VIBRATION ISSUE - hot off the press!

Well...this is what Gary Smart from MG has sent meView attachment 25625
Are you trying to reject your Xpower? Have you bought it in the last 30 days? If within the last 30 days, you can reject no questions asked, its UK consumer law is my understanding. After 30 days the dealer has one chance to fix the car when reported in the first 6 months of ownership. If they can’t and then refuse to accept the rejection, then I would think you would need to speak to the car ombudsman and open a case and citizen advise to check your rights.

March 2024 is the build date?
I ordered the car in January, there was no stock in the UK, it came over from China early March and I got it end of March, I couldn’t say when it was actually built

That is pretty outrageous IMHO. Was this someone from MG UK or a dealer?

Pretty concerning as we are awaiting rejection and replacement of our new X-Power.
If you are rejecting the Xpower, you should put it in writing to the dealer and look to have it back with them within the first 30 days, this way you get your maximum consumer rights. This is what I was advised and went and hired a car until my new car I have gone for arrives, in a couple weeks. When I mentioned the fault to my dealer, my dealer looked to try and say they needed to look at it and they could not look at it until after the 30 days, as once you are past the 30 days, your rights change. I replied in writing stating no need to look at the car, as I’m rejecting it under consumer law.

If you are rejecting the Xpower, you should put it in writing to the dealer and look to have it back with them within the first 30 days, this way you get your maximum consumer rights. This is what I was advised and went and hired a car until my new car I have gone for arrives, in a couple weeks. When I mentioned the fault to my dealer, my dealer looked to try and say they needed to look at it and they could not look at it until after the 30 days, as once you are past the 30 days, your rights change. I replied in writing stating no need to look at the car, as I’m rejecting it under consumer law.
Thanks - have followed this procedure - logged vibration fault on day of collection, dealer had it in a week later confirming vibration and that no fix currently available - I then put in formal rejection letter and have agreed in principle to have a replacement vehicle. Waiting for an update now.

I just rejected my March 2024 Xpower back to the dealer, came off the boat a couple weeks before I picked it up, it was quite bad with the vibrations. Dealer said one of the worst yet. There is no fix for any Xpower currently brand new or older the dealer said. As long as you don’t go over 60mph, you are good.
But when was it actually built, ok it's registered March 24 but possibly could've been built before Oct 23. As we've been led to believe X Power's built after Oct 23
haven't got the vibe. To be honest don't think anyone, MG themselves, the dealers, and the owner's know what the hell is going on. 😡

Thanks - have followed this procedure - logged vibration fault on day of collection, dealer had it in a week later confirming vibration and that no fix currently available - I then put in formal rejection letter and have agreed in principle to have a replacement vehicle. Waiting for an update now.
Are you having a replacement being a 2nd Xpower or going for the extended long range, as same price?

Are you having a replacement being a 2nd Xpower or going for the extended long range, as same price?
Replacement X-Power as it's the model we really want. I test drove 2 of these before deciding to buy and neither had the vibration issue so keeping fingers crossed for the replacement.

Replacement X-Power as it's the model we really want. I test drove 2 of these before deciding to buy and neither had the vibration issue so keeping fingers crossed for the replacement.
Hopefully you get a good one, hope you do and would be good news that it is possible to get one that does not have the issue.
When I test drove the dealer car, I didn’t go on the motorway and put the cruise control on at 75mph unfortunately. I did with mine and was real bad, went back to the dealer and tried their version and it was there, but not as bad as mine.

Up hill, motorway, cruise control at 75mph, if no vibration, then you are on to a winner!

I ordered the car in January, there was no stock in the UK, it came over from China early March and I got it end of March, I couldn’t say when it was actually built
Was there not a plastic wallet in the glovebox with a Certificate of Conformity inside? That has the build date. Another option (if the CoC isn't there) is to look at the QC label underneath the parcel shelf ... that probably gives a close-enough clue as to the build date.

Was there not a plastic wallet in the glovebox with a Certificate of Conformity inside? That has the build date. Another option (if the CoC isn't there) is to look at the QC label underneath the parcel shelf ... that probably gives a close-enough clue as to the build date.
The car has been given back to the dealer already, so can’t check, sorry. My dealer said no fix was in place for new or old, as I did look into get a 2nd one.

Hi all,
I get my xpower tomorrow. Brand new so I will try and find out when it was manufactured and let you know if it vibrates.

If you want to take some pictures and get them up here......

We love piccies of new X Powers!👍

So i have written confirmation that the issue will be covered by warranty and will be fixed, they mention a kit coming out soon, final distribution in a month or two.

I wont hold my breath.

I'm glad your not holding your breath m8 cos I reckon you would die.😵‍💫

Last edited:
And if it's the steering damper kit ... it doesn't work.
Yeah MG UK have now acknowledged this - I spoke to a master technician at Hendy Poole late last week and he confirmed they've been instructed not to fit anymore as he agreed himself they do nothing.

Morning all,
Took delivery this morning, asked the guy who dropped it off, no vibrations when going over 60, he drove from Darlington to York then York to Beverley, 100 miles ish.
I’ve driven it briefly to work and had no issues.
Will update again this evening when I’ve had a proper drive in it. Just so I’m clear, what vibration am I looking for, steering wheel etc?
Thanks

Morning all,
Took delivery this morning, asked the guy who dropped it off, no vibrations when going over 60, he drove from Darlington to York then York to Beverley, 100 miles ish.
Will update again this evening when I’ve had a proper drive in it. Just so I’m clear, what vibration am I looking for, steering wheel etc?
Thanks
I would describe it as a 'shudder' felt through whole body but more noticeable through steering wheel at a steady speed from 65mph to 75mph (I call it a shudder as passengers could feel and hear it too). Ours was worse on smooth road surfaces.

Morning all,
Thanks

Well thats promising … my symptoms are slight compared to most, but I notice it as a slight feeling in the hands, kinda like a vibrator .. umm .. sorry ignore that, I mean a slight vibration

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom