Zappi has me stumped

dsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Background: I have my new MG4 and Zappi. I have solar panels, with a GivEnergy 5.2kWh battery. I have signed up to Octopus GO. I am not technical and simply want to charge my car during the Octopus Go 0030 to 0430 cheap period.
Charging via the MG4: Did this as a first attempt = perfect scheduled charging.
As for the Zappi, I am bamboozled. I have read lots of stuff, often contradictory and some of it beyond my simple understanding. I set up the Zappi with a scheduled charge. Myenergi posts suggest I can schedule via either Eco (which I take to be Eco and one leaf on the Zappi) or Eco+ (Eco and two leaves). When I select Eco the charge starts = no wait for the scheduled time, so I guess this isn't the way. If I choose Eco+, the car shows "Connecting" and the Zappi a "Waiting for surplus" message. I have read about "Waiting for surplus", but it is double dutch to me.
Is there a simple way for me to set a Zappi schedule without this error message? What settings on the Zappi might I need to change?

Remove the schedule in the car

Set the Zappi like the attached picture.

Waiting for surplus is not an error.

Make sure that the car is plugged in!

It'll sit there till 00:30 and start changing.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231108-164648.png
    Screenshot_20231108-164648.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 90
Background: I have my new MG4 and Zappi. I have solar panels, with a GivEnergy 5.2kWh battery. I have signed up to Octopus GO. I am not technical and simply want to charge my car during the Octopus Go 0030 to 0430 cheap period.
As for the Zappi, I am bamboozled. I have read lots of stuff, often contradictory and some of it beyond my simple understanding. I set up the Zappi with a scheduled charge. Myenergi posts suggest I can schedule via either Eco (which I take to be Eco and one leaf on the Zappi) or Eco+ (Eco and two leaves). When I select Eco the charge starts = no wait for the scheduled time, so I guess this isn't the way. If I choose Eco+, the car shows "Connecting" and the Zappi a "Waiting for surplus" message. I have read about "Waiting for surplus", but it is double dutch to me.
Is there a simple way for me to set a Zappi schedule without this error message? What settings on the Zappi might I need to change?
I set the schedule on the car for 00:35 to 04:25 and limit the charge to 80% then just plug the Zappi in (Zappi set to fast)

I've just had the car and Zappi a week and done this both times I've charged and it's worked

I set the schedule on the car for 00:35 to 04:25 and limit the charge to 80% then just plug the Zappi in (Zappi set to fast)

I've just had the car and Zappi a week and done this both times I've charged and it's worked
Yes, thank you. That was my first, successful charge via the car setup. I don't think it works, though, if set up on the Zappi (charger or app)?

Absolutely, it will work as well. But @dsr mentioned he's got solar panels as well and doing it this way will have the car charge from excess solar in the day as well as during the GO period. Admittedly excess solar is unlikely for the next four months unless you've an array 2-3 times the size of the norm. ATB

ECO+ "waiting for surplus" is really self explanatory, it is waiting for your solar panels to create a surplus supply and will only charge the car when this happens (during daylight hours).

Charging from surplus is using energy that would end up being sold back to the grid.

As someone else has said, what you’ve done at the moment is the correct process. Set the Zappi (or app) to Eco+ and the car waits for Surplus from the sun. You can then set a schedule on the Zappi (or app), and it will remain at ‘waiting for surplus’ until your scheduled time arrives, at which point it will charge.

Just be sure not to set a schedule in the car as well, as this will cause all sorts of conflicts.

ECO+ "waiting for surplus" is really self explanatory, it is waiting for your solar panels to create a surplus supply and will only charge the car when this happens (during daylight hours).

Charging from surplus is using energy that would end up being sold back to the grid.
Thanks, but I'm getting lost (again). Does this mean that the overnight schedule I have set won't happen? Or will it? And you are saying that a schedule wouldn't work for a daytime setting a full battery? I am trying to understand!!

The settings in the screen shot earlier will charge both
00:30 - 04:30 at full power
AND
in daylight hours if you have enough surplus solar power that you would otherwise be giving away

The settings in the screen shot earlier will charge both
00:30 - 04:30
AND
in daylight hours if you have enough surplus solar power that you would otherwise be giving away
Thank you. I think I do now understand - and am reassured that I should wake up to a charged car 🙂

No warranties are implied or expressed - but those settings have been good for our MG4 for over a year now and 19,000 miles.

Also don't be confused by the slider with the leaf symbol that I have set at 60% in my picture - it's NOT charge the car to 60%. Leave this at 60 or 70% but don't worry about it for the time being.

No warranties are implied or expressed - but those settings have been good for our MG4 for over a year now and 19,000 miles.

Also don't be confused by the slider with the leaf symbol that I have set at 60% in my picture - it's NOT charge the car to 60%. Leave this at 60 or 70% but don't worry about it for the time being.
👍

Perfecto! Thank you all so much.
I now appreciate that, for example, that on a sunny, summer day, if I set the Zappi for a night time charge, it would use any surplus solar that day while the sun was shining, before my schedule kicked in. In my ignorance, the ‘irrelevant’ message at this time of year just floored me.

Excellent well done another happy Zappi 😉

I'd expect 26 or 27 kw in a four hour charge but of course if there is unused solar generation before or after the night time charge and the car has capacity to take it you'll be topping up with ☀️

Just be aware your Zappi will need a surplus of 1.4kw to start changing from solar - this is not a Zappi or MG limitation. So if you think the sun's out but the cars not charging, check the level of export on the app.

Set that slider to 60 or 70%.

Good luck and happy charging

Excellent well done another happy Zappi 😉

I'd expect 26 or 27 kw in a four hour charge but of course if there is unused solar generation before or after the night time charge and the car has capacity to take it you'll be topping up with ☀️

Just be aware your Zappi will need a surplus of 1.4kw to start changing from solar - this is not a Zappi or MG limitation. So if you think the sun's out but the cars not charging, check the level of export on the app.

Set that slider to 60 or 70%.

Good luck and happy charging
👍🙂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video