Battery equalisation on ZSEV Trophy LR

Good point I was thinking they where using the I smart app to see charge rate?
Is that showing on your IHD if so what background usage do you normally have?
ismart app and sync charger app, both showing the same 1.56 kw.
Its stopped charging now (9.30), about 3.5 hrs after reaching 100% so hopefully all good now!

ismart app and sync charger app, both showing the same 1.56 kw.
Its stopped charging now (9.30), about 3.5 hrs after reaching 100% so hopefully all good now!
I'm surprised it took that long being a standard range I take it you're regularly charging it to 100% anyway

I'm surprised it took that long being a standard range I take it you're regularly charging it to 100% anyway

No, we only usually charge to 80 or 85% unless we have a long trip to do!
Only charged to 100% about 4 or 5 times in 8 months.

No wonder it needs balancing sounds like your treating it like a LR not SR
But no one has ever explained what we should be doing!
Our dealer didn't tell us!
MG main dealer said the instructions were in the app!
The app says do it at regular intervals but doesn't say how or what the intervals are!
How often should we charge to 100%?
Most of the advice says only charge to 80%!

But no one has ever explained what we should be doing!
Our dealer didn't tell us!
MG main dealer said the instructions were in the app!
The app says do it at regular intervals but doesn't say how or what the intervals are!
How often should we charge to 100%?
Most of the advice says only charge to 80%!
The BMS would like it to be charged to 100% when ever possible that's why there is no option to stop the charging automatically on standard range
On the long range you can set battery charge limit in the car or app

The BMS would like it to be charged to 100% when ever possible that's why there is no option to stop the charging automatically on standard range
On the long range you can set battery charge limit in the car or app
This is the most common advice we have found!

What is the recommended EV charge limit?

Most of the time you should only charge an EV to 80% because charging rates slow down dramatically past the 80% mark. And two, the long-term health of your vehicle's battery pack is improved when kept below 100%.6 Oct 2022
Home 2022 - EN › blog › the-80...

The 80% Rule - WiTricity

Attachments

• 1679569110588.png
    1679569110588.png
    307 bytes · Views: 89

Most of the time you should only charge an EV to 80% because charging rates slow down dramatically past the 80% mark. And two, the long-term health of your vehicle's battery pack is improved when kept below 100%.6 Oct 2022

The 80% Rule - WiTricity

Unfortunately that article use the Hyundai ioniq which has a MNC battery your standard range uses LFP just like the new Teslas and they now recommend for best results charge to 100%(more for the BMS than the battery) as a LFP charged to 100% will still outlast a MNC battery charged to 80%

The 80% Rule - WiTricity

The health of the pack is a different issue (although apparently there is evidence to suggest the LFP battery does do well on degradation to high SoC).

The reason for going to 100% reasonably frequently (as N2STY says) is down to the BMS. Voltage drops (and hence SoC) is harder to calculate accurately on LFP batteries, so the BMS needs to see the battery at higher SoC more frequently to be more accurate.

Granted the manual doesn't really significantly differ in its advice. The only 'hint' is MG disabling the 80% restrictor on the SR settings.

Unfortunately that article use the Hyundai ioniq which has a MNC battery your standard range uses LFP just like the new Teslas and they now recommend for best results charge to 100%(more for the BMS than the battery) as a LFP charged to 100% will still outlast a MNC battery charged to 80%
That's all very helpful, thanks.

The health of the pack is a different issue (although apparently there is evidence to suggest the LFP battery does do well on degradation to high SoC).

The reason for going to 100% reasonably frequently (as N2STY says) is down to the BMS. Voltage drops (and hence SoC) is harder to calculate accurately on LFP batteries, so the BMS needs to see the battery at higher SoC more frequently to be more accurate.

Granted the manual doesn't really significantly differ in its advice. The only 'hint' is MG disabling the 80% restrictor on the SR settings.
I did think that, when we 1st had the car, we could set an 80% charge! I didn't realise that MG disabled it!

I did think that, when we 1st had the car, we could set an 80% charge! I didn't realise that MG disabled it!
Yes there way to get you to charge to 100% with out writing it down or telling you the reason
Seriously just Treat like a mobile phone lol it's got the 8 year warranty on the battery

The “Charge to 80%” recommendation, could also refer to when EV owners charge via a D/C high speed rapid charge when travelling longer distances.
This is because when using a rapid unit, the fastest charging speeds are obtained when you arrive with a lower SOC in your pack.
When the car reaches around 80% SOC the charging rate / speed will throttle right back.
At this point, it is therefore best to stop charging and continue on with your trip.
I think this is seen as good charging behaviour, in order to free up the unit for the next EV user and saving time sitting waiting at that slower speed for the remaining 20%.
But if you require charging to 100% then thats fine, but you will be waiting some time.
This just MAY help confuse the advice given on the statement “only charging to 80%” with regards to D/C rapid chargers over A/C units at home.
The selling and servicing of EV’s are still very new to some dealerships, believe it or not !.
The help and advice given can vary a LOT in this regard.
From the vehicle handover, right through to the after sales / servicing requirements.
It’s worth remembering, that some MG dealers had never SEEN an electric car, until the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) turned up in 2019.
Let alone lifted the bonnet and worked on one !.
For this reason alone, when seeking help try a no pick a dealer who has had previous experience on working on EV’s in the past.
Some dealers share the same facilities as the Nissan brand and the “Leaf” has given them the opportunity to have a head start of about 8 - 9 years on the competition.

Last edited:
OP here. I tried to post this reply a few days back, but it's not appeared. Ah well. Sorry I haven't posted earlier. Life has been all over the place lately.

I have now had the opportunity to charge from a low state to 100% a few times. Normal pattern is to charge to 80% at home, and only charge to 100% if we are about to do a "long" run, perhaps once a month. It tends to have a DC charge away for the homeward journey. The car is an LR Trophy.

According to the iSmart app, the car mainly charges at about 6.5kW, dropping to about 1.5kW somewhere past 90% full. I've not seen any charging rate as low a 300W (which someone mentioned. Neither is it sticking on 100% for any substantial amount a time. A few minutes, but short enough that it could well just be teh difference between the state of charge rounding to 100% for display purpose and actually reaching 100%.

I've had no warning of battery imbalance, which apparently the car should give, and the battery voltage, from memory, reaches just over 400V.

So I don't know what is going on. It is quite different from my MkI ZSEV I am assuming all is well...

So I charged our Mk2 MG ZS LR Trophy to 100% for the first time since we bought it middle of last year. Used A/C to get it up to 100% from about 30%. I was hoping to balance the cells so charged it to 100. Took a few hours but we got to 100. I noticed something weird on the app. Is that meant to show me the battery health or is it just bad design of battery display in the app? I've marked it where I think it might be the battery health bar. Is that the same with everyone as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_182224_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_182224_MG iSMART.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 80
Wife took ours for its first long drive up north, stopped twice at rapid chargers each way, came back and I charged to 80% on our fast charger. The GOM now says 230 miles at 80% charge (before was about 190). Did notice that battery was being heated at the rapid chargers, could this be the difference? driving was on motorway at about 60-65.

So I charged our Mk2 MG ZS LR Trophy to 100% for the first time since we bought it middle of last year. Used A/C to get it up to 100% from about 30%. I was hoping to balance the cells so charged it to 100. Took a few hours but we got to 100. I noticed something weird on the app. Is that meant to show me the battery health or is it just bad design of battery display in the app? I've marked it where I think it might be the battery health bar. Is that the same with everyone as well?
Nope. That bar underneath tracks my main bar exactly. So much so that I thought it was just a 3D edge design element of the percentage bar….

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom