ZS Long Range sat nav not updating

Just tried it,works a treat,it also cured my smart app problems,I have had mg. Scratching there heads for a few days
Hi, would mind sharing when you ordered the car? So glad you have got your car already. I ordered mine in Nov21 but still haven’t got the car. Dealer said will get it around end of July 22!

With CarPlay fitted, I’ll just continue to use Google maps or Waze. Personally, I prefer Google maps but I love the feature on Waze that tells you what time to leave for a planned journey if you enter the required arrival time. I can’t actually ever see myself using the native MG satnav so updates will be irrelevant to me.

With CarPlay fitted, I’ll just continue to use Google maps or Waze. Personally, I prefer Google maps but I love the feature on Waze that tells you what time to leave for a planned journey if you enter the required arrival time. I can’t actually ever see myself using the native MG satnav so updates will be irrelevant to me.
I tend to treat the inbuilt unit as a “Back Up Plan” only really.

I tend to treat the inbuilt unit as a “Back Up Plan” only really.
Me 2, but i would still like for it to be as current as possible :)

I mean, nowadays it's no big deal if my phone died on a longer journey, if there are more than one person in the car, there is bound to be more than one GPS unit :)

We are a family of 5, and when we go on holiday, each occupant has a mobile phone, and the kids in the backseat also has tablets, so about 8 GPS devices in the car :)

But yeah, if for some reason google maps failed it would be nice to have a backup plan. (I personally also still have "Copilot" offline navigation) on my phone for just those cases, i keep the maps up to date, but i have not used it since they made cell data usable in the whole of the EU. Before that, it would have been expensive, using google maps as it does require data.

I just got word back from the dealer.

Basically the answer sums up to be :

The Navi in the new model is a different system than the old one, and sadly procedures regarding map updates are not quite ready.

He goes on to say, that i will offcourse be entitled to an update as soon as they get the procedures in place, and for me to save his mail as "proof" that i was promised an update.

So basically, there is probably no updates for the map at this point.

I did find out that the empty USB drive i put into the car, when i wanted to try the "old method" was not actually empty when i put it into my computer.

There was a folder called Android with some subfolders, in it, so i guess the infotainment is some form of android.

I have had reply from Mg via Miles Roberts. No maps are of yet available As they are trying to work out the best way of delivering them from the Mg website. Not a great response really. I have asked Miles if he can inform when their is something happening. I am somewhat bemused by this as an answer.

I have had reply from Mg via Miles Roberts. No maps are of yet available As they are trying to work out the best way of delivering them from the Mg website. Not a great response really. I have asked Miles if he can inform when their is something happening. I am somewhat bemused by this as an answer.
Oh no! I'll have to blow the dust off that old book, what was it called? Oh yes, a Road Atlas. :)

There was a folder called Android with some subfolders, in it, so i guess the infotainment is some form of android.
I thought it has been stated somewhere that the infotainment runs on android for facelift but was windows based before, so that'd make sense.

Oh no! I'll have to blow the dust off that old book, what was it called? Oh yes, a Road Atlas. :)
I remember when we drove on holiday, using a map and directions that were printed out.

I did not care a lot for the guideance voice, it was constantly late in telling me where to go, and when i missed an exit because of it, the voice got quite nasty and rude.

I like the voice in the navigations a lot better and instead of "You missed that exit you m0r0n, i have no clue what you should do now" the voice now just states "i will find another way for you my friend" :)

Last edited:
So they don't know if the map updates will be included or a paid "upgrade" and they don't know when there will be maps available.

That's not good....

So they don't know if the map updates will be included or a paid "upgrade" and they don't know when there will be maps available.

That's not good....
No, it’s actually quite hard to swallow but they would launch a car with new satnav operating system from the old version without having the map upgrade route worked out. They must have a version of the map probably when they do the PDI say in store so obviously here maps are providing a compatible map because that’s the one that we are using. I wonder if it’s that Mgb have yet to agree the license conditions with hear maps because obviously that will require some kind of license and payment for it which really as you say should be built into the car for at least a period of three years. I won’t let that get forgotten, So rest assured I will update as soon as I have something to tell.

As I think I’ve mentioned previously my trophy ZSEV has quarter one two thousand and twenty one maps installed which frankly is already a year old so by now there should be an update available through one route or the other .

Did find this Link
Screenshot_20220428_172018_com.android.chrome.jpg

@Delboy102000 this may be of use?
Screenshot_20220428_173248.jpg

Last edited:
As I think I’ve mentioned previously my trophy ZSEV has quarter one two thousand and twenty one maps installed which frankly is already a year old so by now there should be an update available through one route or the other .

My navigation says :

Navigation version : 6.2.60.1.39077-P

Map data :

HERE_EU_20Q3 202012201846

So map files are third quarter 2020, and the map file was compiled on December 20, 2020 at 18:46 (6:46 PM)

Do we know if the "navigation version" is on of the things that can be "Updated OTA".

If you have newer maps, what about the navigation version, if your's is also newer, it would point in the direction of the navi software itself NOT being part of the OTA, as my car say "No new updates" when it looks for it.

No, it’s actually quite hard to swallow but they would launch a car with new satnav operating system from the old version without having the map upgrade route worked out. They must have a version of the map probably when they do the PDI say in store so obviously here maps are providing a compatible map because that’s the one that we are using. I wonder if it’s that Mgb have yet to agree the license conditions with hear maps because obviously that will require some kind of license and payment for it which really as you say should be built into the car for at least a period of three years. I won’t let that get forgotten, So rest assured I will update as soon as I have something to tell.
To be honest, my maps was compiled in december 2020, so i think the maps are the original ones put in at production time.

My navi also says "Connected services will end" 15-03-2027

That would suggest to me, that the live traffic update and so on, will end in 5 years.

I dont know if that is something you can pay to extend, but if the live services are "free" for 5 years, i would also like to think the map updates would be.

Here maps on android phones are completely free to use, so i would not think it would be THAT expensive to license the maps.

Maybe if we get map update files, we will be able to figure out what format the maps are in, and if they can be downloaded for other cars, maybe some clever software guy, can make a small converter that converts the "freely downloadable" here maps, into a format the MG would be able to "eat".

Mine is also a connect, i have the same version of navigation software, but the maps are still older, so not all connect's get updated.

Mine is also a connect, i have the same version of navigation software, but the maps are still older, so not all connect's get updated.
Must be graphical differences in update releases?
My main point is there are updates out there would be nice to force an update so at least you can see it looking ie like on you phone it says something like you are up to date or no updates available?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom