ZS EV anti theft measures?

I think though that the battery is there for sending a signal to open or close the door when a fob button is pressed. The car sends out a rfid signal to the RFID chip on the fob on which it receives a return signal if the fob is nearby and then releases the locks and alarm. Otherwise how would it work with unlocking and locking the doors with the doorknob and the key s in your pocket without touching it?
(Hmm Maybe that's what the salesdude meant)
RFID chips don't need a battery, the signal of the sender contains enough energy for the returncode to be sent.
The battery powers the circuit board in the fob, it then in turn, it sends a command to the locking module if the car, to then to lock / unlock the car when the fob buttons are pressed.
Also, the car can be unlocked with the button on the door, when the key is close enough for the reader in the car to detect the key.
It recognises the key, then pressing the button on the door has the same effect as pressing one of the fob buttons.

I think though that the battery is there for sending a signal to open or close the door when a fob button is pressed. The car sends out a rfid signal to the RFID chip on the fob on which it receives a return signal if the fob is nearby and then releases the locks and alarm. Otherwise how would it work with unlocking and locking the doors with the doorknob and the key s in your pocket without touching it?
(Hmm Maybe that's what the salesdude meant)
RFID chips don't need a battery, the signal of the sender contains enough energy for the returncode to be sent.
I’d thought about that myself.
I’m not so sure that passive RFID is powerful enough to explain the distance it works at.
The “sensor” location is in the centre arm console, as indicated in the manual etc. I don’t think it would work with passive RFID from there through the bodywork to your pocket outside to allow the car handle to unlock the car??
That’s why I’m assuming it needs the battery in the fob to power it.

My guess could well be wrong though.
It’s easy enough to test I suppose, remove battery from fob and see if it still works.

I’d thought about that myself.
I’m not so sure that passive RFID is powerful enough to explain the distance it works at.
The “sensor” location is in the centre arm console, as indicated in the manual etc. I don’t think it would work with passive RFID from there through the bodywork to your pocket outside to allow the car handle to unlock the car??
That’s why I’m assuming it needs the battery in the fob to power it.

My guess could well be wrong though.
It’s easy enough to test I suppose, remove battery from fob and see if it still works.
I think you will find that each of the front door handles has an antenna inside it - in front of the switch, at least that’s the way the keyless systems work on Ford & Volvo 👍

The system works @ 125kHz. There will also be at least one sensor inside for and one near the tailgate to detect keys in that area. Very low power, low frequency and short range- just what’s needed. Again, that’s the way that Ford/Volvo do it, and they will all use similar functionality chip sets from the likes of Bosch etc. In many cases the chips have to be identical between suppliers so that the customer (MG, BMW etc), are not stuck with a single supplier for a part - just like brake discs for example.

A totally different system is used when you press the lock/unlock button on the key fob - that’s a proper RF system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi we just got our car back from the garage with a list of fault. One was the rear tailgate remains open after you have locked the car. We tested it and you have to be over 50m away before it remained locked so be careful
The tailgate locks but if you try it with the key nearby it opens - which is what it’s designed to do. If you move the key away (it doesn’t need to be 50m - more like 2m) The tailgate won’t open when you try it.

The tailgate locks but if you try it with the key nearby it opens - which is what it’s designed to do. If you move the key away (it doesn’t need to be 50m - more like 2m) The tailgate won’t open when you try it.
That’s the short range I was describing …….

Hi this happened at the MG garage and the Aftersales person observed it. And said this in normal!

That’s the short range I was describing …….
Mine's even shorter, if I stand with the key in my left trouser pocket and my right side to the car, the boot won't unlock, it's the same on the doors as well. It's either a very short range or my hips are very dense. ;)

There doesn't appear to be a tilt / movement sensor so alarm will not get activated on a ferry

Thank you. Last time I went to Scotland for Mum's funeral, the Lynk & Co. 01 that I had went off on the way blocking others as no one knew how to get into the locked car, and jump start the battery...2hrs later I managed. Same happened on way back. Thanks again..!

I was expecting it to be like this when we picked up ours, but alas it isn't.
I'd have thought a chinese company like MG would've copied the design very easily and very cheaply lol
Faraday pouch for my keys.

“Copyright” is actually “copy right” in Chinese, and something they are good at :)

It does have double locking on the doors, so if anyone breaks a window they can't open the door from the inside handle, they have to climb through the broken window to get in and out.
FYI, the alarm won't go off in this situation.

GAP insurance is a no brainer. Losing a car can be a major inconvenience but you won’t be out of pocket. (Other than your loss of NCB)

But prevention wise there’s plenty of aftermarket immobiliers that are thatcham approved. It means you’ll have to carry an extra fob but it guards against the likes of theft via OBD port or “cloning” your key signal. Personally I’d prefer this over fumbling around with a steering wheel lock.

Of course if they really want it they will break into your home or lift it onto a flatbed which there’s nothing you can do.

The way to prevent these remote extension devices is to keep your keys in a screened container. A metal box or faraday cage bag will work fine. However, having experience of other cars with this type of access I can advise that with the MG system the key has to be VERY close to the car to work anyway, which is good. Try it for yourself…….
Can confirm this, if my key is in my pocket and I am not sat in the car, I cannot start it... meaning I have to lean into the car if I want to turn it on to close a window quickly.

It's part of the reason for the price of the service, they change the fob battery lol
At least, that’s what they tell you they do! I mark my batteries so if I get charged for them I’ll know. I also fill my screenwash before I take it in - had a problem once with a different dealer car service when they charged me for it!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom