to go with is a good deal and Vanrama have been fair??! Wild.

How would they respond if we were to get the car then say, "sorry I am just going to be sending you £80 a month less than we agreed as circumstances have changed".

It is the worst customer service I have ever known. No options that are presented at any time benefit the customer, it is either a) wait for an unknown amount of time and pay 80 poind a month more than you agreed b) cancel and pay money for a charger you have never used or will not need in the near future as you have no electric car.

I will be paying no extra money, and paying nothing for any charger, if they want to remove it fine but they will be paying me for damage to walls etc.

Wow. Some of you are very easy to negotiate with...... you are actually saying sitting waiting on a car for nearly a year, getting mucked about with dates changing, getting threatened with an 80 poind a month increase on what you agreed, but then ONLY having to pay £350 for a charger that has sat idle and doesn't have a car to go with is a good deal and Vanrama have been fair??! Wild.

How would they respond if we were to get the car then say, "sorry I am just going to be sending you £80 a month less than we agreed as circumstances have changed".

It is the worst customer service I have ever known. No options that are presented at any time benefit the customer, it is either a) wait for an unknown amount of time and pay 80 poind a month more than you agreed b) cancel and pay money for a charger you have never used or will not need in the near future as you have no electric car.

I will be paying no extra money, and paying nothing for any charger, if they want to remove it fine but they will be paying me for damage to walls etc.
Spot on.

Good luck with your fight with Vanarama. In my case I cancelled my order with them and was lucky enough to find a cancelled order MG5 at my local MG dealership. Therefore, £350 was a cheap price to pay for my charge point. I wish you well but I’m afraid life is too short!

Good luck with your fight with Vanarama. In my case I cancelled my order with them and was lucky enough to find a cancelled order MG5 at my local MG dealership. Therefore, £350 was a cheap price to pay for my charge point. I wish you well but I’m afraid life is too short!
Plus the extra £2500 grant money you couldn't take advantage off.
Charger not really that cheap.
Dose Vanarama honestly think I'm just gonna cough up 350 quid cos they made a balls up.
I never asked them to install the charger before they had cars.

Ass assgoat said, Some seem very happy to hand over 350 quid with no argument, I am actually gob smacked, Pay £350 for something that may never get used, I think not.
It's amazing that they don't even seem to think there is anything wrong with people waiting what could be 18 months or more, No compensation, Not even a we will swallow the 2500 because it's an inexcusable length of time to wait, Nothing, Pay £350 to get out or pay an extra £70 a month and wait an unspecified length of time, An absolute joke.
What's worse is they have been trying to ring me all week during the day, How do they think people earn money, We don't all work from home,And when I do get half hour to ring the number they leave it's constantly engaged.
Absolute shower of, I'll leave it there.

Plus the extra £2500 grant money you couldn't take advantage off.
Charger not really that cheap.
Dose Vanarama honestly think I'm just gonna cough up 350 quid cos they made a balls up.
I never asked them to install the charger before they had cars.

Ass assgoat said, Some seem very happy to hand over 350 quid with no argument, I am actually gob smacked, Pay £350 for something that may never get used, I think not.
It's amazing that they don't even seem to think there is anything wrong with people waiting what could be 18 months or more, No compensation, Not even a we will swallow the 2500 because it's an inexcusable length of time to wait, Nothing, Pay £350 to get out or pay an extra £70 a month and wait an unspecified length of time, An absolute joke.
What's worse is they have been trying to ring me all week during the day, How do they think people earn money, We don't all work from home,And when I do get half hour to ring the number they leave it's constantly engaged.
Absolute shower of, I'll leave it there.
I think you are correct, when you put it that way.

However, notwithstanding their over zealous’ness (is that a word??), to install the chargers well before a date received for the delivery of a car their customers had ordered, seems very profiteering, moreso when the onus is put upon the customer that they have to have one installed within six months of receiving their car….ha ha h , seems very laughable and questionable now,

for me, they issue lies with MG. They are the ones whom seem unable of meeting customers orders, beit Fleet, modality, or dealership customers.

MG, in my view, have created a dogs dinner of an ordering process, and they should be liable if they now have cars being delivered outside of the grant, for its then to expire. Let alone the fleet orders they have and should also meet.

Any penalties, should be on them. Not the lease companies, nor the dealerships, nor the customer form down the road.

I'm still haven't been told definitively that I'm going to be paying more. But I've had enough of waiting. So it's a second hand Leaf with 6,000 miles on the clock for me and a loan from the bank to pay for it (minus a part-ex on my diesel)

Good luck to you all waiting for your cars. I hope they're worth it

Are Vanarama regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority ?
I typed your very words into Google and it came up with this... :)

1661070650350.png

I order a LR Trophy in November. 10k miles, £2.2k first payment. With free insurance and £xxx voucher. Had the dreaded phone call and my increase is £52 not the £70 odd most seem to be quoting. Just wondering, as the car will arrive with a sunroof, this would make the resale in 3 years time higher! Also noted that prices ( lease) are falling slightly.

I order a LR Trophy in November. 10k miles, £2.2k first payment. With free insurance and £xxx voucher. Had the dreaded phone call and my increase is £52 not the £70 odd most seem to be quoting. Just wondering, as the car will arrive with a sunroof, this would make the resale in 3 years time higher! Also noted that prices ( lease) are falling slightly.
And when will you get the car,Bet they couldn't tell you that.
52 maybe down to how much upfront you agreed to pay, I ordered the SE under the same deal with 3 months upfront(£750).
I'm gonna tell them that my circumstances have change and I didn't get the pay rise I thought I was getting and I want my original repayment reduced by 50 quid.
By there logic that's a perfectly reasonable request.
I actually clicked on the charger T&C link,And there appears to have been a lot of frantic updating of late, Especially this bit.

A customer will need to ensure that they have claimed this offer, entered their details on the claim form and started the app onboarding journey before 01/02/2022, in order for the offer to be free. If they do not, the install partner will be unable to claim the OLEV Home Charger Grant against the charge point application. Therefore, the customer will be required to pay the cost of the amount that the grant would have contributed (£350 including VAT) if they wish to proceed, which will be paid directly to our install partner.

In cases of cancellation or abort of installs, the supplier will review each application on an individual basis as necessary, however no guarantee can be made that the OLEV Home Charger Grant will be able to be claimed. This may mean that the customer is required to cover the cost of the amount that the grant would have contributed towards the cost of the charge point and install (£350 including VAT).

So if this happens again,If people read the T&C's they will know they could be billed £350, So how is it Vanarama has been acting as if they are doing everyone that has been messed about for nearly a year some sort of favour when they said we could pay £350 to get out.
So basically, Anybody that took out a lease at the end of or start of last year can get stuffed, Pay our now standard £350 charger get out, Or pay the extra on your lease, Whichever ever way you read this now, The only ones that don't lose,Are Vanarama.
Well done Vanarama for some of the worse customer service I have ever come across, And I've dealt with Curry's.

Last edited:
And when will you get the car,Bet they couldn't tell you that.
52 maybe down to how much upfront you agreed to pay, I ordered the SE under the same deal with 3 months upfront(£750).
I'm gonna tell them that my circumstances have change and I didn't get the pay rise I thought I was getting and I want my original repayment reduced by 50 quid.
By there logic that's a perfectly reasonable request.
I actually clicked on the charger T&C link,And there appears to have been a lot of frantic updating of late, Especially this bit.

A customer will need to ensure that they have claimed this offer, entered their details on the claim form and started the app onboarding journey before 01/02/2022, in order for the offer to be free. If they do not, the install partner will be unable to claim the OLEV Home Charger Grant against the charge point application. Therefore, the customer will be required to pay the cost of the amount that the grant would have contributed (£350 including VAT) if they wish to proceed, which will be paid directly to our install partner.

In cases of cancellation or abort of installs, the supplier will review each application on an individual basis as necessary, however no guarantee can be made that the OLEV Home Charger Grant will be able to be claimed. This may mean that the customer is required to cover the cost of the amount that the grant would have contributed towards the cost of the charge point and install (£350 including VAT).
Sneaky 😵‍💫

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom