Volvo EX30 thoughts

We were talking about the merits of the EX30 vs the MG4 XPower and who was interested in which one.
I'd expressed interest in both but since I had a call today from Holdcroft in Stoke about the MG4XP order window I thought I'd let the thread know that I've ordered one.
Right thread, sorry if you're not interested in it.

Fair enough, just that’s there’s a thread for that car where they might share your excitement.

Just had an email from our local Volvo dealer.
EX30 PCP on 10000 miles a year is £2499 down and £489 a month.
Bit steep, but launch models usually are and I’d expect cheaper after a few months.

Just had an email from our local Volvo dealer.
EX30 PCP on 10000 miles a year is £2499 down and £489 a month.
Bit steep, but launch models usually are and I’d expect cheaper after a few months.
What model was that, just the standard range?

“Plus single motor”

Doesn’t say battery size, maybe the plus is significant there?
Plus is the trim level (plus and ultra)

I've checked it's for the 213mile range one it appears.
The extended range (298) is considerably more

Plus single motor - 213

Plus single motor extended range - 298

You obviously then get the plus twin motor.

the ultra trim level only comes in the extended range and the twin motor

I did this comparison table just for interest (fun?), while in the glow of MG4XP excitement, the EX30 is in there showing it is a fair bit more expensive for the similar performance version. Not a fan of the Volvo look either:
MG4 Xpower 3.7s 0-60 3.8s 0-62 mph £36.5k
Volvo EX30 3.6s 0-62 £41k
Porsche Taycan std 5.4s 0-62 £79k
Taycan 4S 4.0s £91k
Turbo 3.2s £126k
Turbo S 2.8s £148k
Audi e-tron 50 6.5s £59.5k
Audi e-tron GT 4.1s £85k
Tesla model Y perf 3.5s £60k
Kia EV6 GT 3.5s £62.5k
Hyundai Ioniq 5 N 3.5s £60k
Skoda Enyaq iV RS 6.5s £52.5k
BMW i4 M50 3.9s £71k
Polestar 2 4.7s £50k
Ford Mustang GT 3.7s £74.5k

Kia Nero EV2 7.8s £36.5k
Renault megan e-tech 7.5s £37k

MG4 undercuts the Kia EV6 GT by a whopping £26,000.

I did this comparison table just for interest (fun?), while in the glow of MG4XP excitement, the EX30 is in there showing it is a fair bit more expensive for the similar performance version. Not a fan of the Volvo look either:
Porsche Taycan std 5.4s 0-62 £79k
Taycan 4S 4.0s £91k
Turbo 3.2s £126k
Turbo S 2.8s £148k
Audi e-tron 50 6.5s £59.5k
Audi e-tron GT 4.1s £85k
Tesla model Y perf 3.5s £60k
Kia EV6 GT 3.5s £62.5k
Hyundai Ioniq 5 N 3.5s £60k
Skoda Enyaq iV RS 6.5s £52.5k
BMW i4 M50 3.9s £71k
Polestar 2 4.7s £50k
Ford Mustang GT 3.7s £74.5k

Kia Nero EV2 7.8s £36.5k
Renault megan e-tech 7.5s £37k

MG4 undercuts the Kia EV6 GT by a whopping £26,000.
I get where you are coming from re your comparisons, but to just look at the 0-60 time then compare price isn't really showing the whole picture.

Every car on that list is miles ahead of the MG4 in terms of quality, range and kit, but as I've said in relation to bang for buck it's out there on its own.

It's exactly the same with the normal 4 it's not the best in terms of quality or kit but is the best value for what you are getting.

Which is why the SE models get all the plaudits and the SE SR shows as the pick of the model range

We’ll be going to see an EX30 sometime soon.
My wife is self employed and boot space is always the key factor in any car for her.
We don’t need the interior space of the Evoque and Sportage she had before that any more.
The local dealer is doing some cracking deals on ICE XC40s though, might be hard to get her into an EV for a while yet… 😞

I can't really see the point of this comparison, but suspect that many people would feel that the Volvo is worth the extra £4.5k. Personally, I don't like it as it doesn't have a proper dash, but then many people buy Teslas ;-)

I can't really see the point of this comparison, but suspect that many people would feel that the Volvo is worth the extra £4.5k. Personally, I don't like it as it doesn't have a proper dash, but then many people buy Teslas ;-)

And the MG does?
It’s a small screen in front of the driver.
🤷‍♂️

It was just for a fun comparison and for me it was one of my main attractions to this particular variant. I am 63 and wanted to drive a 3 second car before I get too old to! My current 5 sec ICE car feels awesomely fast when you want to push it, which isn’t that often but it is great to have it in reserve. Sometimes a faster car is safer to get out of peoples way quicker. Plus I still enjoy driving. I have driven quite a few other EVs and the overall balance of practicality, refinement, external size, performance and cost of the MG4Xp was what clinched it for me, not just the 0-60. Everyone has there own balance on these things.

Also the V2L capability of the MG4 is attractive me, I’ve read of people powering their whole house with up to 7kW of household consumption, particularly attractive for me at the moment as I am sat here in a power cut as I type!

Everyone has there own balance on these things.

Also the V2L capability of the MG4 is attractive me, I’ve read of people powering their whole house with up to 7kW of household consumption, particularly attractive for me at the moment as I am sat here in a power cut as I type!
As you say, everyone has a different set of priorities...

According the the ev-database, V2L is still limited to 2.2kw

We’ll be going to see an EX30 sometime soon.
My wife is self employed and boot space is always the key factor in any car for her.
We don’t need the interior space of the Evoque and Sportage she had before that any more.
The local dealer is doing some cracking deals on ICE XC40s though, might be hard to get her into an EV for a while yet… 😞
Bear in mind only 3 yr warranty (8 yr battery) on the EX30 and boot space only 318L on EX30 versus 363L MG4 Xp. Surprising .

That was for a short period with quite a few safety features built into the system.
I don't think he was recommending that for any prolonged period
Nontheless the limit was 7kW. The car turned off the power on going over that but retried and turned back on when on lower power demand afterwards so quite intelligent and protective. A very useful level of power.

I'm sure it says in the X power thread it's boot is cut to 289litres or similar normal 4 boot is 363l and bear in mind the MG 7 year warranty has a lot of components drop off after 3 years.

Good evening all,

So I’ve just preordered a Volvo EX30, I’ve confirmed with them and you get your £500 deposit refunded at any time prior to handover ( useful as there isn’t going to be one in the country for months to look at / test drive )

Even if the volvo is what I want, I need to have a stern talk with myself if want to chop in the MG4 and spend the extra to get it.

Anyone else in the same boat ? I think the EX30 is going to be a game changer for the market - premium extremely well equipped electric SUV for £33.7k ! Makes the Germans looks outrageous for wanting £50k for the X1 and GLA.
On an MG forum? Why? Being an expensive Chinese car the VOLVO EX 30 shows its European roots by NOT providing V2L functionality. It has towing capabilty for a caravan but only on a version 50% more expensive as the MG4. To become popular in EU an EV should have towing capability for min 750kg because the millions of users are not going to get rid of their light trailer because they want to trade in their car for an EV. The only added value currently offered by an EV is VTOL and the VOLVO does not have that.

the MG 7 year warranty has a lot of components drop off after 3 years.
Which components are you concerned about? I looked over the MG warranty statement and it seemed good with reasonable limits: https://cdn.mgmotor.eu/files/MG-Warranty-Statement_ENG_2022-11-14-091431_mhle.pdf

The only significant exclusion after 3 years I could find were:
“• The infotainment, convenience systems and driver aids are covered by 36 months or 72 000 kilometers warranty (whichever comes first).
• EV charging point door and cable(s) are covered by a 2-year warranty.
• The Paint Warranty covers the MG vehicle for 3 years or 72.000 Km”
With the rest being 7yrs that is still better than most including Volvo who only do 3yr on most parts.

And the MG does?
It’s a small screen in front of the driver.
🤷‍♂️
Isn't that what it is in most cars (Tesla, Mini excepted), a small screen/display in front of the driver ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom