Absence of MG comment means I’ve cancelled

So what is left then that actually is covered for 7 years. Presumably the electric motor. Not the clutch!! Does this mean not the reduction gears? Would have expected all transmission parts to be fully covered. Might need it judging by the oil leak comments. In reality this is a 3 year warranty!
Clutch??!! No I doubt the clutch is covered... :rolleyes:

I am not furious just misunderstood! Hadn’t bothered to change the font to which it had defaulted. Honestly did you really think I thought there was a clutch. There was no real need to be facetious. Too much ‘aggro’ online these days! I actually test drove one. It was brilliant and as a result ordered a Trophy. However I am just getting a bit sick of the twists and turns of MG UK regarding oil leaks/warped undertrays/software and general confusion surrounding the information to dealers regarding these issues. I am simply getting nervous about my order. I have owned an Audi S3 for the past 7 years and it has been faultless. Do I really want to buy into potential trouble despite the fact that I really liked the MG?

I am not furious just misunderstood! Hadn’t bothered to change the font to which it had defaulted. Honestly did you really think I thought there was a clutch. There was no real need to be facetious. Too much ‘aggro’ online these days! I actually test drove one. It was brilliant and as a result ordered a Trophy. However I am just getting a bit sick of the twists and turns of MG UK regarding oil leaks/warped undertrays/software and general confusion surrounding the information to dealers regarding these issues. I am simply getting nervous about my order. I have owned an Audi S3 for the past 7 years and it has been faultless. Do I really want to buy into potential trouble despite the fact that I really liked the MG?
Everything is just a trade off.

Your S3 represents tried and tested hardware from a premium manufacturer. There's a high price attached to that. Audi is not competing with MG. You could stick to cars launched at least 2 years ago, thoroughly debugged and pay high prices for peace of mind and quality of service, though these are never guaranteed.

Or you could save money with MG, deal with teething troubles, unpredictable poor communication and service that can be great or poor depending mainly on your local dealer. MG is a low cost brand.

There is no low cost risk free great service option out there.

(My bold)

Yes, I agree - but every forum has a large community of people who will be a bit touchy and somewhat defensive to the brand. Fair enough I suppose - I've seen it on more than one camera forum, for instance. You have to be careful not to make any comment that could be misconstrued as being excessively negative.

Fact is, the MG4 may offer very good value for money, but ~£30k is a lot of money for many people, and their expectations would be reflecting that, at least to some degree.

There is no low cost risk free great service option out there.
I disagree. There are many very happy MG owners out there. I have 2 MG cars on the driveway. Both are fault free and I've had great service from my dealer. Of course neither are MG4's. I'm glad I didn't make that switch given the yet to be resolved problems.

I disagree. There are many very happy MG owners out there. I have 2 MG cars on the driveway. Both are fault free and I've had great service from my dealer. Of course neither are MG4's. I'm glad I didn't make that switch given the yet to be resolved problems.
Good for you. Some others have had faults with their MGs and poor service from dealers. I am buying an MG4, so I believe in them, but I am aware it could be a good or bad experience.

(My bold)

Yes, I agree - but every forum has a large community of people who will be a bit touchy and somewhat defensive to the brand. Fair enough I suppose - I've seen it on more than one camera forum, for instance. You have to be careful not to make any comment that could be misconstrued as being excessively negative.

Fact is, the MG4 may offer very good value for money, but ~£30k is a lot of money for many people, and their expectations would be reflecting that, at least to some degree.
Thank you , a sensible comment at last. I do get the feeling there are MG fan boys out there.

Thank you , a sensible comment at last. I do get the feeling there are MG fan boys out there.
I meant no harm, just making a light hearted joke about the clutch thing. I'm certainly not an MG fan boy, but did have a nice trouble free ZS EV, & will most likely be buying the poverty spec. 4 next year.

Mind you, if you say anything negative about my Model S, woe betide you... :ROFLMAO: :p

I hardly think a German automaker should be the holy grail of how to operate when there was obvious collaboration on the emissions scandal.
A few years ago I bought a 2 year old BMW 320 coupe straight from the BMW dealer. It broke down 2 hours after driving it away with an engine management fault. My details weren’t even fully processed for the roadside recovery as part of their 12 month approved BMW warranty so had a nightmare getting it sent back. They supposedly fixed it and then it developed the same fault 6 weeks later.

My point? Even tried and tested models from premium manufacturers have issues, they key is how good the dealer is at sorting them out. BMW were poor out of interest.

If you think MG are stingy with their warranties you should check out the BYD Atto 3 warranty and probably other BYD upcoming vehicles.

I don't think they are stingy at all. Far from it. Most manufacturers are still typically stuck at 3 years.
Its just that a lot is being made of the "7 year warranty", and really when you look at the small print it is not as comprehensive as I am sure many people will be expecting.

(My bold)

That final paragraph is very true. It certainly is a lot of money to me!

Regarding your first paragraph, why would one have to be 'careful' about making an alleged 'excessively negative' comment?
Is that forum you referred to simply an echo chamber, or simply populated by people who struggle to cope with opinions which may be different to their own, yet opinions which are measured and withing forum rules?
:unsure:

Last edited:
I’m posting to say I have today cancelled my MG4 order in the hope this helps others who have ordered, such that MG UK take note and DO SOMETHING.

I have a Mercedes GLC. It went in for a routine service during COVID. The dealership rang to say they had found an oil leak and we’re keeping the car. They arranged a courtesy car to be delivered to my home. They then flew in the spare parts from Germany, fixed my vehicle and returned it to my home ten days later. I did not even have to pay the normal £15 per day courtesy car fee. That’s the only fault I have had in three years of ownership.

My next door neighbour has, incredibly, an MG5, ZS and, a couple off weeks ago, a 4. And yes. We looked under his 4 and it leaks and has the bulge.

So, I do not want to put myself into a position of owning a vehicle that is not yet proven as fit for purpose but the ultimate deal killer is the silence from MG UK. They give me no confidence so I’m out. Good luck chaps.
A good decision going by how your are feeling.
In fact, if more people in life did as you, and simply refused to put up with (to them) unsatisfactory service, we'd be surprised how much better the service sector world would be.

That final paragraph is very true. It certainly is a lot of money to me!

Regarding your first paragraph, why would one have to be 'careful' about making an alledged 'excessively negative' comment?
Is that forum you referred to simply an echo chamber, or simply populated by people who struggle to handle opinions which may be different to their own, yet opinions which are measured and withing forum rules?
:unsure:
Well, I was referring to a brand-specific camera forum, and it was noticeable how some of the members were defending the indefensible regarding one of the brand's models. I think it's quite a common thing, people identifying so strongly with their favoured brand that they take any criticism personally. Quite common in the world of cameras, anyway...

Well, I was referring to a brand-specific camera forum, and it was noticeable how some of the members were defending the indefensible regarding one of the brand's models. I think it's quite a common thing, people identifying so strongly with their favoured brand that they take any criticism personally. Quite common in the world of cameras, anyway...
I agree. I've seen it so often. But what I always find so amusing is said people, who defend 'their' choice of car/other product to the hilt, becoming uber defensive, getting their mothers, sorry, moderators involved to bail them out, often move on to 'their' next car/brand and the cycle then repeats with that one too...with the one they were once so intense over soon forgotten :confused:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back