Webasto heater ? JUST INSTALLED :-)

Hallo Gandalf, think you are also referring to me maybe?, Henri8, as I was the one who installed a Webasto heater here in the Netherlands last January.
Chatted with Jabo a lot to exchange info which helped a lot(y)
I left the country for two months and are now using it with pleasure and have the following details:
Installation was performed by Car Cool Center in Amersfoort, a Webasto dealer. They installed it all without problems and we decided to add the Quick Kit, also called Island Kit. Two extra valves limit the the cooling agent to be heated in the carheater radiator circuit only and not in the ICE circuit, thereby shortening the heating process.
109FC05C-DBB5-4434-83B1-5C05E8E656A1.jpeg
Because, as Jabo stated, you cannot see much of it after installation, I asked the owner Paul to take some pictures in the process.
DA7D1094-A4ED-4E8E-A2A3-3D1304AD7B38.jpeg75DC5BA1-756F-409F-9713-02E7E3EC9FBF.jpeg9EAD07F7-B6C5-47FC-AC10-ADADBE2207DB.jpeg72905D2C-4F69-4848-9B58-48FE6CA3056B.jpegBB88B226-B8F1-4F25-AD68-A53B20A677F2.jpegB2F439B1-FE88-4D28-A85F-69650F289816.jpeg1C9FB1FE-C709-4E0A-83E4-47FD28A83BF1.jpegB44AED64-E038-441C-8057-8C0AEFFE4C8C.jpeg
You can see that the heater assembly unit is placed in front of the right wheel well and the fuel pump is placed underneath the car bottom while the fuel pickup is on the fuel tank under the bagage floor. The on/off knob is placed under the Starter knob. Long distance remote control via the Webasto app works fine with the possibility to preprogram departure times and cabin temp as well as battery voltage always available. Also GPS/GEO fencing and tracker presented. Annual account €35
Fuel consumption heater 0.4 l/h average

Detailed costs as follows:
Thermo EVO 4 €585
installation kit. €191
Island kit. € 50!
ThermoConnect kit via app. € 375
IPCU. €. 78
Labour. € 600
BTW (VAT) 21%tax. €395
Total. €2273
If you have enough apps on your phone you can save money by choosing a wireless key-like handheld on/off switch with limited info like cabin temp, saving the ThermoConnect kit and labour costs.

Shortly I will give more info how to use this before and while driving in a new post… Coffee!

Last edited:
And now some Webasto user tips to consider:
This Webasto heater is designed to heat the cabin before departure only and not really for use during EV driving in a hybrid car. However it is allowed to use the heater while driving and with certain actions it functions well.

In order to change settings of the HVAC before and after WB use, it is important to use the Start/On function. This startbutton function is rarely used but very handy in this case because both engine and motor are inactive while all other systems are available ( see user manual page) You can change HVAC temp settings without the ICE kicking in.

009B4E0A-F815-43CF-A9F2-5E81C93E7BCF.jpeg
So, Start/On is active by pressing the button twice without touching the brake pedal

According to both JABO and me it is important to have the outflow ventilation valves fully open during preheating as it shortens the preheating time:
After parking your car and expecting WB to act before the next ride, select Start/On and set HVAC temp to High. Then deactivate HVAC (long press the temp switch on the lower dashboard)
WB will now have unrestricted flow to heat the cabine while the internal fan is running.
At departure time with your convenient inside temp select Start/On again and select HVAC at a temp not higher than 2 degrees above the indicated cabin temp.( As the WB temp pick up is in the lower section and the MG pickup mid section the real cabin temp is about 2 degrees higher.)
Also select EV if not on already and you may select Start/On Ready by also pressing the brake pedal.
All this should keep EV active while heating keeps working. WB officially claims continues operation is safe but my dealer advises one hour, which is sufficient with only about 50 km EV range. You should also switch off WB manually before arrival using residual heat. The App times can also be programmed to limit user time.
In my experience preheating to a somewhat higher value (20+) give better heating output because the outflow valves are more open (setting 22/23)
After arrival you perform the same routine again for the next stretch.

I realise this seems a rather complicated procedure but in practice it is simpler than in writing.
Things are easier if you just deactivate HVAC before preheating at normal temp inserts and accept a somewhat slower process in preheating time...
Did I forget anything JABO? Please indicate...or correct me...
For Dutch owners who are interested, please feel free to contact me directly about this WB dealer etc.
Lunch!
Keep warm....
Henri

Last edited:
Hallo Gandalf, think you are also referring to me maybe?, Henri8, as I was the one who installed a Webasto heater here in the Netherlands last January.
Chatted with Jabo a lot to exchange info which helped a lot(y)
I left the country for two months and are now using it with pleasure and have the following details:
Installation was performed by Car Cool Center in Amersfoort, a Webasto dealer. They installed it all without problems and we decided to add the Quick Kit, also called Island Kit. Two extra valves limit the the cooling agent to be heated in the carheater radiator circuit only and not in the ICE circuit, thereby shortening the heating process.
View attachment 7805
Because, as Jabo stated, you cannot see much of it after installation, I asked the owner Paul to take some pictures in the process.
View attachment 7806View attachment 7807View attachment 7808View attachment 7810View attachment 7813View attachment 7811View attachment 7812View attachment 7809
You can see that the heater assembly unit is placed in front of the right wheel well and the fuel pump is placed underneath the car bottom while the fuel pickup is on the fuel tank under the bagage floor. The on/off knob is placed under the Starter knob. Long distance remote control via the Webasto app works fine with the possibility to preprogram departure times and cabin temp as well as battery voltage always available.
Detailed costs as follows:
Thermo EVO 4 €585
installation kit. €191
Island kit. € 50!
Thermo app. € 375
IPCU. €. 78
Labour. € 600
BTW tax. €395
Total. €2273
Shortly I will give more info how to use this before and while driving in a new post… Coffee!
Thanks Henri, very useful information.
I indeed wanted to address you but typed the wrong name, my bad!
Will receive my car next week (2021 demo Exclusive) and want to order my thoughts beforehand.
I have 2 questions now:
1. the WB is installed before the right front wheel. When installation is complete, will it remain exposed?
2. did you check with MG if this install will affect the warranty?

Thanks, Bert

Hi Bert,
Welcome to the MG club here and hope you enjoy your new car!
You can always click on my avatar and send me private messages if you like..
  1. The Heater is totally invisible and hidden behind the right bumper section as all other components except the on/off switch
  2. Yes I did and as long as a failure is not caused by this system warranty is still valid. In fact most Webasto heaters are installed in high end cars of well known brands all over the world. Webasto is a German world leader in heating systems of cars, boats and RV's

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom