Volvo EX30 thoughts

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Good evening all,

So I’ve just preordered a Volvo EX30, I’ve confirmed with them and you get your £500 deposit refunded at any time prior to handover ( useful as there isn’t going to be one in the country for months to look at / test drive )

Even if the volvo is what I want, I need to have a stern talk with myself if want to chop in the MG4 and spend the extra to get it.

Anyone else in the same boat ? I think the EX30 is going to be a game changer for the market - premium extremely well equipped electric SUV for £33.7k ! Makes the Germans looks outrageous for wanting £50k for the X1 and GLA.

I’m also very interested in the EX30, especially the performance version, but I’m also interested in the Smart #1 and the forthcoming MG4 performance version which I believe is going to be called RS4?
So I’m just going to wait until next year after I’ve actually see them in the fresh first.
But I must admit, the Volvo is my favourite so far.

Looks the same as every other SUV to me . Get a child give them a crayon and get them to draw a car . Hey Presto the SUV is born.

The 4 is a pretty generic hatchback too, looks like any Astra/Focus etc
Once you feed all the requirements for a car into a computer and then introduce type approval rules and crash requirements, they will all look the same and there’s only so much leeway for designers.

Good evening all,

So I’ve just preordered a Volvo EX30, I’ve confirmed with them and you get your £500 deposit refunded at any time prior to handover ( useful as there isn’t going to be one in the country for months to look at / test drive )

Even if the volvo is what I want, I need to have a stern talk with myself if want to chop in the MG4 and spend the extra to get it.

Anyone else in the same boat ? I think the EX30 is going to be a game changer for the market - premium extremely well equipped electric SUV for £33.7k ! Makes the Germans looks outrageous for wanting £50k for the X1 and GLA.

Except the premium extremely well equipped version is north of 40K

If we we we buying now I think my money would go to the Volvo - its just going to be a better car, better quality, better support and only fractionally more expensive - Like you I think the base version has everything we would want. Yes I might loose the 360 camera and electric seats but the safety tools will just work unlike all the problems we know and "love" with our MG4s.

It does make a mockery of the 40K astra

The 4 is a pretty generic hatchback too, looks like any Astra/Focus etc
Once you feed all the requirements for a car into a computer and then introduce type approval rules and crash requirements, they will all look the same and there’s only so much leeway for designers.
a2e9447b-2d28-48ea-a866-922f52399751.jpeg

Edited_06-04-2023_WF0NXXGCHNPK54489-1.jpg

003.jpg

Still can't see your similarities bowfer, maybe except the fact it's a hatchback, and the paint is white on these ones.

View attachment 18221
View attachment 18222
View attachment 18223

Still can't see your similarities bowfer, maybe except the fact it's a hatchback, and the paint is white on these ones.

Thanks for putting so much time into proving my point.
Hardly vastly different.

Volvo looks like a nice car, but a concern for me is the app, after four years you have to pay an unknown amount to continue to use it

All manufacturers will go down this route.
They are going to have to be more creative with generating income to make up for lack of repairs and servicing income.
If you think MG will keep their app free, I think you’re wrong.

All manufacturers will go down this route.
They are going to have to be more creative with generating income to make up for lack of repairs and servicing income.
If you think MG will keep their app free, I think you’re wrong.
Never said I thought that. Only stated that is Volvo's intention, not MG's at present. So you are making an assumption there only

The astra at £39/40k is looking like it's onto a loser straight away, I see some big discounts coming with that soon

Looks are a very personal thing with cars. Personally I really dislike the orange colour, and the spoilers on the Trophy, but lots of people love them.

I was in the market for a "generic Golf-style hatchback", on a budget, and took one look at the MG4 SE and said "I can have that for how much?" It really stood out to me as flashier and more interesting-looking than the competition.

And to be fair, lots of people I know agree. Lots of people admiring the colour, and lots of remarks about "You should see the snazzy new car she's got!"

Looks are a very personal thing with cars. Personally I really dislike the orange colour, and the spoilers on the Trophy, but lots of people love them.

I was in the market for a "generic Golf-style hatchback", on a budget, and took one look at the MG4 SE and said "I can have that for how much?" It really stood out to me as flashier and more interesting-looking than the competition.

And to be fair, lots of people I know agree. Lots of people admiring the colour, and lots of remarks about "You should see the snazzy new car she's got!"
I’m always on the motorway at night time.
I must admit the rear light bar on the Trophy is one of the best looking at night, and the second best looking is the Porsche 911. 😊

You say you dislike the spoilers on the Trophy, but I look at that area on the SE and it looks unfinished like something is missing. Horses for courses I suppose.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom