Wind screen wiper continuously running even when car is powered off by ignition. It been running all night?

Mohammed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All
I have issue with my MG ZS Ev. Since yesterday my wind screen wiper is continuously running. Even when is car is powered off and all door are locked. It been running all night. Has anyone in this group had similar issue and if yes what is fixed please? Does anyone else know if this is covered by the warranty? My best guess is either rain sensor is at fault or the nub which turned the wiper on or off. Any help l would be greatfull.

turn car on (to charge 12v battery)
turn the w/wipers to max, then to min, see if it turns off, if not then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 10 mins (you need 10mm spanner)
re-connect battery
If w/wipers malfunction again call AA?

Hi Alb
Yes l tried what you have suggested but unfortunately it has not worked. As soon as connecting the negative cable back on 12v batter the wiper started again. I have ring the dealership to book with them and they said have no availability for two week. Buy then even my 45 kWh battery will die.

Any other suggestions please?
I have asked dealership if this fault will be covered under warranty. They said we not sure untill we identify the problem but it seem to me they are trying to buy pass the warranty by telling me all MG car need to be serviced by dealership every year is this true and has anyone had warranty issues on their MG EV previously?

Any garage can service any make of car, and as long as they follow the manufacturer's recommendations and use genuine parts, then the warranty is still valid. However, in the UK, you will lose the annual renewal of the free breakdown cover with the AA (worth about £150). Also, other garages may not have the MG specific software for their diagnostic computers.

Can you remove the fuse which controls the wipers?
Good shout !.
One of the fuse boxes is located under the bonnet, the second is behind the glove box on the passengers side.
The wiper fuse is located in the fuse box under the bonnet.
It looks like it's fuse F7 from this picture taken from the manual ( Page 268 ).
This should kill the feed to the wiper relay's and in turn, stop the wipers from operating.

Fuse box 1 2023-07-27 at 19.44.50.png

Fuse box 2 2023-07-27 at 19.45.06.png

Fusebox 3  2023-07-27 at 19.44.34.png

Hi All
Thanks you for help and support, l have now taken out the fuse now. It has temporarily stop the wiper but when l insert the fuse back on it just star wiper again. It seem like either problem with relay or rain sensor. I have wait two weeks before dealership can have look at my car. :(.

Any advice about warrenty on the car? Do you have service every year? if l have l not got service then does it invaldate my warranty? I only do about 7000 miles year so l did not get any altert on screen saying u need to get car service. Has this happened to anyone else in this group.

Removing the fuse was never going to provide the fix, it was only intended to stop the wiper motor from overheating / burning out, or from depleting your 12 volt battery.
To comply with the T&C's of the 7 year MG warranty, you need to have a service performed annually, regardless if you are a low mileage user case.
MG even offer a cheaper price for low mileage user cases.
This can be a little as £40 for the first service, so I am a little confused why it has not been performed ?.
How old is the car and what is it's total mileage covered, has it received any services and when was the service(s) due ?.
SO, is your 7 year warranty now invalid ?.
Depending on its current service history ( or lack there of ) I would certainly think so - sorry :(.

The problem is probably in the wiper motor which has a "parking switch" that ensures the wipers park in the correct place. If that switch breaks in the "made" condition, the wiper just doesn't know when to stop! It needs a new wiper motor.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom