12v battery and Noco booster

I am totally baffled how a brand new modern EV can constantly have such an issue.
It's amazing owners of brand new cars have to carry an emergency starter pack.
Why on earth can't this issue be resolved by MG.
I have enjoyed my ownership but now feeling the car may be unreliable am seriously looking to change for a recharge by a different manufacturer. Sad situation.
None of them are any better or worse IMHO, it happens to all makes. My i3 it's happened with two different 12v batteries over the years but generally it's ok, the neighbours ID3 has also had the problem as has a friends Merc.
I think issue as such is hidden away on an EV because the 12v isnt needed to start an engine. With an ICE car, the first cold morning when theres a charging or battery problem you know about it as the engine turns over slowly or not at all, with an EV theres no warning.

I am totally baffled how a brand new modern EV can constantly have such an issue.
It's amazing owners of brand new cars have to carry an emergency starter pack.
Why on earth can't this issue be resolved by MG.
I have enjoyed my ownership but now feeling the car may be unreliable am seriously looking to change for a recharge by a different manufacturer. Sad situation.
Had the MG4 for a year, never had an issue. If the HV isn't charging the LV it should be noticeable on the dash display. Really think this is blown out of proportion.

Had the MG4 for a year, never had an issue. If the HV isn't charging the LV it should be noticeable on the dash display. Really think this is blown out of proportion.
We've had ours for nearly a year too and had no issue until 2 or 3 weeks ago when the 12v battery went flat after the car had been standing for a day and a half. It's been fine since. All was fine before the problem with nothing untoward on the dash and after it went dead there was absolutely nothing to see on the dash!
It doesn't feel blown out of proportion when it happens to you and your car won't start! 😊

It doesn't feel blown out of proportion when it happens to you and your car won't start! 😊
I'd echo this. We had our ZS Trophy LR "die" three days after we arrived on holiday in North Devon ten days ago. Keyless entry was dead, so we had to use the emergency key, to gain entry, then a booster pack to start the car.

There was no problem visible on the dash, but because I had spotted an issue through the iSmart app before we left, I had found out what to do and was suitably equipped.

I would counsel anyone to find out how to use the emergency key, and carry a booster pack, preferably in the passenger compartment. Suitably equipped and informed you can be on your way in five minutes. Otherwise, you're cooling your heels for a call out and hope they know what to do, and that it doesn't take too many hours.

It's no different from carrying a spare can of petrol or a set of jump leads which was standard practice back in the day.

Be very careful with this item, I bought one following recommendation to use with my i3. A short time after buying it, 2 days !!! I had cause to use it. The i3 has a 20 amp/hour AGM battery for the 12v so it doesnt have massive loads on the 12v. Feeling smug I connected the booster pack, my 12v came alive and then it shut down againb, 2 further attempts rendered the GREPRO unit flat. I got my old Sealey booster pack brought to me, clipped it on and all was good. I placed the GREPRO unit on charge as per the instructions and after a very short time it was swelling up, very hot and bending the whole case. I stopped the charge and placed it outdoors in a tin.
I returned it to Amazon and purchased a NOCO unit which seems to work fin.
If you are charging the GREPRO unit, dont leave it unattended, charge it on a non combustabke surface, at the first sign of trouble, switch it off.. I am absolutely convinced if I hadnt stopped the charge I would have had a house fire.
I'm looking at NOCO's & GREPRO's on Amazon just now - but there seems to be too much choice. Which one did you go for?

In theory EV's don't need the more powerful boosters, but if you have any other ICE cars or family members that do, then I would strongly recommend that you go for a booster with decent capacity.
It maybe seen as overkill for an EV but higher capacity units will even jump an oil burner.
I have a Halo unit and it has been used a number of times to get people out of a tight fix.
All petrol or oil burners, no EV's as of yet.

Last edited:
I'm looking at NOCO's & GREPRO's on Amazon just now - but there seems to be too much choice. Which one did you go for?
I bought this one NOCO Boost, considerably more expensive but it does the job in a very satisfying way. It feels much more robust than the GREPRO and has a much better feel to it. Ive used it to start 5 ICE engines so far, every time it did what it said on the tin.

Last edited:
If you search online for top 10 boosters the NOCO is always around the top.
New GBX is the range to get.
Then the power rating - as we still have 2 ICEs (which are old) decided to get a larger one as it's good for them as well. Has torch and usb charger.
For MG4 the GBX45 is fine...
Charge it and stick it in the glove box - which is where ours is. So then with manual key you can lift the bonnet and get the booster with no probs..

As said above - no more than putting jump leads in boot for ICE starting...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the slightly cheaper NOCO Boost Plus after bricking a budget make and I've put a reoccurring 2 month reminder to give it a maintenance charge in my phone's diary.
I keep it in the glovebox together with a hi-vis waistcoat, torch, notepad and pencil.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've had my MG4 just under a year. Twice in last month the 12V has been died when I've not used the car for 48 hours.
a) Am I leaving something on and not realising?
b) Is this a known fault and will MG replace the battery?

I've had my MG4 just under a year. Twice in last month the 12V has been died when I've not used the car for 48 hours.
a) Am I leaving something on and not realising?
b) Is this a known fault and will MG replace the battery?
What SOC are you leaving the car at? There are rumours it doesn't charge the 12V battery if left below 50%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back