Will upgrade all speakers and add a sub

In the SE the Equaliser/Balance control only allows a Forward to Mid bias ... as there are no speakers you can't drag the slider any further back than middle.

And I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone has already looked - no rear speaker wiring in the SE.
That's correct. There is another thread on here, someone checked, no wiring in rear doors, but they found head unit, and added wiring in. There is a wiring diagram on there as well

A quick note for those of you who use DAB a lot, like me

Surprised this morning by the lack of bass on a track I know well (Soul Makossa), I logged on to my favourite radio station via Android Auto to see what my phone sounded like.

The DAC that converts the DAB signal into an analogue signal is just pitiful on the MG4. And I've already change the front speaakers for Focal ISU.

My phone isn't exactly top of the range (Pixel 4a), but I've never heard it sound so bad.

I was wondering about the subwoofer and the rear speakers, but in fact I need to change the DAC on this piece of crap... :roll:
I don't know if we can change the DAC?

It looks like the DAC may be integral to the DAB module. The DAB module to Infotainment system connections look like they may be analogue (two pairs of signal and ground).

I find that sometimes the DAB quality is poor but switching to FM (or a station from the full list) and back again to a DAB favourite improves it no end. That usually manifests as dropouts, or a background crackle though.

It looks like the DAC may be integral to the DAB module
Is there a dedicated DAC for DAB or is there a single DAC for the audio module?
At home on my DAB tuner, the sound is identical whether the source is DAB or internet, which is not at all the case on the car.
I've been using TuneInn app on the phone, via Android Auto, the sound is night and day different (better) to the stock DAB radio. Not really a solution, more of a workaround
I think I will do the same...

've been using TuneInn app on the phone, via Android Auto, the sound is night and day different (better) to the stock DAB radio. Not really a solution, more of a workaround
TuneInn uses streaming services which are typically a higher bitrate than DAB so will sound better simply by virtue of containing more data, nothing to do with the DAC.

Besides most phone DAC's are rubbish, even in expensive phones. You can buy a £20 USB DAC which will improve analogue headphones no end and the inbuilt one in any half decent digital headphone will perform better if it's using a higher bitrate bluetooth codec. If it's just normal bluetooth there's no way of making it sound not crap.

TuneInn uses streaming services which are typically a higher bitrate than DAB so will sound better simply by virtue of containing more data, nothing to do with the DAC.

Besides most phone DAC's are rubbish, even in expensive phones. You can buy a £20 USB DAC which will improve analogue headphones no end and the inbuilt one in any half decent digital headphone will perform better if it's using a higher bitrate bluetooth codec. If it's just normal bluetooth there's no way of making it sound not crap.
At home on my DAB tuner (hama DIT 2105sbtx), the sound is identical whether the source is DAB or internet, which is not at all the case on the car.
This applies not only to low frequencies in particular, but also to the output volume, which appears to be different in the car between listening to DAB and listening to android auto.

Hello.
As I will try to add speakers at the back on my SE, could someone explain how to remove the front door of the globe box please?
Thanks !

I finally got the sub installed. That wasn't easy at all. I went through a rubber gasket on the right side to get power from the 12V battery. Unfortunately, the gasket popped out of its insert and I haven't managed to get it back in.

The harness with the wires for the head unit is apparently an item you can not buy adapters for. I ended up using T-connectors as you can see in the picture. I will improve this later on.
View attachment 15126

My assumptions on the colors for the speaker wires:
View attachment 15135
The sound is really really good now. The sub just adds the missing link to a great sound stage. I'm not done yet though. Next week I will be getting a Pioneer GM D1004 4-channel amplifier. I will also add some more sound dampening to the doors as that bass travels too much inside the plastic.
Hi MG4DK which wire did you tap to use as the remote turn on for the subwoofer? Ie the ignition 12V switch for the head unit? Or did you find you didn't need to because you are connecting to speaker input leads?

are there anybody that have see if there is some phone line output to subwoofer or just line out. Its quite difficult to find information on that for MG4, would love to have a underseat woofer under both front seat. but a active sub need a proper lineout from the radio unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first had mine, I was miffed that I couldn't get the audio I wanted to play on it. line in essentially, so I bought a Roland R07 and record onto that in Wav and the head unit reads off it and plays. It's lovely to hear crackling vinyl on it it really is.

I'll be receiving my new MG4 standard range soon and I'm a little intimidated by what I've read about the audio quality of the stock system. Is it actually that bad? I'm asking because it seems really strange to me given that all the recent cars I've tried, even the cheap ones, have a very respectable stock system. If the MG's is that bad, will I be able to improve it just changing the woofers and tweeters without adding amplifiers or changing the wiring in the infotainment system?

Last edited:
I find the audio system in my SE SR to be fine. I guess it depends on what sorts of audio systems you're used to, and your hearing fidelity. (I heard that, pardon!) :)

@Alansurfer what spec amp would be good to run the Vibe speakers?

After @shinyrobot linked the MG harness above, I looked into Match, and they do a 5 channel amp with DSP, which should improve the sound even further. I've done the Vibe speaker upgrade, it's clearer but the bass isn't to my liking. I've had to greatly reduce the treble in the factory EQ, which is only 5 band. The Match 5.4DSP has a 30 band EQ, available for each of the four channels, plus time alignment etc. Match also do a small 200W sub (PP7E-D) that's suitable for the amp/DSP. Seriously thinking about getting this kit. It will be mostly plug and play because of the harness. Although the installer wants to power the amp from the fuse box rather than direct from the battery with inline fuse, which I find weird?

Just came across this thread and wanted to link a video I found on YouTube.
They did an amazing job, but best of all they explain all the steps in removing the trim etc!

Has anyone found an audio T-harness for the MG4 yet?

Looks like audiotec-fischer wins first prize.
Anybody know if this works wothout the Match-amplifier?

Thread 'MG4 Stereo ISO(?) adapter' MG4 Stereo ISO(?) adapter

Anybody know if this works wothout the Match-amplifier?

Thread 'MG4 Stereo ISO(?) adapter' MG4 Stereo ISO(?) adapter

You should be able to rewire that harness with a suitable plug, just need the MG4 wiring diagram, it's on here somewhere.

I'm getting a Match amp installed next week with that harness.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom