22kw charging

alexi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hopefully someone can help and answer this as I am at a loss. There is a car park near my work that has free EV chargers that you can use, just pay for parking. they are meant to give 22kw charging. I tried it with the cable that came with the car and got only 6.5kw so bought a 3 phase charging cable that is meant to achieve 22kw (at least that is what it was advertised at). tried it today and it still only gives me 6.5kw max. what am i missing? the car's charging setting is on max. the manual says to remove the cover under the charging port which I have done. Can't see anything else that I am missing. Thanks

Please take a photo of the socket on the car and post it. We should be able to check from this if the car has three phase charging

The car will max out at 11kw (assuming you have one of the ones with the 11kw charger on board) anyway so you will never get the 22. Is it definitely a 3phase charger. Do other people get more than that?

All the pins on the type2 socket need to be populated as its the lower two pins that are L2 and L3 for 3 phase.
The bottom two pins are for CCS DC.
You could also check the lead you purchased.

All the pins on the type2 socket need to be populated as its the lower two pins that are L2 and L3 for 3 phase.
The bottom two pins are for CCS DC.
You could also check the lead you purchased.
Thats why I asked for a photo to see if all the pins are populated?

Hopefully someone can help and answer this as I am at a loss. There is a car park near my work that has free EV chargers that you can use, just pay for parking. they are meant to give 22kw charging. I tried it with the cable that came with the car and got only 6.5kw so bought a 3 phase charging cable that is meant to achieve 22kw (at least that is what it was advertised at). tried it today and it still only gives me 6.5kw max. what am i missing? the car's charging setting is on max. the manual says to remove the cover under the charging port which I have done. Can't see anything else that I am missing. Thanks
What model do you have, SR will not get 11kW?
Check out the post here for a view of the charge port for single and 3 phase, along with other details in the thread itself
Post in thread '11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy' 11kw 3 phase charging ion UK Trophy

Thats why I asked for a photo to see if all the pins are populated?
will take the photo of the socket when I am back at the car. but I am confused though. so the car is only able to take a maximum of 11kw? one of the reasons I bought it was because I have this option to charge near work to fast charge.

will take the photo of the socket when I am back at the car. but I am confused though. so the car is only able to take a maximum of 11kw? one of the reasons I bought it was because I have this option to charge near work to fast charge.
I think you are getting confused with AC charging and DC charging.
AC charging which you only plug into the multi-pin round socket is limited to around 7.4kW or 11kW depending on the model.
DC fast charging which uses both the multi-pin round socket and the large two pin sockets under it and can theoretically charge at 117kW or 135kW.

The car will max out at 11kw (assuming you have one of the ones with the 11kw charger on board) anyway so you will never get the 22. Is it definitely a 3phase charger? Do other people get more than that on that charging point?

AC
Granny is about 2 - 3 kw per hour
Fast is 7kw home or public - single phase 5 pin cable or 7 pin using only L1
Ultra fast is 11 or 22kw public - needs a 32a 3 phase 7 pin type 2 cable

DC = rapid chargers
All tethered leads on the chargers for safety reasons
40 - 50kw upwards is the base starting point
LR is 11kw max on AC, SE SR is 7kw max

Last edited:
Ok. so had a look at the charging port on the car. the bottom 2 pins are not live so I guess that is the reason. clearly I didn't do enough research on this. so I cannot achieve even 11kw in the SR with the 3 phase cable. Anyone know of any options? is it possible to have the car charging port changed over to receive higher than 7kw? or is there a charging cable or an adaptor for a 3 phase cable to make it a DC charger that will let me charge the car at faster than 7kw from a charger that can deliver 22kw? Might be stupid questions but maybe not? or is the only way to get to fast charge is to use a tethered fast charger?

No it is not a simple change over. You would need new socket, new charger unit...if available..someone to do the work, BMS remapping and ? As for AC/DC converter no. You would be better off accepting what you have and just rapid dc charge as required. AC charging at 7 kw is not that bad on a 50kwh battery and would 50% more make a huge difference for the potential cost. In my opinion no, never mind voiding warranty completely

Last edited:
Ok. so had a look at the charging port on the car. the bottom 2 pins are not live so I guess that is the reason. clearly I didn't do enough research on this. so I cannot achieve even 11kw in the SR with the 3 phase cable. Anyone know of any options? is it possible to have the car charging port changed over to receive higher than 7kw? or is there a charging cable or an adaptor for a 3 phase cable to make it a DC charger that will let me charge the car at faster than 7kw from a charger that can deliver 22kw? Might be stupid questions but maybe not? or is the only way to get to fast charge is to use a tethered fast charger?
The only car currently available in the UK that can take 22kW AC charging is the Renault Zoe.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 484 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back