A Load of Hot Air

There are thousands of other parts that will be Chinese.
I agree but the French especially, pushed by Stellantis are pushing the EU re Chinese EVs they are obviously not majorly concerned by retaliatory moves by China in relation to part supply. Also the Chinese companies still need customers as their economy isn't in the best of places at the moment and losing European orders will hit them hard also.

I agree but the French especially, pushed by Stellantis are pushing the EU re Chinese EVs they are obviously not majorly concerned by retaliatory moves by China in relation to part supply. Also the Chinese companies still need customers as their economy isn't in the best of places at the moment and losing European orders will hit them hard also.
Yes, but there are heavily exposed German makers that won't want it.

A trade war will definitely hurt everyone, just like a real war.

Er... the EX30 is made in China by the way.
Bloody hell... that really can leave many of us high and dry should things go very pear shaped in the future

It isn't the fact that it is Chinese that causes the problems, high quality automotive products are also made there. It is SAIC's lack of communication coupled with the fact that it is operating at the budget end of the market where margins are small. The communication is fixable, but it will require a complete change of tack, which so far there has been no sign of.
So if the Chinese can make high quality cars, it must be the manufacturer who just forgoes QC and cuts many corners to achieve a budget price under the guise of a quality car. So as the sayings go.... you get what you pay for.... and.... if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is !

Yep, my shortlist at present is the Megane e-Tech and the Volvo XE30, but the latter is not due until 10 months away I believe.

I cancelled a Megane order for the MG back last year, now wish i never.

The EX30 looks a nice machine. I went and sat in the new Smart #1 Brabus at the weekend and thats also very nice, was quite suprised. Got an invite back for a test drive (Demo was out when i visited) but after looking at the cost to change (to anything) it went right out the window.

£22800 trade in value for a Nov 22 Trophy with just under 6k on it.
Resigned to being stuck with it for a few years.

The EX30 looks a nice machine. I went and sat in the new Smart #1 Brabus at the weekend and thats also very nice, was quite suprised. Got an invite back for a test drive (Demo was out when i visited) but after looking at the cost to change (to anything) it went right out the window.

I quite liked the interior of the #1 but was a bit undecided on the exterior, is it true they haven't uprated the brakes/suspension on the Brabus, I'm sure they mentioned that in a review I watched

I quite liked the interior of the #1 but was a bit undecided on the exterior, is it true they haven't uprated the brakes/suspension on the Brabus,

I don't actually know, but the brakes looked plenty big enough when i looked at them in the showroom.

Think they will be a lot of regret in a few years with MG4 owner believing the hype of the paid media

I bought my MG outright with the idea of keeping it for ten years as spare to replace the FIAT Punto I bought from the same dealer 13 years ago….
The lack of backup and simple facts like one pedal driving will never be an “update” for my car is making me think it’s not going to stay long term…
I’ll wait for the model Y refresh….
Such a shame as it’s so good looking 😊
To be fair, when everyday I get in it and it tells me it’s “Jan 1 1999” reminds me of a great party I was recovering from on that day 🤣

I bought my MG outright with the idea of keeping it for ten years as spare to replace the FIAT Punto I bought from the same dealer 13 years ago….
The lack of backup and simple facts like one pedal driving will never be an “update” for my car is making me think it’s not going to stay long term…
I’ll wait for the model Y refresh….
Such a shame as it’s so good looking 😊
To be fair, when everyday I get in it and it tells me it’s “Jan 1 1999” reminds me of a great party I was recovering from on that day 🤣
I agree, the car looks good. But I am bit dissapointed in myself as I should have learnt by now.... Something looking so attractive is usually very high maintenance 😎

For those of you hankering after a better car, check out the Honda e:Ny1. Very similar features to the MG4 Trophy. Cheapest version is £45K however.
I'm happy with my Trophy. Yes it has niggles but it's £12K cheaper than an alternative. I have also found my local MG dealer to be better than the conglomerate-owner Honda dealer.

Would need to be considerably better to warrant £45k, you get a M3 cheaper than that

Would need to be considerably better to warrant £45k, you get a M3 cheaper than that
It have to be something special once you are in 40 to 45k you are treading in Tesla territory and you would have to be something special to compete. I admit Tesla is not the nicest looking cars but software 2nd to none, as well as the charging infrastructure.

It have to be something special once you are in 40 to 45k you are treading in Tesla territory and you would have to be something special to compete. I admit Tesla is not the nicest looking cars but software 2nd to none, as well as the charging infrastructure.
I think that is why the new Peugeot 3008 might struggle apparently the cheapest model starts at £45k

I think that is why the new Peugeot 3008 might struggle apparently the cheapest model starts at £45k

It looks a nice car for what I’ve seen but at £45k that’s too much, there’s a lot badge snobbery in the UK and Peugeot isn’t a £45k badge so it will need to be a cut above your BMW, Mercedes and Tesla whether it’s build quality, software or both

Right back on track with this thread, what does the A/C button do? I ask because I’ve just been out and had cold air blowing but the car was silent. Looked at the on screen controls, it was set to 22 fan speed auto but the A/C button was not selected. The button selected was the arrow pointing the Driver/ passengers face. Tried different temps and fan speeds all perfectly silent but as soon as I selected the A/C the nose returned.

My iSmart pre heating doesn't produce any hot air at all. I've tried turning it on and setting it to max temperature but nothing. I just gave up on it. Plugged or unplugged doesn't matter.

It isn't the fact that it is Chinese that causes the problems, high quality automotive products are also made there. It is SAIC's lack of communication coupled with the fact that it is operating at the budget end of the market where margins are small. The communication is fixable, but it will require a complete change of tack, which so far there has been no sign of.
'
the budget end of the market where' .... you are?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back