Volvo EX30 thoughts

This is interesting. I've currently got an MG4 SE SL and was looking to change it for an MG4 XPower. The performance EX30 may be a competitor. Similarish pricing I expect (44k for the volvo, I've not seen the price for the XPower yet, but I'm expecting 40k).

If there are no volvos in the country yet and MG gets a wiggle on, that might work in MGs favour.

Watching with interest.

This is interesting. I've currently got an MG4 SE SL and was looking to change it for an MG4 XPower. The performance EX30 may be a competitor. Similarish pricing I expect (44k for the volvo, I've not seen the price for the XPower yet, but I'm expecting 40k).

If there are no volvos in the country yet and MG gets a wiggle on, that might work in MGs favour.

Watching with interest.

Who you going to trust more to make a performance version work?
Volvo with its motorsport history, or MG’s first go at it….! (Please don’t anyone give me any nonsense about MG’s sporting history, it’s irrelevant to the Chinese MG)
No contest for me, I think MG are trying to run before they can walk with the problematic MG4.
Try building it well and make it reliable before making it faster…

Volvo with its motorsport history, or MG’s first go at it….! (Please don’t anyone give me any nonsense about MG’s sporting history, it’s irrelevant to the Chinese MG)
No contest for me, I think MG are trying to run before they can walk with the problematic MG4.
MG

You really do have a downer on MG and anything to do with MG don't you ?

We understand the problems that you had and feel for you, but not everybody has had the same experience as you. In fact the vast majority have had a good if not very good experience with their cars, and still are.

It's getting a little monotonous all these anti-MG pourings.

Yeah, good point. I think maybe I've been lulled into a sense of security since my MG4 had been great with no issues at all. So if I just got a dual motor version of mine I'd be really happy. I'd dearly love a drive mode physical button but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I do like the handling of the car and I think it feels reasonably nimble.

The EX30 is interesting because of the performance specs but it looks a bit chunky. I've driven the c40 and xc40 and they felt a bit wallowy.

I think I'd be prepared to order an MG4 XP without driving one because of my current MG4 experience, not sure I'd be brave enough to order an EX30 without a test drive. I've had Volvos before but not electric ones. That might make a lot of time difference if I can get hold of one of the first issue MG4 XPs.

I'll see what happens.

I've been as negative as anyone with regards MGs attention to detail and customer service.
From a no knowledge whatsoever point of view I think they have delayed the X power to try and iron out the kinks in the 4 by having it on the road for nearly a year, try and get that sorted then take the lessons learned into the X power software/hardware, as much as they can.

I do however think it will be a huge hit.

In my honest opinion to make it a sure fire hit I think my wishlist would have included a dedicated physical drive mode button, lka button and potentially dedicated regen buttons/paddles I have all these on my current car and I think the would be a big plus for it, the ability to press one physical button and knock it off as your driving down narrower country lanes is a big bonus, as are the other two things I highlighted.

That and a slightly more upmarket cabin (seats, stereo etc) I think it has the seats! If it breaks the £40k mark it will need that little bit more attention to detail, I'm sure it probably will, they will do the same for the Cyberster, they will have to at it's price point.
I do hope it is a hit anything that shakes up the market and forces manufacturers to be competitive can only be a good thing (Volvos new pricing proves that) sadly vauxhall would appear not to have noticed.

Last edited:
I've been as negative as anyone with regards MGs attention to detail and customer service.
From a no knowledge whatsoever point of view I think they have delayed the X power to try and iron out the kinks in the 4 by having it on the road for nearly a year, try and get that sorted then take the lessons learned into the X power software/hardware, as much as they can.

I do however think it will be a huge hit.

In my honest opinion to make it a sure fire hit I think my wishlist would have included a dedicated physical drive mode button, lka button and potentially dedicated regen buttons/paddles I have all these on my current car and I think the would be a big plus for it, the ability to press one physical button and knock it off as your driving down narrower country lanes is a big bonus, as are the other two things I highlighted.

That and a slightly more upmarket cabin (seats, stereo etc) I think it has the seats! If it breaks the £40k mark it will need that little bit more attention to detail, I'm sure it probably will, they will do the same for the Cyberster, they will have to at it's price point.
I do hope it is a hit anything that shakes up the market and forces manufacturers to be competitive can only be a good thing (Volvos new pricing proves that) sadly vauxhall would appear not to have noticed.

Vauxhall RRPs have always been akin to DFS RRPs
Something irrelevant to be ignored.

Watching with interest.
Reading a few of the details, it would seem that the performance of the MG drops to align with the standard volvo performance (5 sec ishy to 62?) once battery drops to 20%. More rummaging around the specs under the headlines of both needed I think?

Last edited:

Watching with interest.
I have seen a reference very recently, to the AWD MG4 possibly being £38,000 but cannot find where I saw that now, so maybe fantasy, but we can dream.
It will be making a visit to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year as will the Cyberster.

Interesting argument seeing as Volvo are owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, a Chinese company which owns over 15 other vehicle makers and the EX30 will be made in China.

Interesting argument seeing as Volvo are owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, a Chinese company which owns over 15 other vehicle makers and the EX30 will be made in China.

As I’ve said before, it’s not ‘where’ something is made it’s ‘how’ it’s made.
Clearly not all factories in China build stuff the same way, so it’s down to how they’re told to build them.
I’m pretty confident Volvo will be more demanding of its factories than MG currently are.
I’m not really sure why you’ve taken it as an anti-Chinese thing, it isn’t.

Clearly not all factories in China build stuff the same way, so it’s down to how they’re told to build them.
I’m pretty confident Volvo will be more demanding of its factories than MG currently are.
Your reading more into my post than is there. I was just pointing out that they are both Chinese owned. Anyway I'm not going to bite.
OK Just a little bit 🤣

I absolutely certain Volvo (Geely) won't be more demanding than MG (SAIC).

We were talking about the merits of the EX30 vs the MG4 XPower and who was interested in which one.
I'd expressed interest in both but since I had a call today from Holdcroft in Stoke about the MG4XP order window I thought I'd let the thread know that I've ordered one.
Right thread, sorry if you're not interested in it.

We were talking about the merits of the EX30 vs the MG4 XPower and who was interested in which one.
I'd expressed interest in both but since I had a call today from Holdcroft in Stoke about the MG4XP order window I thought I'd let the thread know that I've ordered one.
Right thread, sorry if you're not interested in it.
Did your dealer give you an estimated delivery date?

No, in fact she said that whilst the order books were open, there was no information yet about what finance deals were available yet. I'm not sure of whether that's because it's early in the window or because the BoE interest rates are changing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom