Windscreen replacement woes

Got another call from Autoglass to make the appointment to get the windscreen changed. This time the person on the phone was very adamant that it is up to Autoglass to get MG to calibrate the car and therefore we don't wait until the MG booking, So my car is booked in for 11 september to get the glass changed. No idea when it will be calibrated.

We have not cancelled the MG booking for 12th October because I am not sure that everyone at Autoglass reads the same script. And I might still have to get my car calibrated on 12th October.

Windscreens are a particular problem . Mine was replaced at a body shop then taken to MG dealer for calibration. 6 weeks wait for a screen.

Autoglass have the glass and want to replace it in 4 days. The problem is that I then have to take the car to mg to get it calibrated. And mg can't do that before 12 October. So I have delayed the windscreen replacement till closer to the mg appointment.
See the thread I posted entitled "Windscreen Replacement".
I had to have a new screen in May and it took 3 weeks then for Auto Windscreens to obtain one from MG.
The fitting was very straightforward and quick but the calibration was the headache.
Auto Windscreens said they would recalibrate but they only had a total of 9 fitters nationwide to do the work.
They then tried to recalibrate on two separate occasions but failed as the car software would only load to 75%.
Eventually it had to go to the dealer who charged for the work, but Auto Windscreens reimbursed that charge.

I went through similar process with Autoglass and calibration at MG Dealers.
MG Dealer Required 5 Atempts over 2 months Replacing Camera Ass'y and updating
software on various modules, eventually calibrated but unsure of cause.
Other related issue is that I was able to permenently disable LKA now it defaults to ON.

I had something similar on my previous car with ADAS with autoglass - in that they wouldn't touch the car, as the car had a fault code (not related to ADAS?). However auto windscreens did it no issues in branch, and sorted out the remaining payment directly with the insurance company.

I have heard that calibration just involves driving it around on suitable roads. But probably it needs some engineering mode first, anyone
Yes, I know you can do this on a VW car or park it 1200mm from a wall (horizontal ground, and perpendicular to wall) (I think its only for the ACC distance sensor part). From recolection you go into engineering mode and select static or dynamic calibration - I assume that SAIC / MG will use a similar system. My understanding is that (certainly when i spoke to auto windscreens was that), they check for fault codes, but dont change the calibration only check it (if a new problem shows up after changing the windscreen).

Probably a little bit of both but I can understand MG wanting to keep a close eye on their new car. Hopefully they will relax some of their control as the software becomes more reliable.
Maybe because, MG & SAIC are Chinese state owned. Not great relations between us at the mo as we have just arrested a researcher for spying for the Chinese ! 😎

Maybe because, MG & SAIC are Chinese state owned. Not great relations between us at the mo as we have just arrested a researcher for spying for the Chinese ! 😎
Stuff going on in the EU and USA as well at the moment, there was a program on one of the sky news channels talking about it,added to that the ongoing issues around Taiwan.
They reckoned the only option the west has would be trade sanctions, would be interesting the impact that would have on Chinese made goods (which seems to be just about everything) especially the state owned companies which would potentially be hit hardest.

Stuff going on in the EU and USA as well at the moment, there was a program on one of the sky news channels talking about it,added to that the ongoing issues around Taiwan.
They reckoned the only option the west has would be trade sanctions, would be interesting the impact that would have on Chinese made goods (which seems to be just about everything) especially the state owned companies which would potentially be hit hardest.
Bit laughable really.... they put all their eggs into the basket of a less than friendly peoples republic for short vision profits.

Sanctions on Chinese goods will never happen - it would be too damaging to the West.

Sanctions on Chinese goods will never happen - it would be too damaging to the West.
Bold statement and I wouldn't guarantee it, the program went into why it could now happen and it's basically to head of a more damaging conflict.

The Chinese economy is in a bit of a mess and they reckon economic and trade sanctions would now cause far more damage to the Chinese than the west.
Countries were happy to take the damage caused by Sanctioning Russia and the resultant energy crisis.

Like I said I wouldn't guarantee it, they will not let the Chinese play politics with the world no matter what the pain resulting from it will be. There were a number of experts on it explaining why it is now a possibility.

Last edited:
Bold statement and I wouldn't guarantee it, the program went into why it could now happen and it's basically to head of a more damaging conflict.

The Chinese economy is in a bit of a mess and they reckon economic and trade sanctions would now cause far more damage to the Chinese than the west.
Countries were happy to take the damage caused by Sanctioning Russia and the resultant energy crisis.

Like I said I wouldn't guarantee it, they will not let the Chinese play politic with the world no matter what the pain resulting from it will be. There were a number of experts on it explaining why it is now a possibility.
I like bold statements. I'm sticking to my view regardless of the 'expert' orthodoxy.

Well, this has been quite the debacle. First we are told by Autoglass that we need to arrange the appointment with MG to get the calibration done. So the windscreen replacement appointment was cancelled so that we can get it closer to the 12th October.

The we get a call from a quite belligerent Autoglass employee insisting we make the appointment and Autoglass will do the calibration, or at least arrange for the callibration. Which they don't even consider doing until after the windscreen is replaced.

So windscreen is now replaced. The lane stuff doesn't work. The speed sign reading functionality doesn't work. The auto high-beams don't work. And not sure what else.

Guess what. Not only is Autoglass not arranging for the recalibration. But they now say again that it is up to us to do. Good thing we didn't cancel the appointment for the 12th October.

Long story short. Autoglass employees don't seem to sing from the same song sheet.

I like bold statements. I'm sticking to my view regardless of the 'expert' orthodoxy.
I agree. You would not be reading this Forum if it were not for Chinese supplied products. Spare a few minutes today and look around your house/life and see what you own and use that is made in China. Your life would be very different without them I assure you. In fact, in theory, remove all Chinese made goods in your life and see what you have left - but then of course you won't be able to reply as you will have no way of doing so 😁

Finally got my car to MG for recalibration and guess what. They cannot calibrate it. They cannot talk to the systems they need to.

Basically, our beloved Autoglass broke my car when replacing the windscreen. Which also explains some plastic clips I found on the floor after Autoglass replaced the windscreen. They are from the cover over the camera behind the rear view mirror.

Either way, my car has to go back to MG for two to three days while MG figure out what Autoglass broke and fix it. And then finally, they can calibrate it.

Finally got my car to MG for recalibration and guess what. They cannot calibrate it. They cannot talk to the systems they need to.

Basically, our beloved Autoglass broke my car when replacing the windscreen. Which also explains some plastic clips I found on the floor after Autoglass replaced the windscreen. They are from the cover over the camera behind the rear view mirror.

Either way, my car has to go back to MG for two to three days while MG figure out what Autoglass broke and fix it. And then finally, they can calibrate it.
Spooky, been to AutoGlass today for them to finally calibrate a screen they fitted late June, sounds like you went down a similar painful route Windscreen replacement post #25

Yes, I saw that you were having a lot of fun. This whole Autoglass debacle is such a waste of my time.
Unfortunately AG are stuck in the middle, I blame MG for not releasing the tools / data / wherewithal for third parties or their dealers to carry out this basic task.

One year & 18,000 miles in, still loving the car.

I had a big stone from a lorry, crack my windscreen over 7 weeks ago, followed the usual steps with one of the big auto glass companies, initially it was going to be very quick (few days), then it was going to be at least a few weeks, then they tried to order the part from MG and they couldn't get an ETA but was expecting it to be 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks later I get a message to call them back, so I think here we go time to book in the repair, but no, it was simply to say they still don't have an ETA from MG for the part coming in.

Just wondering if anyone else has needed a screen replacement recently and if you're having\had the same issue. I can't believe that there's no parts in the country, the car has been on the market for over a year. What on Earth are MG doing.

Anyway rant over, hopefully others have had better luck.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back