Window tinting pictures request

I chose my car specifically because it was already tinted (ex demo from Chorley Group), love it 😍. Photo in previous message, sorry!

Last edited:
Hi all I am thinking of getting my windows tinted but wanted to see if anyone can post any pictures to let me see how it looks?
I am not sure if I want to only get the back windows tinted to the darkest I can go or to go with back and front also.
Any pics will be helpful
Thanks in advanced
I think tints are worthwhile for privacy of anything left on the rear seats, UV reduction and appearances. Hopefully you will agree on the latter seeing the photos. Pentagon of Reading, who had previously tinted my Defender that I had for 9 years, put ‘Limo’ on the rear windows and tailgate to match the roof tints and ‘Light Smoke’ on the front side windows, to keep it legal whilst minimising the contrast if they were left clear. One of the best recommendations Pentagon made was to have the rear quarter lights done in ‘Midnight’ to avoid the white trim showing through giving a ‘polo’ effect. Whatever you do, I hope you are as happy with the results as we are.

Attachments

• 7CBE4DD8-2076-4B14-9311-30AB4BE3923F.jpeg
    7CBE4DD8-2076-4B14-9311-30AB4BE3923F.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 964
  • 2DB35132-9A87-47EA-87F7-0934D66FFD27.jpeg
    2DB35132-9A87-47EA-87F7-0934D66FFD27.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 1,125
Front windows really need done as well as the rear to avoid the difference in contrast. Doesn’t cost much extra either.

Attachments

• B90D8129-43C1-4BDA-8504-35BABD8F87DF.jpeg
    B90D8129-43C1-4BDA-8504-35BABD8F87DF.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 842
  • 6A0F7E0F-570D-4CA9-B08F-BD25D1421E0F.jpeg
    6A0F7E0F-570D-4CA9-B08F-BD25D1421E0F.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 1,240
Potentially silly question (and I must admit I haven't checked yet), but our ZS EV is purchased on a PCP deal, so would a window tint not be allowed, as you don't actually own the car, so can't make alterations presumably?

What would a typical cost for this be please?
I'm in Chelmsford too, and want to get this done if I can, to stop the sun frying the kids in the back. I'm looking at these people in Chelmsford, but haven't got as far as a quote yet.

I'm in Chelmsford too, and want to get this done if I can, to stop the sun frying the kids in the back. I'm looking at these people in Chelmsford, but haven't got as far as a quote yet.

Globaltint is just a national franchise with lots of independent guys working under their umbrella. Google for reviews of local rep and other companies.

Pentagon Reading charged £410 for all windows except windscreen. Not the cheapest but I have experienced their quality before and no complaints after 9 years (except the car was stolen). Cheaper companies tend to cut the film on the windows that can leave scratches and gaps. Done properly the film is precut to a template before fitting - no scratches, no edges showing even in those strange rear 'port holes'. Worth a mention again, go as dark as possible in the rear quarter lights or the light colour trim shows through and looks strange

Got mine done by GT at home in SWF. £150

I had a local quote (Wirral) for rear @ £170 but they won't do the fronts. So got a quote initially from Global tint also for £170 rears plus £60 for minimum tint on front sides.

Then decided to book with GT but they changed quote to £210 for rears as they class it as an SUV instead of 5 door hatch apparently. Eventually got them to agree to £150 for rears (including their "FB20" Facebook discount) and £60 for fronts, if we decide to do those on the day.

Having to wait until end of April for a slot but will post photos once done.

I had a local quote (Wirral) for rear @ £170 but they won't do the fronts.
Some tint guys will not touch any glass from the "B" pillar forward.
The guy who did my car has been tinting windows and carrying out "tint install training" for over 20 years and will not touch front glass, at any price.
He told me to go to "Global" if I want the fronts doing.
Some installers are super cautious !.

Depends if the tinter wants to spend £150 to buy the equipment to test if windows are tinted. And when most of the time front windows and windscreen is fully tinted to max from factory, the tinter might think its a waste of money....

Some tint guys will not touch any glass from the "B" pillar forward.
The guy who did my car has been tinting windows and carrying out "tint install training" for over 20 years and will not touch front glass, at any price.
He told me to go to "Global" if I want the fronts doing.
Some installers are super cautious !.
And don’t forget to inform your insurance provider as it is seem as a modification

Depends if the tinter wants to spend £150 to buy the equipment to test if windows are tinted. And when most of the time front windows and windscreen is fully tinted to max from factory, the tinter might think its a waste of money....
Sounds reasonable for them to be cautious. Do we know if the ZS EV has no tint to any glass and is 100% clear from factory ? Global Tint have assured me the fronts can be done legally to 70% with UV/heat protection and give a written guarantee.

But is it a modification as far as a PCP agreement is concerned?
On a PCP if you are handing the car back then the finance company may charge you for the cost of removing the tints.

Sounds reasonable for them to be cautious. Do we know if the ZS EV has no tint to any glass and is 100% clear from factory ? Global Tint have assured me the fronts can be done legally to 70% with UV/heat protection and give a written guarantee.
Although the glass on the ZS EV is deemed to be clear / totally untinted.
Due the glass manufacturing process, no glass is completely clear.
I guess the glass in the ZS EV is about as close as your likely to get, with regards to clear.
Try this, put one of the front side windows down about half way, then place a sheet of white A4 paper behind the Inside of the glass.
50% behind the glass and 50% above the glass.
Now tell me that the glass is completely clear !.
I decided not to restrict visibility through the side windows at all.
Legally the rear side windows and screen can be as dark as you like, but don’t go to dark IF you don’t intend to go with tinting the fronts, otherwise the contrast could be to great.
My installer said that the small tiny windows in the rear quarter panel was a pain in the bum to get right.
They took longer to get right than any of the other windows.
The access is so limited.
When I declared my tints to the insurance company, they did not load the premium and they are itemised on the policy.
They never asked how many windows have been tinted strangely enough.
Some companies will not allow tints, some only permit the rear glass to be tinted, others are more lenient.
I would check first with your insurance company before going ahead, is my best advice.

Although the glass on the ZS EV is deemed to be clear / totally untinted.
Due the glass manufacturing process, no glass is completely clear.
I guess the glass in the ZS EV is about as close as your likely to get, with regards to clear.
Try this, put one of the front side windows down about half way, then place a sheet of white A4 paper behind the Inside of the glass.
50% behind the glass and 50% above the glass.
Now tell me that the glass is completely clear !.
I decided not to restrict visibility through the side windows at all.
Legally the rear side windows and screen can be as dark as you like, but don’t go to dark IF you don’t intend to go with tinting the fronts, otherwise the contrast could be to great.
My installer said that the small tiny windows in the rear quarter panel was a pain in the bum to get right.
They took longer to get right than any of the other windows.
The access is so limited.
When I declared my tints to the insurance company, they did not load the premium and they are itemised on the policy.
They never asked how many windows have been tinted strangely enough.
Some companies will not allow tints, some only permit the rear glass to be tinted, others are more lenient.
I would check first with your insurance company before going ahead, is my best advice.
Thanks for the reply @Lovemyev .

I thought I'd test the front glass as you suggested so here's the result below.
There's definitely a slight tint in the glass but minimal and not shown that well in the photo.

As @Fishettibean mentioned before, unless you want to spend cash on a proper light testing kit, the percentage is debatable but hopefully the clearest tint that GT do keeps the fronts legal and still gives the UV/Heat protection that I'm after.

The local company that quoted me said for the tiny rear quarter-lights they remove the inner white trim panels to get a cleaner finish, at the risk of potential squeaks and rattles though..?

I'll be having a word with my own insurers beforehand but hopefully no problem there.

IMG_20210325_162556.jpg

The local company that quoted me said for the tiny rear quarter-lights they remove the inner white trim panels to get a cleaner finish, at the risk of potential squeaks and rattles though..?
I would give that idea some serious consideration to be honest.
If they brake any of the locating tabs when removing the trims, then you could end up with a rattle that will drive you mad !.
The dealer will not replace them under warranty, so you could be paying the replacement costs.
I know NONE of the trims where removed on my car.
The tint guy said he had to do the little quarter windows TWICE until he was totally happy with the install.
He back's up his work with the understanding that the tints are covered for 10 years, or what ever time I own the car ( unless the film is damaged by the owner in some way, like trips to the local skip with garden waste, branches etc.)
I am happy with that.
Good luck with your choice.
I did consider having the front side windows done at one point, but I did not let my heart rule my head.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom