“Fast Charging” - at 3.6kW or less

FYI the charger on the SE is rated to 6.6kW so you'll never get any more than that. I concur re. 87% efficiency for a 7kW wall box/EVSE ... (I've seen as high as 94%). For a granny I'd expect nearer 80% efficiency. (I tend to see about 1.85kW into the car per the app - back when it used to show charge to 2 decimal places).
The MG granny is plugged into a Tapo smart plug and while monitoring the charge, the Tapo sees a load of 2.2kW, but the car gets 1.9kW (might be 1.87 but I can’t see that on the new app), that’s still 85 to 87% efficient. I think the efficiency is mostly in the charger itself. The losses through the cable or granny are minimal. Hence the numbers above from my experience.
IMG_2657.jpeg

Pleased to report that the £15 I was charged was clearly a deposit; this has been replaced by the correct sum for the kWh taken.
Also, I have checked my Type 2 - 2 cable and pins L2 and L3 are empty, so single phase - which explains why I wasn’t getting about 7kW. As another poster said, somewhat annoying my dealer didn’t refer to the fact that the cable was single phase. So, for safety, I will get a 3-phase cable.
In a sense, I needn’t have posted had I had known what I have now learned. The willingness of others to guide others is what makes this Forum so brilliant. A BIG thank you to all you knowledgeable people who are tolerant of and happy to teach we learners.

Last edited by a moderator:
* Shouldn't apply in @dsr's case as they have a Trophy ER and I'm pretty sure they come with a 3-phase charger.
Various non MG websites list the ER as only 6.6kW and I haven't found any reference to it on the MG website at all. Unless you already know for sure I'd confirm with the dealer and/or check the pins on the car socket before buying a 3 phase cable.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back