ZS EV anti theft measures?

Russ MG ZS EV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello All, Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with theft prevention on the ZS EV? This would be to prevent the remote extender devices that allow thieves access to the car. I know about the remote signal blockers, but want a second line of defence if they get in? I have considered conceiling an additional start switch with the original being an alarm?

As well as the signal blocking pouch, you could always put a steering wheel lock on.
I have one of these on the Morris Minor:
Disklok
disklok.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have thought about steering wheel locks but probably the time I forget to put it on will be the time someone tries to steal it, so thinking of using an extra start switch and connecting the original to an alarm

I have thought about steering wheel locks but probably the time I forget to put it on will be the time someone tries to steal it, so thinking of using an extra start switch and connecting the original to an alarm
The problem with modifying the electrics is you might invalidate the warranty.

Is theft of the ZS really an issue? Has anyone ever had their ZS stolen? It’s not the type of car theives target and most wouldn’t know how to start it! It has an alarm as standard and insurers rate it at a very low risk. I applaud anyone trying to make their car more secure, but I would have thought at most an additional steering lock device if you leave the car regularly in a very dodgy place.

The way to prevent these remote extension devices is to keep your keys in a screened container. A metal box or faraday cage bag will work fine. However, having experience of other cars with this type of access I can advise that with the MG system the key has to be VERY close to the car to work anyway, which is good. Try it for yourself…….

I thought that the modern palliative was to have movement detection built into the fob?
It sleeps when it detects no movement so won't respond to interrogation.

I’ve not heard that. Great innovation though.

I thought that the modern palliative was to have movement detection built into the fob?
I was expecting it to be like this when we picked up ours, but alas it isn't.
I'd have thought a chinese company like MG would've copied the design very easily and very cheaply lol
Faraday pouch for my keys.

The way to prevent these remote extension devices is to keep your keys in a screened container. A metal box or faraday cage bag will work fine. However, having experience of other cars with this type of access I can advise that with the MG system the key has to be VERY close to the car to work anyway, which is good. Try it for yourself…….
I use a faraday pouch as well, so cheap, so effective, 2 in the pack so 1 for the spare as well. 2 pouches in each, one 'Faradayed' and the other not.

Amazon product ASIN B07MDF5TX9

My Prius didn't have the sleep function, but it did have the option to turn the keyless entry/start off by holding a combination of buttons down on the fob.

The MG Key only functions in near proximity of the car and then you can only open the door on the side the key is on. Also if it is possible to copy and boost the rf return signal from your key to the car (which I doubt), it will only open the door. Since the key is not inside the car it will not power-up or when the power is on, you can't drive away. If they succeed getting in the car and try to use the BDII to deblock the car by copying a keycode, the alarm will go off. Also because the key is not in near proximity.

The MG Key only functions in near proximity of the car and then you can only open the door on the side the key is on. Also if it is possible to copy and boost the rf return signal from your key to the car (which I doubt), it will only open the door. Since the key is not inside the car it will not power-up or when the power is on, you can't drive away. If they succeed getting in the car and try to use the BDII to deblock the car by copying a keycode, the alarm will go off. Also because the key is not in near proximity.
That’s the point I tried to make. I’m surprised at just how close the key has to be. Much much closer than my Mk4 Mondeo with keyless ……

I obviously don’t have a stealing car system to test it! But, the whole point of the issue with them is if you can put the transmitter near enough to the key (that’s in the house) then you put the receiver next to the car door to unlock it and then have it with you inside the car, result is car door will unlock and the car will start.
Once the car is started you don’t need the key in proximity, it doesn’t switch off etc.

Where ever you put/have the receiver is the same as effectively having the key.

I can recommend the faraday pouch from Amazon someone put a link up for, it’s the same ones I’ve got.

I obviously don’t have a stealing car system to test it! But, the whole point of the issue with them is if you can put the transmitter near enough to the key (that’s in the house) then you put the receiver next to the car door to unlock it and then have it with you inside the car, result is car door will unlock and the car will start.
Once the car is started you don’t need the key in proximity, it doesn’t switch off etc.

Where ever you put/have the receiver is the same as effectively having the key.

I can recommend the faraday pouch from Amazon someone put a link up for, it’s the same ones I’ve got.
Like it was already adviced earlier... To be sure, keep your key away (more than a meter) from the houseside where your car is parked. Even better, put it in a metal box or in your pouch.

But unless you have your key right next to the housedoor that actually is not possible at all. Even if they would succeed, just try this out: Try to power-up and or drive away when the car is on and the key is not in the car. Impossible to drive away.

Last edited:
Like it was already adviced earlier... To be sure, keep your key away (more than a meter) from the houseside where your car is parked. Even better, put it in a metal box.

But unless you have your key right next to the housedoor that actually is not possible at all. Even if they would succeed, just try this out: Try to drive away when the car is on and the key is not in the car. By the way, the door has to be shut to power-up and for driving away too. So kind of hard to keep the connection going if you ask me. Impossible to drive away.
I’ll have to do an explicit test & report back, but I could swear a while ago I started driving off after dropping my wife off who had the key with her, it let me drive off but I got warnings saying the key wasn’t present.

Like it was already adviced earlier... To be sure, keep your key away (more than a meter) from the houseside where your car is parked. Even better, put it in a metal box or in your pouch.

But unless you have your key right next to the housedoor that actually is not possible at all. Even if they would succeed, just try this out: Try to power-up and or drive away when the car is on and the key is not in the car. Impossible to drive away.
What @JodyS21 is saying is once the thief has picked up and copied the key signal, he can use his copying device as you would the key. He can open the car by putting his device next to the door, then he can start the car by taking his device inside the car. It's not difficult to pick up the key sign, even if it's further away than the car can pick it up, they just use a bigger antenna and a signal booster. It's always best to block the signal with a Faraday pouch rather than rely on the key being further away.
FYI, you can drive off without the key once the car is started. This is a safety feature to prevent the car shutting down (e.g. stopping in the middle of the road) if the fob battery expires while you're driving.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom