Wireless Carplay with Carlinkit

I agree.
The cheap unbranded ones require you to install an app on the car's navigation unit.
Currently not possible on the MG4.
I posted a link to one on Ebay same as the one on Amazon for £54.49

Skynett, I did look at your posting but didn't like the overall reviews of the seller. I could only find one review of carlinkit which was positive but?

I am not sure what kind of help you would get if you didn't buy it from carlinkit so cold feet at the moment until someone dips their toes in the water and tells me it's fine :unsure:

Alan

Quick question, have you had a chance to test it with an Android phone....? I have one it recognises hat my phone is an android but once connected it will only show apple car play so 90% of the android auto functions don't work correctly or don't work at all. Unfortunately I bought mine through AliExpress as I was getting something else at the time, I have tried to return but they asked for evidence but before I could actually reply, the next day, they closed the case now I'm stuck.

Apologies for the ramble 🙃

Thanks

Tim
Skynett, I did look at your posting but didn't like the overall reviews of the seller. I could only find one review of carlinkit which was positive but?

I am not sure what kind of help you would get if you didn't buy it from carlinkit so cold feet at the moment until someone dips their toes in the water and tells me it's fine

Alan

I went to Carlinkit directly, after being recommended their "A2A" model for my Android phone (Pixel 6 when I ordered, now 7 Pro).
It arrived fairly quickly and undamaged (via Evri! 🤯 )
Works perfectly on my Zoe.

Can someone confirm that only the USB-A is for apple car play and you cant use the USB-C port for car play? Thanks

Can someone confirm that only the USB-A is for apple car play and you cant use the USB-C port for car play? Thanks
That's what the manual says. (Page 62)

Someone else has reported using an SSD drive as a music source plugged into the right USB-C port.

I also got one of these recently, and can confirm it works just as well on Android.
(On my Zoe anyway, still waiting for the MG4!)
Did you had to install any App on your android phone to get this to work? The one on ebay says something about installing an App not sure if its referring to the andriod Auto app?

The Carlinkit 4.0 document mentions downloading Android Auto if you don't have it on your phone. I used mine for literally 10 minutes. It works fine. Pair phone to Carlinkit Bluetooth which tethers to MG4 usb. I used USB-A as that's what came with unit.
My phone is not wireless charging so plugging in effectively removes the benefit of the device.

The Carlinkit 4.0 document mentions downloading Android Auto if you don't have it on your phone. I used mine for literally 10 minutes. It works fine. Pair phone to Carlinkit Bluetooth which tethers to MG4 usb. I used USB-A as that's what came with unit.
My phone is not wireless charging so plugging in effectively removes the benefit of the device.
That's another way to look at it, in terms of the charging since most of the time one is in the car phone could be plugged into the port to charge.

My phone is wireless charging but I don't have a trophy model which means more accessories to purchase to get wireless charging after spending on this dongle

Did you had to install any App on your android phone to get this to work? The one on ebay says something about installing an App not sure if its referring to the andriod Auto app?
Nope. Just pair over Bluetooth and you're done (I have a 2022 phone).
Android Auto was absorbed into the main Android operating system when Android 10 was released in late 2019.

That's great to hear @t3rminalV - I 'took a punt' on a Carlinkit 4.0 a few days ago - ordered it from AliExpress at the same time as the door sill protectors recommended on here.
I plan to be using it with Android Auto, so can provide some feedback on it all (hopefully!) at some point in the future... when they get delivered... and then if/when the car gets delivered! 😁

Depends on whether or not they have both previously been linked with the car and the kit. And if they have, whichever phone is closest/has the strongest signal with the kit/got in the car first as the kit powered up.

I believe wireless carplay does not need Bluetooth connection and AA wireless does. If carplay is used then potentially the Bluetooth connection could be available for android but functionality wise no idea

If wireless is not used then it depends. Some will connect last registered device some last used..it needs tried in the car to establish the answer

Only one Bluetooth connection at any time

Does anyone know what happens when two different phones are in the car at same time, I've got Android & wife has iPhone?
89c.gif

I think figuring out these kinds of questions, like “2 phones in the car on wireless, one rings while the other is playing music via Carplay/Auto, what should happen?”, is one of the reasons manufacturers want to stick with a single wired connection.

And what if 3 people are in the car, all registered? etc….

I believe wireless carplay does not need Bluetooth connection and AA wireless does. If carplay is used then potentially the Bluetooth connection could be available for android but functionality wise no idea

If wireless is not used then it depends. Some will connect last registered device some last used..it needs tried in the car to establish the answer

Only one Bluetooth connection at any time
Wireless CarPlay would indeed use Bluetooth, should the MG4 have wireless CP functionality
It's the Carlinkit unit which has it's own Bluetooth pairing with the phone, and then initiates the CarPlay connection

Carplay takes calls over wireless, doesn't need Bluetooth, AA takes calls over bluetooth with wireless...now as for who wins 🤷‍♂️ fight...

CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actually functionality.

Carplay takes calls over wireless, doesn't need Bluetooth, AA takes calls over bluetooth with wireless...now as for who wins 🤷‍♂️ fight...

CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actually functionality.
How do you mean takes calls over wireless? Do you mean it uses the closed Wi-Fi network it creates for the connection to transmit the call sound to the car, or do you mean Wi-Fi calling via the network?

Indeed your bold text part is correct :D

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel