1 week to go - Excited is an understatement.

The plot thickens. I decided to sort out the uneven tyre pressures today because the rain isn't that heavy and I have to go to Glasgow in the car tomorrow evening. I discovered the reason for the odd finding that the tyre reading too high pressure (off fore) seemed only to be at 2.2 bar. The off hind, the tyre that was giving me the low-pressure warning for 2.3 bar, was in fact at 2.6 bar.

So somehow the coding on the wheels has been swapped. I think it was OK before the winter tyres were fitted - I did fiddle with the pressures a bit in September when the first cold nights set the warning off, and didn't get any confusing vibes. But I thought it was the wheels, not the tyres, that were coded? So why should a new set of wheels have changed anything?

The car is booked in next week to the garage that supplied the tyres for this to be looked at. They better not charge me for this. I think they caused it, but if they didn't then the dealer should be treating this as a warranty issue.

Anyway, I've evened them all up to 2.5, I think - the tyre pump seems to be fairly reasonable in its guesses. Hopefully it will all be fine.

You don't have a new set of wheels, you have a new set of tyres on the same wheels? I would guess that the garage put the rear OS on the front OS and vice-versa, without realising that the wheels were coded.

I don't entirely understand that. Yes, new tyres on the same wheels. I thought it was the wheels that were coded and not the tyres. So how does changing the tyres only manage to screw up the coding?

I don't entirely understand that. Yes, new tyres on the same wheels. I thought it was the wheels that were coded and not the tyres. So how does changing the tyres only manage to screw up the coding?
The pressure sensor unit is mounted on the wheel not the tyre. so it stays with the wheel when a tyre is replaced.

So why would changing (only) the tyres get them mixed up?
Well as #siteguru mentioned above, if the wheels were removed, other than one at a time, then the same wheel may not necessarily go back on the same position on the car.

Hmmm. Would they have removed the wheels to change the tyres though? I suppose they would have done. That's probably it. I'm not really thinking here.

I didn't mention it when the car went in, because I thought it was probably a fairly standard feature on new cars and the garage would be aware of it.

You always have to remove the wheel from the car to replace the tyre. Have you never before seen it done?

Wheel off the car
Mount it on a machine
Old tyre off using the machine
New tyre on using the machine
Transfer to another machine to balance the wheel
Refit to the car
Repeat for all wheels/tyres needing replaced

It's possible they used a hydraulic lift to raise one side and removed both wheels at the same time, but didn't take enough care to know which wheel came off where. (They could even have used a device to raise the whole car and so remove all the wheels in one go).

Yes, of course you do. I just wasn't thinking. Of course that's what's happened.

I'm certain the front and rear on the right have been switched. The rear was over-inflated and the front was giving me a low-pressure warning, but what was showing on the dashboard was the other way round, to my confusion. I don't know about the left-hand side, because pressures were fairly even on those two wheels.

Is there something on the wheels to tell them which is which, or do they have to guess?

They do have lifts that lift the entire car, and I have watched them change the tyres on my Golf. I just assumed they would know that new cars have this feature, and be careful. Clearly not.

I have a RAC branded 12v motorised inflator that I just set to 37Psi and am going to set all four tyres to that. I still have to do my NSR tyre as the warning is telling me its not happy but not doing that until the weekend. (Rain and all) I have noticed that the one pedal driving wont operate even (as it is now my battery is at 68%) probably a software issue. I am getting the standard warning about not having enough charge so something is amiss here. Other than that its been great to drive so far - only day 2 but the RWD I was so worried about hasnt been an issue whatsoever I havnt been gunning it though as its be really wet as we all know.

Normal day tomorrow as its a work day then at the weekend time to do my first charge (Dont have a home wall box as we live in a housing association property with a allocated parking space away from the property about 13m so I can run my granny cable to the car which I did for 3 years with our Renault Zoe(s) but Saturday I might just stick it on the local Morrisons 50Kw CCS unit for its first charge)

Rob

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel