Wireless Carplay with Carlinkit

It does not need the Bluetooth part because Carplay has the bandwidth to play media and take/make calls via the link. AA doesn't and needs to maintain Bluetooth for the telephony element.

Basically it's still phone sim making the calls but via WiFi on carplay and Bluetooth on AA for audio connection

Complicated subject with so many answers but having picked through them this is my understanding but every day is a school day and If I am wrong then its another lesson👨‍🎓 as I am always willing to learn

It does not need the Bluetooth part because Carplay has the bandwidth to play media and take/make calls via the link. AA doesn't and needs to maintain Bluetooth for the telephony element.

Basically it's still phone sim making the calls but via WiFi on carplay and Bluetooth on AA

Complicated subject with so many answers but having picked through them this is my understanding but every day is a school day and If I am wrong then its another lesson👨‍🎓 as I am always willing to learn
Yes indeed, sorry I was just referring to the Carlinkit for the initial connection via Bluetooth. How odd that Android still needs the Bluetooth element to route the sound for calls to the car.

That's great to hear @t3rminalV - I 'took a punt' on a Carlinkit 4.0 a few days ago - ordered it from AliExpress at the same time as the door sill protectors recommended on here.
I plan to be using it with Android Auto, so can provide some feedback on it all (hopefully!) at some point in the future... when they get delivered... and then if/when the car gets delivered! 😁

Carlinkit 4.0 arrived today. Surprisingly quick turnaround via AliExpress (7.5 days from ordering)!
No idea when the MG4 will arrive, so can't provide feedback on use with Android yet... but I can provide another picture to give an idea of the size of the unit (i.e. smaller than a credit card!), in case of use to anyone:

1668182937696.png

So I bit the bullet and bought a Carlinkit 4.0 the other day from Amazon.

£87 and two days later and it has arrived this morning. I thought I'd throw up a quick post about it in case anyone else is tempted by the purchase and wants some more info. The MG4 isn't on the compatibility list for the device (MG as a manufacturer isn't even listed) so I was a little worried that it wasn't going to work, hence the purchase from Amazon for easy returnability should it not go to plan.

The unit supports wireless carplay and android auto (although I dont currently have an android phone to test with). I also own another car (BMW) which has wireless carplay and android auto built into the car, so we'll see how it compares to a manufacturer-provided solution.

So firstly, it came pretty well packaged but it's much, much smaller than I thought it would be:

View attachment 12015

View attachment 12016
(banana for scale)

Fitting it to the car was very simple. The unit comes with both a USB type-c to type-c cable, and a type-a to type-c cable in the box. The unit itself has a type-c port on one end (for connecting to the car) and a full-size type-a port on the other (apparently you can use this to do wired carplay/android auto through the unit - though why is beyond me).

Upon plugging it into the car, the MG4 immediately recognized that there was a carplay device plugged into the USB port and connected to it. The device seems to emulate apple carplay to the car and will pop up its own pairing screen if there isn't a device connected to it. This is actually quite neat; the car will always think that there is an apple device plugged in as long as the unit is plugged in (the "carplay" widget on the home screen is always available) so even if there isn't a phone connected to the carlinkit, you can easily get into its settings by launching "carplay" from the car.

It also seems like this holds true for android auto - it seems that the unit always presents itself as a carplay device to the car, and then once you pair an android device the carlinkit handles android auto directly, still showing as a carplay device to the car - although I've not been able to confirm this as of yet as I don't currently have access to an android phone. If this is the case, this probably means you can use the unit to do android auto on a car that only supports carplay (assuming such a thing exists) - although not really relevant here.

Pairing my phone was easy, fire up the unit and it provides you with a bluetooth network to join, once joined the phone seemed to auto-connect to the wifi component and carplay popped right up:

View attachment 12017
(taken from the phone that was connected)

It was also very easy to hide the unit under the center pedestal with some sticky-back velcro, making it essentially invisible from the seated positions in the car:

View attachment 12018

So far, I haven't used this in anger, just in the driveway this morning. I do have a ~200mi trip in the car on Sunday morning during which I'll be using this for music and navigation, so I'll see how it fares on a longer trip and I'll post another update on Sunday night or Monday morning.

One thing to be aware of is that there is a slight delay in the unit powering up and getting connected once you start the car - the unit itself takes 10-15 seconds to boot and then the phone takes another 10 seconds or so to get connected and for the unit to end up fully working, so maybe 20-25 seconds from sitting in the car to being at the carplay home screen. I don't really see this as a huge deal but it's definitely a lot slower in getting started up than the built-in system in the BMW, which is usually connected by the time I get my seatbelt on.

All-in-all though it seems to be a neat little device and it was easy to setup. It is, however, it's the best part of £90 and that is a bit pricey for something that I feel should have been included with the car to be honest. I don't regret the purchase (assuming all goes well on Sunday) but it seems that if someone can make a seperate standalone box that both works with android and apple phones wirelessly, and then emulates a carplay device to a car for "just" £90, then surely it shouldn't have really been a big deal for a car manufacturer to include it with the car, especially considering the car already has wifi hotspot capability anyway.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions let me know.
Just received mine from AliExpress.......will let you know how I get on.

Hi why pay the extra just to use wireless and not just use the cable option?
The Trophy model supports wireless charging, so this kit means you can get wireless connection and charging at the same time. For the SE models the kit is pointless, unless you simply don't wish to charge your phone whilst driving (e.g. leaving your phone in your pocket/bag) but still want Carplay/A.Auto.

Sorry but does that mean on the trophy you can’t charge and use wireless CarPlay at the same time?
YES, wireless charger built into gear selector console rubber pad. Carplay wireless link kit connects to the USB-A port under the charger pad.

Carlinkit 4.0 arrived today. Surprisingly quick turnaround via AliExpress (7.5 days from ordering)!
No idea when the MG4 will arrive, so can't provide feedback on use with Android yet... but I can provide another picture to give an idea of the size of the unit (i.e. smaller than a credit card!), in case of use to anyone:

View attachment 12652

By way of warning, if my testing of this device against my current petrol car (Seat Leon) is anything to go by, there is a world of difference in experience between using an iPhone and an Android phone...

I've been attempting to work with their support team for several days, now, to manually change all the 'advanced' settings within the unit to get it to refresh the screen properly, when using my Samsung S22 (Android 13) against it. All attempts have been unsuccessful, thus far.

Obviously, it may prove quite different when combining the unit, Android, and the MG4 (as opposed to my current car), but it would probably be beneficial to mention in any feedback posts here whether you're using an iPhone or an Android phone, as I suspect the experience may well prove to be quite different between the two, if my testing is anything to go by!

By way of warning, if my testing of this device against my current petrol car (Seat Leon) is anything to go by, there is a world of difference in experience between using an iPhone and an Android phone...

I've been attempting to work with their support team for several days, now, to manually change all the 'advanced' settings within the unit to get it to refresh the screen properly, when using my Samsung S22 (Android 13) against it. All attempts have been unsuccessful, thus far.
Doesn't sound good. I have one on the way (ordered after reading this thread) and would also be using android so let's hope it works better with the MG4.

Edit : Actually, reading back through this thread @snurt seems to be using it ok in the MG4 with android...

Mine arrived today. Very quick to connect and link up - using iphone. Checked for any software updates as per the manual. None.
FYI, I noticed it seems to use wifi to connect to the phone. Tried to disable wifi and phone tells me it will disconnect carplay So you can't use another wifi or hotspot on the phone at same time as the carlinkit - I sometime do when my data is running low. Oh well - maybe have to use a wired connection then.

Yip, it set ups up a WiFi connection between the phone and the carlinkit unit for communication. You should have had to do that on set up as carlinkit has its own WiFi link. No WiFi no link. I previously used carswifi for android and it was exactly the same but a bit more "buggy" for my phone connection.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back