ZS Long Range sat nav not updating

I can't see them making much money out of it as everyone will just switch to Android Auto or Apple Carplay
I'm not interested in using my mobile, I much prefer the in-built sat nav etc. Works even when I can't get a mobile signal. As Scotty would say: the right tool for the right job! 😀

Do you know how to update the sat nav map ? I have the same car and the map is old on the car.
No, i asked the dealer, which promptly sent me the guide for the old model (Indication, that they did not know and thought/hoped it would be the same procedure)

After i told him that the guide did not work on the new model, he said he had asked his boss, to get an answer for me, from MG.

This was tuesday, and i am still waiting for the answer.

To be honest i fear that the answer will be "There is no update right now".

The reason for that is, if i get a car in April 2022 (Q2 2022) i would have assumed that the infotainment had been manufactured and loaded with software that was not (Q3 2020) if such a update existed.

AND....if there is no maps newer than "atleast 1½ years old" right now, that does not bode well for map updates in the future.

He did tell me though, that on the old model, the maps could be updated for free, the first 100 days of ownership, and after that, the map updates were to be bought.

Guessing this might be the same, and if so, i am going to make sure to have the latest maps within the first 100 days, and the never update the navigation.

On the naviextra webpage that has maps for the "old" style MG ZS EV, the prices for a map update is :

Western Europe $149,95 (£117)
Europe $159 (£124)

Both prices are unacceptable high, especially considering google maps is free and A LOT better.

No, i asked the dealer, which promptly sent me the guide for the old model (Indication, that they did not know and thought/hoped it would be the same procedure)

After i told him that the guide did not work on the new model, he said he had asked his boss, to get an answer for me, from MG.

This was tuesday, and i am still waiting for the answer.

To be honest i fear that the answer will be "There is no update right now".

The reason for that is, if i get a car in April 2022 (Q2 2022) i would have assumed that the infotainment had been manufactured and loaded with software that was not (Q3 2020) if such a update existed.

AND....if there is no maps newer than "atleast 1½ years old" right now, that does not bode well for map updates in the future.

He did tell me though, that on the old model, the maps could be updated for free, the first 100 days of ownership, and after that, the map updates were to be bought.

Guessing this might be the same, and if so, i am going to make sure to have the latest maps within the first 100 days, and the never update the navigation.

On the naviextra webpage that has maps for the "old" style MG ZS EV, the prices for a map update is :

Western Europe $149,95 (£117)
Europe $159 (£124)

Both prices are unacceptable high, especially considering google maps is free and A LOT better.
I agree with you. We are buying a brand new car and no update. This is weird. I thought that I will have opportunity updating for a 2 or 3 years after purchase date. I asked this MG and no answer. I do not want to give 159 dollar for an Europe update. Every year you will have to pay this for an update.

I agree with you. We are buying a brand new car and no update. This is weird. I thought that I will have opportunity updating for a 2 or 3 years after purchase date. I asked this MG and no answer. I do not want to give 159 dollar for an Europe update. Every year you will have to pay this for an update.
I am waiting for a reply from Miles at Chorley group as my trophy came from them.
As far as I understand it maps are free for the Trophy connect for three years, but as for the Trophy, which still has internet connectivity, I have no idea. The map update procedure looks for a map on a USB but where to obtain the file from is a mystery, and how it is obtained is a mystery of the East.
When I try on the here maps site they neither list it under Mg or SAic so no clue.
Surely somebody knows where and how to get a map file.
I have to say my other car a Ssangyong gives me free Tomtom maps roughly every three months off their own download site, but nothing like this found so far.

Hyundai have a program you can install on your PC, which downloads updates onto a USB, which you then plug into the car and it updates for you for free.

VW charge the customer for Sat Nav updates !.
Vauxhall does as well.

What's even more atrocious is, they sold cars in 2018/2019 with a satnav infotainment, but in 2020, they facelifted the car, and gave it a newer infotainment, and never bothered to keep updates for the older one.

Some people as late as 2019 bought a car with a built in satnav, that will be forever at 2019 maps.

I would be VERY furious if i paid extra for the package including the Satnav, and the was told, that there were no updates available, even at a cost for the satnav i had just bought, maybe a year previous.

I can get a £60 Garmin GPS, with lifetime map updates multiple times every year, but a £30.000 car, will have at most 1 update every year, and at a premium.

If it were not for Android Auto i would be p*ssed about this, and i suspect they will not be selling many satnav map upgrades anyway.

Vauxhall does as well.

What's even more atrocious is, they sold cars in 2018/2019 with a satnav infotainment, but in 2020, they facelifted the car, and gave it a newer infotainment, and never bothered to keep updates for the older one.

Some people as late as 2019 bought a car with a built in satnav, that will be forever at 2019 maps.

I would be VERY furious if i paid extra for the package including the Satnav, and the was told, that there were no updates available, even at a cost for the satnav i had just bought, maybe a year previous.

I can get a £60 Garmin GPS, with lifetime map updates multiple times every year, but a £30.000 car, will have at most 1 update every year, and at a premium.

If it were not for Android Auto i would be p*ssed about this, and i suspect they will not be selling many satnav map upgrades anyway.
Just another money spinner for the dealerships I guess ?.

Just another money spinner for the dealerships I guess ?.
I guess so, but with Android Auto and Apple Carplay in the cars, i dont see them making a lot of money off of this.

Might also be why they discontinue the updates so quickly, because no one is buying them :)

If they gave us 3 years for free, they might sell a lot more updates as some people would then be using the satnav, and be so used to it, that they would pay for the convenience,

I guess so, but with Android Auto and Apple Carplay in the cars, i dont see them making a lot of money off of this.

Might also be why they discontinue the updates so quickly, because no one is buying them :)

If they gave us 3 years for free, they might sell a lot more updates as some people would then be using the satnav, and be so used to it, that they would pay for the convenience,
To be totally honest, I am not a big fan / user of Sat Nav's myself.
On the occasions that I have used inbuilt Sat Nav's on previous cars, they always have done a good job of getting it completely screwed up !.
Only recently, we decided to use the inbuilt Sat Nav in our Gen 1 ZS EV to take us, on about 90 miles trip, in order for us to collect our new face lift Trophy.
It was okay for the first 25 miles or so, then you know when you start to get that strange feeling that you are somehow not travelling in the correct direction ?.
It just decided to take us almost 10 miles in the completely wrong direction ???.
So, we pulled over and tried to reset the route and it still insisted we where heading in the correct direction, even though the range to our destination was increasing and not decreasing !.
For the first time ever, I decided to take out my Iphone and check use the "Waze" App.
Instantly, it instructed us to turn around and confirmed we where travelling in the wrong direction.
Waze then set us back off down the motorway on a 10 mile correction route.
We decided to use my phone for the rest of the trip and it directed us straight to the dealers door !.
I did leave the inbuilt Sat Nav still running in the back ground, it had stopped giving out any voice navigations messages and it was just plotting our route !.
It must have suffered a major melt down, of some strange fashion.
Lesson learnt, just don't bother with the inbuilt units as there are just better options available.
Even with the latest maps, I am still not convinced about their inbuilt skills to get us where we want to go.
This is not just isolated to MG units I must add here.
I had similar issues with a £1750 optional upgraded head unit, that we had in a VW Golf PHEV back in 2015.
No, I did not spec the upgrade it was an X Demo model, that had been chossen by the dealer.
I would have been totally gutted if I had purchased that upgrade, because the Sat Nav was not reliable at all.
While taking a turning ahead, the ladies voice would sometimes announce:-
"At the next junction, turn HALF right !".
What the hell is "Half Right".
More like "Half Arsed" to me !.
The first time this happened, everybody in the car just burst out laughing.

The Naviextras programme and map updates is still working for Mk1 Zs evs so I don’t know where all the talk of discontinued updates has originated from. Naviextras never gave much support to be honest but maps up to q3 2021 were available when I last looked before I changed to my Trophy. The updated SE and Trophy must use the same system and my car has a q1 2021 here map loaded. I just want to know where I can get an updated map file from should I want one.
Forget all the negative vibes for a moment, let’s establish what the facts are.

Incidentally I did obtain some files from Naviextras for my 2019 first Zs when it wouldn’t update and might be able to find them somewhere on my computer system because I emailed them to an Mg dealer who didn’t know how to fix the issue. That was on the first of my 3 ZS’s and after that the updates loaded fine because I bought updated maps.

Normally we must have free map update for 2 or 3 years. MG service in Europe really does not know much thing about the car. They recommend using carplay. Yeah I use it but I prefer nav-sat navigation. My car is full version of MG ZS EV. It has internet connectivity but I dont know where to update the map. Really weird

To be totally honest, I am not a big fan / user of Sat Nav's myself.
On the occasions that I have used inbuilt Sat Nav's on previous cars, they always have done a good job of getting it completely screwed up !.
Only recently, we decided to use the inbuilt Sat Nav in our Gen 1 ZS EV to take us, on about 90 miles trip, in order for us to collect our new face lift Trophy.
It was okay for the first 25 miles or so, then you know when you start to get that strange feeling that you are somehow not travelling in the correct direction ?.
It just decided to take us almost 10 miles in the completely wrong direction ???.
So, we pulled over and tried to reset the route and it still insisted we where heading in the correct direction, even though the range to our destination was increasing and not decreasing !.
For the first time ever, I decided to take out my Iphone and check use the "Waze" App.
Instantly, it instructed us to turn around and confirmed we where travelling in the wrong direction.
Waze then set us back off down the motorway on a 10 mile correction route.
We decided to use my phone for the rest of the trip and it directed us straight to the dealers door !.
I did leave the inbuilt Sat Nav still running in the back ground, it had stopped giving out any voice navigations messages and it was just plotting our route !.
It must have suffered a major melt down, of some strange fashion.
Lesson learnt, just don't bother with the inbuilt units as there are just better options available.
Even with the latest maps, I am still not convinced about their inbuilt skills to get us where we want to go.
This is not just isolated to MG units I must add here.
I had similar issues with a £1750 optional upgraded head unit, that we had in a VW Golf PHEV back in 2015.
No, I did not spec the upgrade it was an X Demo model, that had been chossen by the dealer.
I would have been totally gutted if I had purchased that upgrade, because the Sat Nav was not reliable at all.
While taking a turning ahead, the ladies voice would sometimes announce:-
"At the next junction, turn HALF right !".
What the hell is "Half Right".
More like "Half Arsed" to me !.
The first time this happened, everybody in the car just burst out laughing.
I mainly use google maps, also in case i know where i am going, but it is mostly to get an estimated arrival time, as they also factor in the current traffic situation.

More than once, have i had it suddenly bump the arrival time back 20 minutes, an every time it was because of some traffic accident or similar.

I am allowed to travel at 80 mph on most motorway sections in Denmark, but i found that doing 70 increased the fuel usage by about 10% so if im going on a 2 hour journey on the motorway, i just leave 10-20 minutes earlier. In these situations it's nice to know that the expected arrival time has changed to "After the meeting i need to attend, has started" in these cases i can then speed up to 80 and gain back a bit of time, before i get to the traffic accident / traffic jam.

I have also experienced strange behaviour from satnav's, once we were going to the south, for a holiday, and the satnav wanted to do a detour around a city. Instead of driving 5 kilometers straight on, through the city, it wanted us to do a big loop around the city, that would have added atleast 40 miles to the journey.

The satnav even predicted that it would take longer to loop around, so that trip would have taken longer, and used up more diesel.

I always check the suggested map and adjust, but i even had a satnav where i could load a predetermined route, but the first time i deviated (Pulled off the motorway to take a break) the satnavn promptly "Recalculated" the route and completely scrapped my own route i had carefully planned and uploaded.

I always say "if you want to know how bad satnav's are, try asking it for direction for at trip you KNOW the fastest / shortest route" for, and see what it suggest.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom