Android auto not working well

Perharps if anybody has guidance audio working on Dab, they might let us know which phone brand does work?

We have a oneplus nord and nothing phone, niether brings the audio through. both did on my last car Leaf.

Update... My user manual states both USB outlets under dash are data. This is wrong or one does not work. I had at some point disconnected from one socket and stuck the cable in the other without thinking. I blame myself for not checking the other socket before complaining as this socket works fine with three different phones and my high quality cable of course. So much for both being data compatible.

Perharps if anybody has guidance audio working on Dab, they might let us know which phone brand does work?

We have a oneplus nord and nothing phone, niether brings the audio through. both did on my last car Leaf.
I use Bluetooth to get audio to the head unit and works fine with Samsung A71, Blackview BV8800, realme 6i, Umidigi A7 pro, Huawei Y9. Moto 5. Doesn't matter if it's radio or digital recorded music as it's the Bluetooth connection that matters. Don't you have DAB radio on the car or can't you reach the channel that you want?

The issue being noted is satnav guidance audio (e.g. using Google Maps or Waze) not being audible. I have the same issue, but it's not a problem for me as I mute the guidance audio anyway.

On the MG4 only the left USB A socket can be used for AA/Carplay ... the USB C socket can be used for charging or for playing media (audio/video) from a connected device. In that respect it supports "data", but not interactive data (AA/Carplay). :)

I've had serious issues with AA working. By chance, I had to upgrade my Samsung S9 to an S23 Ultra and (almost) all my issues seem to be fixed, and it works well 98% of the time. There is the occasional glitch though.

I'm surprised you had problems with a Samsung as it along with Pixel phones are thought to be the most compatible with Android Auto. Glad you had some success though.

Other than a very rare black screen when AA starts (which I haven't had for a couple of months now) I've not had any issues with AA with my MG4. (Other than the satnav audio guidance issue, which doesn't concern me anyway as I don't use it). I have a Moto G8 Plus running Android 10.

I don't have any connection issues, either with a cable or via AA Wireless but, I do have an issue where the day or night mode doesn't want to work. Regardless of it being in Auto or Night mode iit still starts in Day mode and blinds the hell out of me at night. I've also had the issues where AA doesn't hear me when I try to speak to it. I can hold down the speech button and it goes bing, bing but then immediately goes ding, ding.

I don't have any connection issues, either with a cable or via AA Wireless but, I do have an issue where the day or night mode doesn't want to work. Regardless of it being in Auto or Night mode iit still starts in Day mode and blinds the hell out of me at night. I've also had the issues where AA doesn't hear me when I try to speak to it. I can hold down the speech button and it goes bing, bing but then immediately goes ding, ding.
When it's dark and AA is in blinding day mode, flip the lights switch off then back on. AA will flip into night mode.

Update... My user manual states both USB outlets under dash are data. This is wrong or one does not work. I had at some point disconnected from one socket and stuck the cable in the other without thinking. I blame myself for not checking the other socket before complaining as this socket works fine with three different phones and my high quality cable of course. So much for both being data compatible.

I use Bluetooth to get audio to the head unit and works fine with Samsung A71, Blackview BV8800, realme 6i, Umidigi A7 pro, Huawei Y9. Moto 5. Doesn't matter if it's radio or digital recorded music as it's the Bluetooth connection that matters. Don't you have DAB radio on the car or can't you reach the channel that you want?
Thanks for the info, is that on an SE or trophy?

On my car, Android auto displays the pre-release version and it keeps disconnecting. When I start the car the message: USB disk failure pops up - I think the UBS port has some problems. Anyway, Apple works fine after I connect the phone when the USB disk failure message disappears. pretty much is related to software I think.

I also find AA to be very frustrating because it seems to make its own mind up when to work and when to not. Sometimes straight away and others never.
It is nothing to do with my car, phone or the USB cable. It is just a very flakey system.

I'll chip into this one. I have Pixel Pro, Trophy on R30 and I have today found:

1. AA just black screened on me when I flipped back to the car and then back to AA (I had guidance in full screen). Only an Infotainment re-boot would correct it.
2. No guidance audio.
3. Despite setting display to dark theme AA always starts in full 'Day' mode.

As the last post above was in March, anyone had any success with resolving these issues or gained any additional info ?

I'll chip into this one. I have Pixel Pro, Trophy on R30 and I have today found:

1. AA just black screened on me when I flipped back to the car and then back to AA (I had guidance in full screen). Only an Infotainment re-boot would correct it.
2. No guidance audio.
3. Despite setting display to dark theme AA always starts in full 'Day' mode.

As the last post above was in March, anyone had any success with resolving these issues or gained any additional info ?
I have/had these exact same symptoms. I had an infotainment software update earlier this week, so will see if they return

Ok, so been playing and found:

1.Unplug the USB from the port
2. Make your phone is connected to B/T on the car
3. Play music from your phone, you should hear it from the car speakers
4. Once you hear audio, plug the USB back in and all should be good

In Google maps, you can control the sound / alerts from the screen

So far so good for me,.... until the next hiccup :rolleyes: this car is an entertaining learning curve for sure

The Android Auto system is crap. In the cars that I've had the version has always been years behind and in my ZS EV it's no different. In the last few cars it's always been an old outdated feeling system with a USB connection always required, at least initially. In fact my last car, a Suzuki, required a USB connection but only to initialise Android Auto. It worked reasonably well after that without needing a cable. The annoying thing is that Android Auto has it's favourites amongst mobile phone brands with Samsung being prominent. Such a shame all car manufacturers can't use a robust standard that will just connect and let us get on with using our communication devices as we would like to, totally hands free and cable free. I envy those that can afford to buy cars with new software systems that simply 'work' and do what you need. I've worked with technology at the cutting edge and Android Auto is not there. That reminds me... To continue looking for an alternative.
iPhone! 👍😀, just the Job !

iPhone! 👍😀, just the Job !
I've tried both AA and Carplay and I have found Carplay to be more reliable but it isn't perfect.

I've found that very occasionally Carplay will still act up, Waze can sometime lose it's position while Apple maps will work OK. It's still hard to know if this if the fault of the car or the phone software, or I have the incorrect settings.

Android Auto only seems to work for a short while, then next journey often screen comes up black or just back to home page. tried two leads and two phones, these worked fine in my leaf for over a year beforehand. Can only think it is the software in the MG4. even when I disconnect the phone sometimes the android auto button stays illuminated and you can click through to a black screen with no phone connected which is odd, pretty sure I am on the latest software as well 1100R13. disappointing. any suggestions except try another lead please!
Having the same dam issue nearly every 3 or for times. Only way getting it working again is to factory reset the unit . Then will happen again after a few times. Must be some sort of software bug in mg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back