What are your rapid charging experiences with GeniePoint?

What are your rapid charging experiences with GeniePoint?

• Charged fine

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Had some problems but mostly ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can’t charge most of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can never charge on GeniePoint

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Can never charge on GeniePoint and my car was screwed after I tried

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Have had successful charge(s) but also had my car fail on occasion(s)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Following @Stuwit46’s thread here
Have you had success or failure charging your MG5 on a GeniePoint rapid charger?

Please vote and post your experiences, thanks

I used the Geniepoint at my local Morrisons to test rapid charging before my 1st long trip. I found that I had to have my MG5 unlocked to start charging, but it worked fine, and I was impressed with the average 40KWh I got as I started at 40%.

I used Asda’s free GeniePoint near me several times max speed has only been 20kw and one time it would not charge and the car would not start.it had a fault. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and moved to one of the over charges there where it worked.

one time it would not charge and the car would not start.it had a fault. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and moved to one of the over charges there where it worked.
Same happened to me today, but after 5 mins turned off the car did wake up before I got to disconnecting the battery.

we have free Engie Rapid chargers in our area until October.
Which I believe are provided by Genie
Which is nice......
Tried 2 today at different locations and at between 20 and 40% battery on both.
They were both only outputting 20.2 kW rather than the up to 50kW they should be.
I know there are other variables at play but that is pretty poor.
I was hoping to top up to about 80% within the 70 mins allowed free parking time, but pulled out on both early after getting very little from each.
Does the ZS still have slow charging issues with the Genie Chargers ??
I've read that Genie were updating them to work with the MG ZS properly.
Maybe these have been missed as they are branded Engie rather than Genie
I also had a moment after charging where the car wouldnt go into Ready Mode, but thankfully it did after a few restarts and a good push on the Brake Pedal.

(First post)
I rapid charged at Morrisons yesterday for the first time (I've only had the car 3 days) to 97% and I got the 'System Fault' and 'HV battery offline' messages, and couldn't start the car after repeated attempts...
Waited 10 mins and it eventually started OK.
Hope there's nothing wrong with the car and that it was a Geniepoint issue....

I think there's a pattern emerging where charging above 90% on certain chargers causes an issue with the MG5. I think it's a problem with the way the current is stepped down at higher states of charge. I wouldn't ever be rapid charging above 90%, certainly not on a Geniepoint.

(First post)
I rapid charged at Morrisons yesterday for the first time (I've only had the car 3 days) to 97% and I got the 'System Fault' and 'HV battery offline' messages, and couldn't start the car after repeated attempts...
Waited 10 mins and it eventually started OK.
Hope there's nothing wrong with the car and that it was a Geniepoint issue....
The HV fault comes on when there is an unexpected stop of charging, and the car plays safe for about 10 minutes preventing the contactors from engaging the HV battery. If someone presses the emergency stop on a rapid you will also get this. Another example of this can occur if you ignore the manual that says do not have the car in ready when charging, and stop charging with the car powered up.

The HV fault comes on when there is an unexpected stop of charging, and the car plays safe for about 10 minutes preventing the contactors from engaging the HV battery. If someone presses the emergency stop on a rapid you will also get this. Another example of this can occur if you ignore the manual that says do not have the car in ready when charging, and stop charging with the car powered up.
I had to use the emergency stop with Genies blessing as their whole network had issues, app started charge but wouldn’t finish it so plug was locked in and charging, another car was on the 7kw line also unable to disconnect. The red button sorted it, did not have a HV system fault or any problem with the car, I wasn’t charged for my charge either. Bonus.

Had this problem with a bp pulse fast charger. Left it for a while and came back to 95% showing. Then the charger stopped itself. And unlocked cable.
Got in and system failure then hvb disconnected when starting. As others after 10 minutes all back to normal. But caused a worry and call to aa beforehand. I'm talking to dealer Monday to see.what they say as it is quite a worry to uninitiated on car few days old. But seems easy solution just cut off beforehand. Or live with extra 10 mins!

If you're using the BP app, can you checkin on the status of charge whilst away from the chargepoint so I know to return before 80% etc?

If you're using the BP app, can you checkin on the status of charge whilst away from the chargepoint so I know to return before 80% etc?
No it gives time only on mine. Only the screen on the machine showed %. A pity as would seem simple upgrade, lets try to suggest to them!

Dear GeniePoint, thanks for nothing... Literally! After a 10 minute blather of signing up on the app, finding 2 of the 4 charge points at Oswestry Morrisons weren't working, I finally managed to "start charging", however the car (currently still in the MG ZS) thought otherwise, and said not charging. The "pump" merrily counted the time, and showed "0 kWh"... Another couple in a Hyundai Kona couldn't get the app to work at all. After about 20 wasted minutes, we all decamped to a nearby InstaVolt charging station. Both working, no app, no sign-up just contactless tap - plug-in - charge - go. Simples! What an overly complex model from GeniePoint and ultimately useless if the pump can't figure out you're not drawing any current?

Dear GeniePoint, thanks for nothing... Literally! After a 10 minute blather of signing up on the app, finding 2 of the 4 charge points at Oswestry Morrisons weren't working, I finally managed to "start charging", however the car (currently still in the MG ZS) thought otherwise, and said not charging. The "pump" merrily counted the time, and showed "0 kWh"... Another couple in a Hyundai Kona couldn't get the app to work at all. After about 20 wasted minutes, we all decamped to a nearby InstaVolt charging station. Both working, no app, no sign-up just contactless tap - plug-in - charge - go. Simples! What an overly complex model from GeniePoint and ultimately useless if the pump can't figure out you're not drawing any current?
I agree instavolt is so easy and quick to.use, worth paying 40p per kw/hr. Had a Geniepoint fail 3 times last week and still waiting for the 3 x 5 to be returned to my bank account

With the new podpoint rapid at tesco it failed again (twice in a week) and they take a £30 prepayment which takes days to come back into your account if it fails. Pod Point Support kept telling me they could see it charging their end

I agree instavolt is so easy and quick to.use, worth paying 40p per kw/hr. Had a Geniepoint fail 3 times last week and still waiting for the 3 x 5 to be returned to my bank account
Must admit, I thought it said 30p/kWh, which I know is a fair premium over home charging, but TBH I had 10% SoC and it was simple, quick... And worked

Arf

So, big brave boy today, used the geniepoint at work. So here goes....
Set up my account prior and registered my payment card. Plugged in, wafted my card over the terminal and it began charging. 4 hours later, wafted the card back over and unplugged...that was it. 25kwh used at 10p per kwh. I was hoping for much more inconvenience....

Well you are lucky..it doesn't always go that smoothly..I had quite a few bad experiences with Geniepoint and Podpoint in my first week so I feel i am now more prepared for it to go wrong and if it doesn't its a bonus. Instavolt still the most reliable (for me anyway), even though they are 40p.

Well you are lucky..it doesn't always go that smoothly..I had quite a few bad experiences with Geniepoint and Podpoint in my first week so I feel i am now more prepared for it to go wrong and if it doesn't its a bonus. Instavolt still the most reliable (for me anyway), even though they are 40p.
I am expecting this experience to be a one off! (also to add, of the chargers, one was faulty...!)

Following @Stuwit46’s thread here
Have you had success or failure charging your MG5 on a GeniePoint rapid charger?

Please vote and post your experiences, thanks
@Stuart Wright
ZS EV owners are reporting similar problems. Please, can this poll be made available in ZS EV area as well.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom