80% charge limit

dawson2099

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have set an 80% charge limit on my MG LR via the App. However, I'm looking at my charger at the moment and although the car has reached 80% it's still charging. Car now at 81%. I clicked finished charging on the app to stop charging. Surely this should be automatic?

PS What does the padlock yo the right control$

I have set an 80% charge limit on my MG LR via the App. However, I'm looking at my charger at the moment and although the car has reached 80% it's still charging. Car now at 81%. I clicked finished charging on the app to stop charging. Surely this should be automatic?

The padlock unlocks the cable when you enter your PIN.
You need to be standing right there to pull it out of the socket immediately, before it re-locks itself.

Mine is also going past the 80% charge setting 🤔,have no idea why.

I set my Trophy to stop at 80% using iSmart. Once it stopped at 71% (and well within the 4 hour charging period set on my Easee One charger). The next time, the car continued to charge beyond 80%.

If you have a LR and it goes beyond the charge limit set on the car then you have a bug and should contact your dealer.

SR cars no longer have a charge limit since it is recommended to fully charge whenever possible. Early versions of the SR software included a limit but it was then removed, causing some confusion.

Have only charged mine to twice to 80% and it does not stop.
Does anybody know if it will stop at100% if it over runs 80% ?
Or will it just cook the battery?

Once the SOC gets near to 100% the charge rates drops and the battery balance starts and darws about 300W until it has completed the balance then the car turns off the EVSE.
The charger is in the car, the type2 EVSE wall box is basically a mains switch to send power to the car.
Rapid DC CCS units are chargers and connect to the battery but the car still controls the charge rate.

Have only charged mine to twice to 80% and it does not stop.
Does anybody know if it will stop at100% if it over runs 80% ?
Or will it just cook the battery?
Mine also ignores the 80% limit but stops at 100% after a quick balance.

It will not schedule a charge either but being looked at on Wednesday by the dealer

I have only one relevant experience to report. I set the charge limit to 80% on my LR for a rapid charge and the charge point stopped automatically when the car reached 80%

I've charged my MG4 Comfort (SE-LR in UK) twice at an 11 kWh AC charger since I got the car and while I had set the limit at 80% both times it continued charging beyond the 80%. First time I manually ended the charging at 90% and second time I manually ended the charging at 85%.

I have no other complaints about my wonderful MG4 which I'm really happy with, so it's not something I'll rush to the dealer with. Just something to mention when the car receives its first scheduled maintenance.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back