Autonomous Emergency Braking setting

YaR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Bit overzealous, isn't it? Nearly resulted in a bus going into the back of me today. Average B road, oncoming car was driving safely on their side of the road, my car suddenly goes from 20mph to 0 to the alarm of the bus driver (following at a safe distance).

Just wondering what would have happened had the bus gone into me from an insurance perspective. Clearly the software system would be at fault and that's outwith driver control...

Bit overzealous, isn't it? Nearly resulted in a bus going into the back of me today. Average B road, oncoming car was driving safely on their side of the road, my car suddenly goes from 20mph to 0 to the alarm of the bus driver (following at a safe distance).

Just wondering what would have happened had the bus gone into me from an insurance perspective. Clearly the software system would be at fault and that's outwith driver control...
You can adjust the emergency braking setting using the infotainment.

Technically if the car behind was too close then the large % of the claim would be settled against them, since your car did the breaking a smaller % would be settled against you.
I used to do a fair bit of work around road accidents and insurance claims, despite the system being iffy you will still have a % of blame attached to you. You would need to take it up at a later date with MG

You can adjust the emergency braking setting using the infotainment.
Yes, but it resets when you turn the car off. Clearly unreasonable to expect drivers to go through a pre-flight checklist of turning the various electronics off or on...

Technically if the car behind was too close then the large % of the claim would be settled against them, since your car did the breaking a smaller % would be settled against you.
I used to do a fair bit of work around road accidents and insurance claims, despite the system being iffy you will still have a % of blame attached to you. You would need to take it up at a later date with MG
Yeah, I suppose the insurance industry doesn't survive by assuming no fault as the default.

I took mine to the dealer because of this. The mechanic went into the informant and adjusted the settings and it's been fine ever since no problems in 2 months.
I believe he went into a service mode to make adjustments.

Phantom braking on my Tesla is horrible. It’s mainly at motorway speed that it brakes suddenly for no reason.
My advice to everyone driving a car with any level of automation - you should always be attentive with your hands on the wheel and foot on the accelerator so you can take control if the lane keep assist or autonomous emergency braking does something unexpected.

In Australia if you run into the back of someone, you’re at fault. End of story.

Doesn’t seem to discourage a lot of tailgaters though.

Phantom braking on my Tesla is horrible. It’s mainly at motorway speed that it brakes suddenly for no reason.
My advice to everyone driving a car with any level of automation - you should always be attentive with your hands on the wheel and foot on the accelerator so you can take control if the lane keep assist or autonomous emergency braking does something unexpected.
Yes, I think many people don't realise you can overcome the emergency braking by accelerating over it.

Not in my M4,I have to press brake pedal to deactivate Emergency braking. My wife as got in to the habit of turning it off when she is in the passenger seat.
Yes, I think many people don't realise you can overcome the emergency braking by accelerating over it.

My wife and I now turn front collision assist off before every journey. It takes 5 seconds and has become part of our routine so it’s not a huge hassle. The stress of not knowing whether it would activate inappropriately was making the driving experience horrible. Now we are both enjoying driving the car again. I’m hoping there will be a software update at some point that fixes this though because it is unacceptable and will definitely cause accidents.

I’m convinced the following driver would have been deemed at fault. You are supposed to able to stop within the distance you can see, regardless of conditions.

I’m convinced the following driver would have been deemed at fault. You are supposed to able to stop within the distance you can see, regardless of conditions.
Any accident where both cars are moving on the road will have a % of blame attached to each driver when the insurance companies settle.
The only way it will normally be settled 100% in someone's favour is if you are completely statiotor their is criminal blame attached to the other driver.

Any accident where both cars are moving on the road will have a % of blame attached to each driver when the insurance companies settle.
The only way it will normally be settled 100% in someone's favour is if you are completely statiotor their is criminal blame attached to the other driver.
What a complete load of nonsense

i am a loss adjuster and this is factually incorrect.

the car behind should be at safe distance to stop if the leading car needs to perform an emergency stop.

What a complete load of nonsense

i am a loss adjuster and this is factually incorrect.

the car behind should be at safe distance to stop if the leading car needs to perform an emergency stop.
Having previously worked in accident investigation (eventually for insurance companies) and given evidence at civil trials I can assure you that at least in Scottish law this is in fact not a complete load of nonsense and is in fact 100% correct.

I am happy to stand corrected if you can tell me how many civil cases involving insurance companies/drivers disputing blame you have given evidence at in Scottish court rooms.
Because in my numerous cases of giving evidence it will get settled with blame being apportioned to some percentage to both drivers.
I can also assure you as part of the investigation we would look into issues around the safety systems of cars if drivers are stating this was an issue that played a part in the accident.

I am talking about cases where drivers and companies are adamant the other party caused it.

I do however agree that car behind should be at a safe distance, hence why I my experience it would be a much smaller % apportioned to the car in front, but a % none the same.

Ah... trust the Scottish to be different! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Civil law itself is a total mess and thankfully Most cases tend to be sorted before court cases are called.
As I said it's purely the cases where they are not accepting a % of blame.
I honestly believe that if an investigator/company found out the car In front phantom braked they would be 100% looking for the blame to be shared to a % with the other company.
I am pretty sure I read about a case involving a Tesla doing the same, it was a few years back now when I still read the latest updates.

You are very vague regarding your job, what exactly did you do?

as stated I was a loss adjuster and never saw a case where the person in front was held partially to blame.

there were instances when people were loading the boot of the car with cement and causing the car behind to go into them to claim whiplash injuries ( loading the boot with heavy material reduced the impact on the driver and passengers of the car in front so they never actually got whiplash). This led to a much more stringent checking and using panel doctors to evidence whiplash.

all I can say is must be very different in Scotland than it is in England.

You are very vague regarding your job, what exactly did you do?

as stated I was a loss adjuster and never saw a case where the person in front was held partially to blame.

there were instances when people were loading the boot of the car with cement and causing the car behind to go into them to claim whiplash injuries ( loading the boot with heavy material reduced the impact on the driver and passengers of the car in front so they never actually got whiplash). This led to a much more stringent checking and using panel doctors to evidence whiplash.

all I can say is must be very different in Scotland than it is in England.

As I've said I no longer do that and as I already said it was only in a small percentage of cases that actually made it to court.
As you will be aware insurance companies really don't want the extra expense of court/solicitor/expert witness fees.
The only reason I mentioned the apportioning of blame part was because of a stated case I read about, in a bulletin, involving a Tesla phantom braking episode, this resulted in a small % of costs attributed to the Tesla owners insurance due to the fault.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back