• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Aussie 2022 PHEV Model

Elon Musk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Done 9k so far and all good. Getting 1.0L per 100ks. Iam in SA so no real extreme temperatures yet until summer. Getting windows tinted on Monday because the heat through the glass even here in winter is very noticeable. Havent experienced any on going glitches so far with software or any other issues. I do 20-70 KS each day for work so run 90% on battery. I feel it's the perfect car for this setup. Happy days

A fellow South Aussie with a new Phev - thoroughly recommend the window tinting, definitely needed in any car during summer! How do you get 1 ltr per 100 kms? - are you charging the battery every night?
Question to the community - can you charge the car from a public charger? Mine has a type 2 plug inlet, and the public charger I saw had a CCS2 lead. It looks like it could not be used on my Phev.

Hi
March April May yes 1L per 100ks. Hardly used the ICE due to not needing to use the heater and didn't do any long trips. Charge every night at home. Last 3 months colder been using heater first 8ks or so just to get warm. Once the temp outside is say 11deg you can go to ev mode with the heater on 18-20 say. It usually stays in ev mode at these settings. Seat heater on also. It may pop into auto mode now and then if so just dial down the temp until you reach a balance. You just have to play around with it to see.

With warmer weather coming I expect using the aircon for cooling will be similar to the settings with heating. ATM iam getting about 1.7L per 100ks with the cooler weather. Couple of longer trips also 150ks each. The best consumption will be achieved without having to use heating or cooling. Spring/Autumn. Run on ev only each day for me anyway. If you think your gonna do say 90ks in a day try and start off in auto and finish the trip on ev with no battery % left. Avoid running a long time with no battery left as this will make the ICE run at its most unecnomical due to lugging around the weight of the battery that's providing no energy.

I think you can charge at some public points if you buy a separate cable. I think MG calls it a GO cable. Check the website. You can buy after market ones to. Personally I don't see why because they will still take 4 hrs to do a full charge. What's the point?. No fast chaging on these cars. If you go away you could charge from your motel room with an extension cord I guess if possible.
Have fun.

Thanks for your reply. I thought the public chargers would give a fast recharge, but maybe the limit is the battery input level at 3 kw. Have recently done a trip to Melbourne ( 740 kms), and the only motel we found with an outside plug was in Horsham. All others have well-sealed windows and doors that do not allow an extension cable to pass. Maybe more motels/ hotels could have an outside plug for our Phevs?

Thanks for your reply. I thought the public chargers would give a fast recharge, but maybe the limit is the battery input level at 3 kw. Have recently done a trip to Melbourne ( 740 kms), and the only motel we found with an outside plug was in Horsham. All others have well-sealed windows and doors that do not allow an extension cable to pass. Maybe more motels/ hotels could have an outside plug for our Phevs?
What kind of economy did you get on the trip to Melb?. How fast does the battery deplete in auto mode on doing highway speeds?

I found the petrol consumption to Melbourne and back was 6.5 - 7 litres per 100kms. It was my first interstate trip, and I used the 63 kms of battery then went to ICE. I see on this community that people say to use the normal hybrid on the open road, and EV in cities. I will try that next time we do the trip. So I can't answer your second question. But I did think the 6.5 - 7 Ltrs/ 100kms was pretty good for a big car.

Hi All, +EV owner in Newcastle. Drove to Coffs Harbour and back and used 5.2 l/100km. Did it by using ev in Newcastle metro area then auto mode until I’d get to hills. Put it in ev mode for hills up and down (for regen), then as I got close depleted battery to about 3%. I’m happy with those figures. Seat heater and climate control used appropriately.

Fast charging on away trips is a problem. 2 hours should give you a decent charge from a fast charger but cables are the problem. The standard Type 2 male to female fast charge lead will not work at typical charge stations, eg NRMA.
Anyone have a solution to this?

Fast charging on away trips is a problem. 2 hours should give you a decent charge from a fast charger but cables are the problem. The standard Type 2 male to female fast charge lead will not work at typical charge stations, eg NRMA.
Anyone have a solution to this?
Download the PlugShare app to your phone and just set it to look for compatible chargers in the areas you're traveling to. You can't use DC fast chargers like the NRMA ones, so just look for Type 2. You're going to be limited to 3.2kW (the most the car will accept) which gives about 15km/hour of charge in my experience. Closest Type 2 to you is Woolworths in Bomaderry and you'll need your own Type 2-to-Type 2 cable. I keep one of these in the car, along with the supplied 'granny' charger.

A quick question - what does the % Power indicator on the RHS of the main panel show? Is it the % ICE input, the % electric motor, or a combination of both? I know the -% is when the regeneration is occurring, but what does the positive figure show?

A quick question - what does the % Power indicator on the RHS of the main panel show? Is it the % ICE input, the % electric motor, or a combination of both? I know the -% is when the regeneration is occurring, but what does the positive figure show?
My understanding is that it's electric motor only, because you can get it pretty close to 100% in EV mode, and adding the ICE would then far exceed 100%.

What kind of economy did you get on the trip to Melb?. How fast does the battery deplete in auto mode on doing highway speeds?
On a recent trip on the M1, Brisbane to Tweed and return, I used all 63k of the EV mode to get through some heavy traffic on the city outskirts and then ran on auto. To my surprise, on the return journey, I noticed that the battery charge had climbed back up to 8% after around 150k of highway driving. I had enough charge to hit the EV mode for the last few km of the run home.

Hi all,
I am considering purchasing the 2022/23 HS +EV and I would like to know some info.

I drive 35 Km every day to commute with the possibility to recharge in my garage from a normal power point.

I apologize for the long list but I would appreciate any input from your personal experience.

1. What is the latest software update for the infotainment?
  2. Any unresolved issues on mechanics/electronics or infotainment systems?
  3. Where do you service the car to keep its warranty?
  4. What is the fuel economy in hybrid mode with some battery juice (like 10% or more).
  5. How many average KMs the EV motor can support the ICE in Hybrid mode ( working in parallel) driving mostly in the city with some motorway?
  6. What is your average EV range in city?
  7. Is there any available driving mode such as economy, normal, or sport?
  8. Are there any options to save battery charge and use just the combustion engine for longer trips on motorways?
  9. I am aware that the EV mode drops out without any known reasons. What is your experience with that and how do you cope with this issue? What is the impact on fuel economy in hybrid mode?
  10. Any other issue experienced?

I had a test drive of the top-of-the-line this morning and I was very impressed with the interior quality and smooth and punchy ride in EV with extra power in Hybrid. I was able to test drive it just in the city so not sure how it drives on motorways or secondary roads.

It looked quite soft on bumps so comfort seems good but not sure how it handles on bumpy roads.

In the hybrid mode, I saw that the car electornics decides which engine/motor to use or the combination of both, is that right ? Most of the time with low power request I saw the electric motor engaging with sporadic interventions of the ICE for more power request.

It was a warm day 29C and the car started in EV with AC on and set to 24 and then down to 21 after a few minutes without any particular problem. I tried to switch multiple times between EV and Hybrid to see if I had any EV not supported warning. Nothing came up on the cluster. I did not notice any EV drops out when driving uphill or downhill but probably because I was focusing on driving.

I was told that the real EV range varies from 50 to 60Km in city in function of my drive style and for longer trip in Hybrid may have a 3.0 to 4.0 L/100km fuel efficiency if recharged every night.

With no battery charge I should expect a combined fuel average about 8L/100Km and 10L/100KM urban fuel consumption .

What is your experience ? Any advice ?

Last edited:
A lot of questions, but here goes:
1. Not sure of the latest software , but the dealer updated all software when delivered, and I hope that the software is updated every service. I asked about the "dab radio chip" coming out in the UK, but my dealer had not heard of any chip.
2. No unresolved issues with my car. I have the same issues of glitches as you see in this community website. But nothing that doesn't resolve itself.
3. I had the 10,000 kms service last week after 6 months, so I have had interstate trips to Melbourne as well as lots of local driving.
4. I drove to Melbourne in hybrid mode, as well as another time where I used the 63 kms battery, then wholly on ice. In hybrid mode, I gut 6 Ltrs / 100 kms, and 6.5 Ltrs/100 kms in non- hybrid mode.
5. In hybrid mode, the ice sends power to the battery, so the fangs is unlimited. Interestingly, on the highway, in hybrid mode, even with the electric motor assisting the ice, the battery fills up, and is great for when you arrive at the city!
6. The full battery always gives 63 kms, and sometimes more due to the recharging during slowing .
7. No, only hybrid or ev mode.
8. No, and hybrid mode will give you good fuel economy and electricity is presently cheaper than petrol
9. The ev mode will drop out if the heater is used, as the car uses the heated water from the ice to provide the cabin heating. But this is short-lived, and you can switch to ev after 2-3 kms.it has very little effect on fuel economy and you can get away with $20-30 costs per month.
You become very aware of that remaining kms figure.
No other issues, except enjoying the peace and quiet of driving in electric mode. I always charge overnight( not every night), as it takes about 5 hours to charge, regardless of home charging, or charging at public chargers. The car is very comfortable to do long distance driving, and I recommend you keep reading this community website to see others have the same issues as you.
In hybrid mode, the car will accelerate to about 40 kms/hr on electric before the ice kicks in, accelerates to 50 kms/ hr when it changes gear to a comfortable gear ratio. Sometimes in hybrid mode, the car will drive comfortably even at 0 charge in the battery at 50-55 kms/ hr! It is an amazing control system!
The ev always give me 63 kms and more due to the regeneration on braking. You will find driving different, as you slow whenever you take your foot off the accelerator, compared to a " rolling-on" effect in a petrol car!
You will enjoy the driving experience - it is a good half-way car to a full electric car in the future! Hope this helps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom