Autonomous Emergency Braking setting

Situation. Car A is stationary at a roundabout, waiting to join. Sees an opportunity and moves off but then car B suddenly appears on the right, probably speeding, and driver A thinks better of the manoeuvre. Slams on the brakes. Car C then rear-ends car A.

I have been both driver A and driver C in that scenario (on different occasions obvs) and both times driver C was deemed to be entirely to blame.

As I said a very small percentage go to court and the incident with the Tesla phantom braking was put out there as a stated case.

It is a horrendous system, slams the brakes on when the 'hazard' has already been seen and assessed as not requiring any further change of speed or direction but the software (wrongly) thinks better.

Another fault in what is already by far the worst car I've ever driven.

This raises an interesting insurance problem where the car will be at fault when fully autonomous driving becomes available, not the driver

we are quite a few years away from that but will you have to insure the car or will the managacturer be liable?

This raises an interesting insurance problem where the car will be at fault when fully autonomous driving becomes available, not the driver

we are quite a few years away from that but will you have to insure the car or will the managacturer be liable?
Don't worry. It won't happen. fully autonomous driving might just about work on American highways with few intersections and no roundabouts. It won't anywhere else in the world. It's just wishful thinking on the part of software developers.

Don't worry. It won't happen. fully autonomous driving might just about work on American highways with few intersections and no roundabouts. It won't anywhere else in the world. It's just wishful thinking on the part of software developers.
I agree , it will never be good enough to deal with every eventuality.

We tested my friends EV6 automation the other week (a million times better than the MG4 to begin with). I asked him what happens if you have it in ACC and self steering on the motorway and you fell asleep. So we ignored the cars urgings to take hold of the wheel. Eventually, it gave up, and silently switched off the lane keeping and just starting drifting across the road at the set cruise speed.

So much for failing safe. I thought at least it would start a loud alarm, maybe continue to steer, slow down, just something? I wasn't expecting it to just give up.

What trim level is your car, I suspect a Trophy? As posted many times on this site, software is more prone to issues. I have an SE LR only annoying glitch is LKA keeps resetting. Other than that I love this car.!

What trim level is your car, I suspect a Trophy? As posted many times on this site, software is more prone to issues. I have an SE LR only annoying glitch is LKA keeps resetting. Other than that I love this car.!
And that isn't even a glitch. It supposed to reset and turn on each time.

The NCAP report for the ZSEV is attached.
page 13 scores the lane keeping as 1.8 out of 4 but strangely shows LKA as good

Attachments

• euroncap-2019-mg-zs-ev-datasheet.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 79
The NCAP report for the ZSEV is attached.
page 13 scores the lane keeping as 1.8 out of 4 but strangely shows LKA as good
Emergency Lane Keeping is what most people referring to LKA are actually talking about.
ELKA is when the steering wheel automatically pulls. That got "poor" in that report.

Whilst the LKA on my ZS keeps me in lane, it does so by swaying between the white lines. It is as though it cant work out where the centre is and it needs to wait until it gets too close to one white line where it sends it towards then other white line and the process repeats.

a friend has a Tesla and it is far better, it keeps to the centre of the lane without swaying.

Forgetting all the legal side of this post, the actual experience of driving my MG4, and I guess a large number of Euro NCAP 5 cars, is that it can be a scary experience at times with Lane Keep assist plus forward and rear collision avoidance systems. The systems make some very strange decisions at times - especially if the road markings aren't great - where the car suddenly decides to veer right or left for no reason or brakes when there is large gap to the vehicle ahead and at other times does nothing when the car in front brakes sharply. As someone suggested its not reasonable to have to run through a checklist every time you jump in a car and turn off various settings - that's more like flying an aircraft. The onus must be on the manufacturers to agree a set of standard vehicle control software modules and publish regular controlled updates

Bit overzealous, isn't it? Nearly resulted in a bus going into the back of me today. Average B road, oncoming car was driving safely on their side of the road, my car suddenly goes from 20mph to 0 to the alarm of the bus driver (following at a safe distance).

Just wondering what would have happened had the bus gone into me from an insurance perspective. Clearly the software system would be at fault and that's outwith driver control...
That’s twice in a week I’ve seen this been reported on here 😯

Whilst the LKA on my ZS keeps me in lane, it does so by swaying between the white lines. It is as though it cant work out where the centre is and it needs to wait until it gets too close to one white line where it sends it towards then other white line and the process repeats.

a friend has a Tesla and it is far better, it keeps to the centre of the lane without swaying.

Well, that's what it's supposed to do.....
The Tesla has autopilot autosteering, which keeps it centred in the lane and essentially drives itself.
MG does not, it has lane keep assist so whenever you venture to close to/over the line, it pulls you back.

In road-transport terminology, lane centering, also known as auto steer or autosteer, is an advanced driver-assistance system that keeps a road vehicle centered in the lane, relieving the driver of the task of steering. Lane centering is similar to lane departure warning and lane keeping assist, but rather than warn the driver, or bouncing the car away from the lane edge, it keeps the car centered in the lane.[1][2][3][4] Together with adaptive cruise control (ACC), this feature may allow unassisted driving for some length of time.[5][6][7] It is also part of automated lane keeping systems.

Yeah, but TJA does attempt keep you centered - though in a twitchy manner once the speed increases. If they dialled down the aggressiveness of that system, it may be more useful.

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of the difference which now makes sense.

May have to get the wheel alignement checked then🫤

TJA is okay but I thought it only works up to 37 mph?.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back