12v battery and Noco booster

Jusy a quick question : once the drivers door lock has been opened manually as in the above video , can you open all the other doors manually, from inside the car using the handles ? Presumably you could then easilily fold down one of the rear seats and access the boot too (or at least the boot area nearest the seats ?). If so you can leave chargers etc. in the boot ??
I couldn't open my rear o/s passenger door after opening the driver's door manually. I didn't try any of the other doors, but I assume they wouldn't open either. Presumably as there is no power to operate the locks. I keep my booster in the central armrest cubby.

Child locks on on the rear doors ?

It seems a bit dangerous if you're in a crash with all the doors locked that you can't open any mechanically unless they have power 😒

Child locks on on the rear doors ?

It seems a bit dangerous if you're in a crash with all the doors locked that you can't open any mechanically unless they have power 😒
No child locks set. I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere that the doors will automatically unlock if you have a crash

Edit: I've just read the post above from @mg4mc

Just got home after 2 weeks holiday.
I'd parked at the airport with around 60% battery, and it woke immediately through iSmart at 54%.
No issues whatever.

I wonder why the loss of charge? I parked for just over 2 weeks at the airport. 69% when I arrived and 69% when I got back.
The battery could have been warm when it was parked up from being driven and the ambient tempreature giving the higher reading.

Doors can be opened by quick double pull of handle without driver unlock.

I do not have 12v battery problem. I guess that iSmart running at background might keep polling car status, which might drain battery.

I wonder why the loss of charge? I parked for just over 2 weeks at the airport. 69% when I arrived and 69% when I got back.
It might've been 54-55% when I got to the airport, I don't recall exactly. That's why I said "around" 60%.
I had to do more last-minute running around than I'd planned.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I'm planning to leave the car unused for 48 hours to see if the problem reoccurs. I'll have driven roughly 100 miles in the week beforehand, and I'll leave it not charging, with less than 50% in the HV battery.

However, I want to be absolutely sure that I'm not inadvertently leaving something on which could drain the 12V battery. Does anyone have a "turning the car off fully" checklist? e.g. Select parking brake, get out, close door, lock with key fob. Also, is there anything I should avoid doing during that 48 hour period that might unintentionally wake the car?

Thanks!

Set up of test:
Car left unused for 48hrs
Initial HV battery SOC: 38%
Car not on charge
Car not queried via App
Key kept well away from car
Lights verified off and nothing plugged into USB
Car did 50 miles in the week preceding the test

Results:
Car worked fine 48 hrs later
12V battery showed 14.7V immediately after start up
Final HV battery SOC: 38%

Conclusion:
Why did the 12V battery die twice before? Either there was a software issue that was resolved by dealership updates, or I left something on before that I was careful about turning off this time. I think for my own sanity I'm going to go with the former. Clearly the dealership suggestions (drive it more than 50 miles a week, charge to 100% every week) are not necessary. Hopefully this is/was helpful to someone!

.... Either there was a software issue that was resolved by dealership updates....
As a matter of interest which dealer do you use ? I'm wondering who to use around Leeds. Sorry for going off topic but should be a quick one post answer 😁 PM me if you want.

Just got home after 2 weeks holiday.
I'd parked at the airport with around 60% battery, and it woke immediately through iSmart at 54%.
No issues whatever.
Just returned from a 14 day trip over the pond.
I charged out ZS EV Trophy LR to 80% SOC and left it parked on our drive.
The weather has not been the best here either !.
The predicted range ( with trips reset, as is my preferred option ) was reporting the usual 212 miles of predicted range before we left.
Oh - I also decided to give the 12 volt battery a boost with the CTEK smart charger also.
On our return today, I unlocked the car with no problems and booted up the car.
Interesting to see that the predicted milage is almost identical after two weeks of being submitted to the elements of the weather.
The only observation I made, was that the info unit was a bit slow to get going 🤣.
Quick trip around the block and all appears to be fine.

IMG_1666.jpeg

Just returned from a 14 day trip over the pond.
I charged out ZS EV Trophy LR to 80% SOC and left it parked on our drive.
The weather has not been the best here either !.
The predicted range ( with trips reset, as is my preferred option ) was reporting the usual 212 miles of predicted range before we left.
Oh - I also decided to give the 12 volt battery a boost with the CTEK smart charger also.
On our return today, I unlocked the car with no problems and booted up the car.
Interesting to see that the predicted milage is almost identical after two weeks of being submitted to the elements of the weather.
The only observation I made, was that the info unit was a bit slow to get going 🤣.
Quick trip around the block and all appears to be fine.

View attachment 21304
From your experience it looks like the ZS doesn't suffer with the phantom flat battery syndrome that some owners on this MG4 forum have. And yes an occasional conditioning charge from a CTEK charger will help.

If I understand it correctly It can remove the sulphur deposits that build up on the plates by pulsing the charging current and by "over charging" when it decides it necessary it balances the current between the cells.
Whether or not that makes sense I don't know. It's only what I've read from their website so could be a load of .....

If I understand it correctly It can remove the sulphur deposits that build up on the plates by pulsing the charging current and by "over charging" when it decides it necessary it balances the current between the cells.
Whether or not that makes sense I don't know. It's only what I've read from their website so could be a load of .....
Thanks, not convinced it's necessary in this application but it wont do any harm either.

I made the decision to charge the 12 volt battery before going away purely as a precautionary measure TBH.
The car was parked in the centre of the drive and I did not want to be faffing about trying to move the car, with a possible flat battery, in order to gain access for the second car, after returning home after a long over night fligt.
Did I think the battery actually needed the charge in the first place ?..
Well no not really, as it was only on charge for a short time before it entered into maintenance mode.
But you’re totally correct, it will have done it no harm anyway 👍.
I also am very pleased to see that the traction battery has not lost any of the predicted range that it had, on our return home.
Some owners have been concerned by the level of predicted range lost from the pack while the car was left standing for a couple of weeks.
So I thought I would be a good idea to report the findings on my car, just for use as a comparison guide for others owners I guess.
I did provide the car with every opportunity though, it must be clearly said 🤣.
By charging the traction pack to 80% SOC and the 12 volt battery before leaving, is not going to be practical in most circumstances, I totally understand that of course.
I think the term used these days, is commonly referred too as :- “Covering your arse” 🤣.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel