A Tad Concerned......

JKW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Doing my research for my next car ( Kia Niro EV or MG4), I have veered from one to other almost daily! Coming down quite firmly towards the MG4 at the moment, but the myriad of complaints on this excellent Forum about oil leaks, software updates, charging issues, even getting locked in are quite concerning to me as a potential user ! However, being a subscriber to the Kia Niro Forum too, I realise there's just as many complaints on there as well - probably there are many fully satisfied drivers of each marque who DON'T need to write in with problems, but am I right to be concerned or just put it down to teething problems ?

i think you need to put them down to a mixture of teething problems and human error. OK so I’ve only had my Trophy for 4 weeks but have already clocked up 1500 miles, 560 of them today, with another 800 to go in the next couple of days.

I also have to solely rely on Public Charging as I have no way to charge at home. I’ve had no issues with charging and I’ve used 12 different networks so far in the UK and France apart from an app induced error where it had set Max charge at 40%.

LKA is another issue for some, yes it can be brusque but I don’t think it’s homicidal as some would hold.

I’ve had some minor issues with ABRP and Car Play but they are an annoyance and easily solved. I use a couple of radio apps on my iPhone so can’t quote on the inbuilt radio.

Not keeping some settings is a pain in the bum but not disastrous and I’m sure that can or will be solved over time with updates.

Didn’t have the bulge and haven’t developed the oil leak so again can’t comment to those.

But overall I’m enjoying the car and it’s doing what’s asked of it with no complaints so far so I’m happy.

Did you see this thread?

And this one?

Part of purchasing a new car is to do your homework on the level of customer service you may receive from a manufacturer. MG have franchised their dealerships so service can be hit & miss with MG apparently not caring how well it is delivered.
The car itself, bar the issues covered in this forum, is an excellent car, but customer service is certainly something to be considered.

Last edited:
Part of purchasing a new care is to do your homework on the level of customer service you may receive from a manufacturer. MG have franchised their dealerships so service can be hit & miss with MG apparently not caring how well it is delivered.
The car itself, bar the issues covered in this forum, is an excellent car, but customer service is certainly something to be considered.
I agree. Go to the UK MG Dealer Discussion section and look to see if anyone has commented about the dealer you are thinking of using.

probably there are many fully satisfied drivers of each marque who DON'T need to write in with problems, but am I right to be concerned or just put it down to teething problems ?
I’m thoroughly enjoying driving my MG4 SE Long Range, having done so for three months. Apart from a couple of minor software glitches (which always correct themselves) such as the Autohold warning indicator coming on after charging, it’s been absolutely fine.

Which version Niro EV are you looking at? And are you comparing brand new for both the Niro and the MG4?

Before the MG4 came out I was considering a second hand e-Niro ... the price of the MG4 SE SR swung the balance for me (as well as the styling and vehicle type - hatchback vs small SUV). If I could have afforded a new style Niro EV 3 I would have gone for that - but I couldn't.

Doing my research for my next car ( Kia Niro EV or MG4), I have veered from one to other almost daily! Coming down quite firmly towards the MG4 at the moment, but the myriad of complaints on this excellent Forum about oil leaks, software updates, charging issues, even getting locked in are quite concerning to me as a potential user ! However, being a subscriber to the Kia Niro Forum too, I realise there's just as many complaints on there as well - probably there are many fully satisfied drivers of each marque who DON'T need to write in with problems, but am I right to be concerned or just put it down to teething problems ?
Well I’ve had my trophy tango since last year. I’d buy it again, without hesitation. No cars are perfect, and you only read the problems on these sites, which is useful, but don’t be clouded by what you read. Like you said, teething problems. Very few to be honest that warrant bothering about, I just drive it and enjoy it. Only went in for the oil leak almost as soon as I got it.
Sometimes the radio won’t work,
Bluetooth constantly needs pairing,
Sat nav occasionally freezes,( touch the screen to wake it)
None of these are major, and very often work next time I get in it!
So, I just use it. Next time it goes in for a service, I’m sure most things will be improved anyway.

Which version Niro EV are you looking at? And are you comparing brand new for both the Niro and the MG4?

Before the MG4 came out I was considering a second hand e-Niro ... the price of the MG4 SE SR swung the balance for me (as well as the styling and vehicle type - hatchback vs small SUV). If I could have afforded a new style Niro EV 3 I would have gone for that - but I couldn't.
I only lease cars these days so either will be brand new. The Niro EV in consideration is the 3 Spec, and the MG4 the Trophy Long Range - on a lease the difference in monthly payment is about £60 including maintenance with a 4 year deal & initial down payment of 6 "rentals" upfront.
Thanks to all for the interesting & informative comments, I feel almost completely reassured !

I only lease cars these days so either will be brand new. The Niro EV in consideration is the 3 Spec, and the MG4 the Trophy Long Range - on a lease the difference in monthly payment is about £60 including maintenance with a 4 year deal & initial down payment of 6 "rentals" upfront.
Thanks to all for the interesting & informative comments, I feel almost completely reassured !

Leasing makes your decision even more important as they are the hardest to get out of if the car is a pain.
Yeah, you could theoretically do the ‘walk away after half of the agreement has passed’ thing, but I don’t know anyone who has done that.
With PCP you can at least sell or trade in if it’s a pain, at any time (paying the settlement figure of course)
I’ll never lease again, far too inflexible.

Leasing makes your decision even more important as they are the hardest to get out of if the car is a pain.
Yeah, you could theoretically do the ‘walk away after half of the agreement has passed’ thing, but I don’t know anyone who has done that.
With PCP you can at least sell or trade in if it’s a pain, at any time (paying the settlement figure of course)
I’ll never lease again, far too inflexible.
I had an Alfa GTV in the early 2000’s…, engine lovely, rest of the car less so. After several stand up rows with my local dealer I did walk away at the halfway point.

I’m MG5 now but think the 4 is best looking ev out there.

I had an Alfa GTV in the early 2000’s…, engine lovely, rest of the car less so. After several stand up rows with my local dealer I did walk away at the halfway point.

I’m MG5 now but think the 4 is best looking ev out there.

Did they still make the GTV at that time?
I had a 2000 156 which I imported from Ireland as it was cheaper and the spec was better.
Loved that car but company car tax changes favoured diesels, so I changed.
Sold the 156 to a colleague who kept it for many years.
Very reliable car.

Did they still make the GTV at that time?
I had a 2000 156 which I imported from Ireland as it was cheaper and the spec was better.
Loved that car but company car tax changes favoured diesels, so I changed.
Sold the 156 to a colleague who kept it for many years.
Very reliable car.
Until 2004 according to wiki.

Was also hugely impractical for a family of 4.

I still miss it :(

I was a bit like that when considering buying an MG4. But I have to say that I am delighted that I decided to buy mine and have zero hesitation in recommending it.
Thanks for that Buster 72 - the more I read into the subject it's comments like yours that inspire me to go ahead when the time is right (to end my current lease) and order the MG4 Trophy LR - only problem now, Dynamic Red or Black Pearl lol !!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back