Windscreen replacement woes

I've merged three threads on this issue into one, in the hope of keeping the information and advice together in one place. Reading through the existing posts should answer most questions, and no need to repeat posts you've already made. (Unless you want to!)

Has anyone had issues with their automated systems not working after getting their windscreens replaced? My car can no longer read traffic speed signs and use the auto full beam and this started happening after I got my windscreen replaced

Has anyone had issues with their automated systems not working after getting their windscreens replaced? My car can no longer read traffic speed signs and use the auto full beam and this started happening after I got my windscreen replaced
To be fair both systems aren't very good anyway

Sounds to me that they didn't reconnect the front camera. Or it just needs cleaning.
Edit: Or calibrating, as mentioned below.

Last edited:
For my part, they cannot recalibrate the unit. At this point they have upgraded the centre console software, they have spent a couple of days tracing the issue and now the decision has been made that they have to replace the unit at the top of the window that has the camera. I am waiting for them to get a new unit so that it can be replaced.

So, the end is in sight. But then I thought that 4 months ago.

they have spent a couple of days tracing the issue and now the decision has been made that they have to replace the unit at the top of the window that has the camera.
I fear that when (if?) they read the instructions that comes with the new unit, it will say that after installation, you have to calibrate it.

I think that will be ok. As long as Autoglass never go near it again. It "broke" when they replaced the windscreen.

Richmond MG in Guildford have been great through this whole process.

Has anyone had issues with their automated systems not working after getting their windscreens replaced? My car can no longer read traffic speed signs and use the auto fill beam and this started happening after I got my windscreen replaced

Yes, it is more common than you would think.

My experience was that after windscreen replacement I had a Traffic Sign Recognition fault,
all other functions appeared ok. I was advised that camera would require calibration at the
main dealer. This is when my problems began the calibration process failed at 70% and all
functions of the camera now gave errors. 4 more visits were required after each visit MG
Technical had to be asked for next step. After second visit local Service rep. advised camera
was overheating, MG Tech advised replacement. (Remember only error was Traffic Sign Rec.)
First replacement camera was damagedy?? Second replacement camera also failed to
calibrate at arround 70%. Finally various modules were upgraded and calibration was
compleated, this was in June 23.
After driving the car for 8 months with LKA permenantly disabled, I now have to try to
remember to switch LKA off every trip, its when I forget I get cought out.

Others have mentioned an update that reduces the kick to the steering and the reaction
of passengers (ooh!! what was that) I have to explain its just the car trying to cause an
accident. Does anyone know what module and version reduces this effect and was it
introdued after June 23.

I had a big stone from a lorry, crack my windscreen over 7 weeks ago, followed the usual steps with one of the big auto glass companies, initially it was going to be very quick (few days), then it was going to be at least a few weeks, then they tried to order the part from MG and they couldn't get an ETA but was expecting it to be 6-8 weeks. 6 weeks later I get a message to call them back, so I think here we go time to book in the repair, but no, it was simply to say they still don't have an ETA from MG for the part coming in.

Just wondering if anyone else has needed a screen replacement recently and if you're having\had the same issue. I can't believe that there's no parts in the country, the car has been on the market for over a year. What on Earth are MG doing.

Anyway rant over, hopefully others have had better luck.
Have you had any luck. We now have a large crack in our screen due also to a stone from a lorry wheel. It happened just before Christmas. We have been asked to pay the excess up front as it was a dealer only part apparently. But now we seem to be getting radio silence.

I am still waiting for my replacement behind the windscreen camera unit. Was promised at the beginning of December that they were just waiting for the parts.

Today, I got my car back. They had it for a week and have fixed the issue with the center behind windscreen camera. It took from August till now to get it working after a windscreen replacement. It cannot read speed limit signs, but at least it isn't complaining.

.... ah the ADAS/Radar challenge:- I noted this 5 years ago with my 2019 T-Roc and replacement windscreen, forget the dealer and Autoglass, they will just not go near a car with any fault codes (and maybe with the MG4, as its so new), the only company which would work with the car owner is (was??) national windscreens .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 85 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back