Blinded by the price!

I think that alone is enough to put me off the car. They seem completely unusable on roundabouts.
Yep, looked at some of the video's indicators on the wheel. Why is elon trying to re-invent the wheel. I was really interested with the new looks etc but the no stalks situation has put Tesla back down the list.

Yep, looked at some of the video's indicators on the wheel. Why is elon trying to re-invent the wheel. I was really interested with the new looks etc but the no stalks situation has put Tesla back down the list.
I agree. I might be able to overlook the silly no-screen-in-front-of-driver, no-stalks-minimal-buttons and no AA/CarPlay IF it was a compelling design of car and at the right price - the M3 is neither. Hoping the new smaller Tesla will be more appealing, I'd like to at least be considering it.

Spot the difference between the old and the new Model 3
View attachment 19934View attachment 19935
Hint... The new revamped one is red.

Oooh nice….
Happy Oh Yeah GIF

The reason for no indicators is not to reinvent the wheel but cut cost, but I could imagine you would use to easy

The reason for no indicators is not to reinvent the wheel but cut cost, but I could imagine you would use to easy
Totally different to what we have all used for years would definitely just be something to get used to

Everyone I know who has or has owned a Tesla has hated them

Had my new Tesla model 3 for 1 month/1500miles.

My opinions so far: the TM3 interior is in a different league to the MG4 so your comment about interiors actually made me laugh out loud. The driving experience is superb and feels much more like the premium experience of Audi or BMW that I have had. TM3 is among the best and most enjoyable cars I have owned so far and I have had many Audi, BMW and other marques in the past.

including build quality and customer service

Build quality feels very impressive so far. Customer service has been excellent. I had a minor issue with sticky seat belt adjuster. Booked via my phone, Tesla ranger arrived at my work car park 2 days later, I unlocked car remotely and it was fixed. MG4 experience for me was time off work, collect/return crappy courtesy car, fault invariably not fixed, 10 such experiences in 10 months for me!

Panel gaps, cheap interiors and everything controlled through that screen. Both cars also have performance that you will never be able to use.

I have uniform, correct panel gaps, a properly premium interior, love the screen which is super intuitive and easy to use. What many people fail to grasp is how good the screen interface and design is. I had my doubts before driving and I didn't even test drive before purchase but as soon as I got in, loved it and still do,

Massively usable, put a grin on my face every time performance. and putting the power down I find far better than my MG4 - the traction control on the TM3 is excellent, even in the wet giving it beans from a junction, zero drama. In my MG4 I frequently had the back end moving around in the wet, easily corrected but did not feel great.

Having owned an MG4 and being underwhelmed by the interior which for me was always "just OK" - lots of cheap scratchy plastics which were so easily marked - I found your cheap interior comment very amusing. I am extremely impressed with the TM3 interior and I was much less impressed with MG4 interior (granted much cheaper car built to a price point)

Just silly!

Yup, agree

Oh, and my car farts. I don't know how you live without this in your life :rolleyes:

Tesla Performance on my salary sacrifice £773
MG4 XPower £355
(Both with paint only option).

I don’t like the way Tesla’s look so wouldn’t ever have one, but are folk suggesting they are over £400 a month better?

Comparing a M3 with an MG4 doesn't make a lot of sense to me, they are in different price brackets, different sizes, different styles and aimed at different segments.

Yes, you could always buy a second hand M3 instead of an MG4, but that applies to almost anything - you could buy an old porsche or a vintage car or a used Ford Transit.

I don't the comparison means a lot really if it isn't apples-to-apples, ie same price bracket, same size, same type of car.

Not saying anyone shouldn't buy anything, people are free to do as they wish.

It is really hard to reconcile the different views on Tesla service. Some say it is fantastic, quick, efficient, rangers coming to you, all done via the app etc... Others say it is terrible; treated like a number, no personal service, no recourse, driving miles and miles to a service centre, huge delays, etc etc...

I think then it is like many things - including the MG4 - some have a great experience and some do not.

It's not really comparable, one is at the forefront of technology efficiency, charging and innovation the other is an MG 4, good value EV questionable quality control and service but a great budget option right across the range.

Again it's what suits people's on needs but when you have Robert Lewellyn and Tesla Bjorn all saying the new M3 has moved the goal posts again I'll trust their judgement.
As @tsedge says though not comparable cars

I admit the price was a huge factor in my decision to buy the car, but I wouldn't say I was blinded by it. I started with a notional budget I was very reluctant to exceed, and lo and behold, here was a car that ticked all the boxes and came in under the budget. I also liked its looks.

The price was so attractive it couldn't fail to occur to me that there might be a catch. But on the other hand, MG might really be determined to grab market share by offering a genuine good-value product. Was I going to pass up the latter possibility out of pure suspicion? No, I wasn't. I decided to take a punt on it. If it turns out to be a disaster some way down the line, well, I'll have to look at the finances again and figure out how to move on.

I hate the way Teslas look. I have always had hatchbacks and a hatchback is really essential to my lifestyle. A Tesla wasn't even on the radar. Some other things were, but I was really attracted to the looks and specs of the MG4, and the SE SR in particular, so that everything aligned in one direction. I needed a car this summer, or preferably this spring. Was I prepared to pay an extra £10K for something similar but hypothetically less of a risk?

I went for it. And right now I am very happy with it. I'd like to get the undertray fixed. I'd like to be sure the aircon noise isn't a harbinger of problems. I'd like them to fix these silly software bugs that annoy me. But I love driving it, it's so convenient to charge, and it puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. The smile was still there after driving a round trip of over 900 miles.

Just don't rust to bits in five years, or fall apart in some other terminal sort of way, and we'll be fine.

Anyone know if the option list has changed for the new Model 3 ? It was rumoured air suspension may be one new option ... as the old model 3 (all models) have had a lot of criticism about its harsh ride when cruising around British roads.

Anyone know if the option list has changed for the new Model 3 ? It was rumoured air suspension may be one new option ... as the old model 3 (all models) have had a lot of criticism about its harsh ride when cruising around British roads.
No mention of it but the suspension has apparently had a lot of work done it, along with specially designed tyres (for the new 3) to aid with efficiency and ride

No mention of it but the suspension has apparently had a lot of work done it, along with specially designed tyres (for the new 3) to aid with efficiency and ride
I have also heard that the suspension has been improved and the ride isn't a problem. That's what test drives are for, though I suppose that is harder with a M3 if you are long way from the nearest sales centre.

Tesla Performance on my salary sacrifice £773
MG4 XPower £355
(Both with paint only option).

I don’t like the way Tesla’s look so wouldn’t ever have one, but are folk suggesting they are over £400 a month better?
4k deposit and 385 per month on interest free finance for my new model 3

I'm but I seem to have stumbled onto the Tesla Forum. Please forgive me by saying that:

I bought the MG4 Trophy because It liked it's looks - it's not a 'box' or 'bland';

I bought the car because the ride was comfortable and I was relaxed as soon as I test drove an SE;

I bought the car because it was cheaper than the other offerings with the same spec and I cannot afford perfection;

I bought the car to keep it until it dies or I do.

Note that I have not had any of the hardware issues others have had and can manage the software issues.

4k deposit and 385 per month on interest free finance for my new model 3

Don’t think it’s the new 1 as you can’t order it in the uk yet only registering interest. Inventory stock of the previous model 3 is 0% finance. If order a none inventory stock it’s currently Cash only.

Don’t think it’s the new 1 as you can’t order it in the uk yet only registering interest. Inventory stock of the previous model 3 is 0% finance. If order a none inventory stock it’s currently Cash only.
I don’t recall saying it was the new one……

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back