BP pulse……

Captain

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Planned a stop at a BP pulse 150kw charger enroute from Cornwall…arrived with 20% and would it work…?
So after 5 visits to broken chargers I’m in Bude getting 7kwh waiting for enough range to get back to civilisation 😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:
There's issues with CCS communication between MG4 and BP Pulse chargers (possibly others). Talked about numerous times on here.
There's a service interval update to fix this. You could probably badger your dealer to get it applied before waiting for a service though.

There's issues with CCS communication between MG4 and BP Pulse chargers (possibly others). Talked about numerous times on here.
There's a service interval update to fix this. You could probably badger your dealer to get it applied before waiting for a service though.
I’m going to avoid BP for the foreseeable…
Ionity and gridserve seem the only ones I can trust for more critical charges…still an extra day in Cornwall isn’t the worst thing that can happen 😎

BP pulse is by far and away the most unreliable charger out there in my experience.
As I found 😬

I live in Milton Keynes where the council decided that granting BP Pulse a virtual monopoly on charging was a great idea. For months the majority of their chargers have been broken, and when BP finally decided to start upgrading their hardware, they started with the few working chargers they still had...

At this point I’ve told ABRP to never use a BP Pulse charger, chances are it won’t work anyway.

Last edited:
Indeed they do - when ICE drivers don't park in the charging point spaces. Have used them a couple of times on longer trips.

I think the likes of McDonalds are making a far better job of building a nationwide charging network than the oil companies.

The destination chargers at the theatre car park I'm booked into next week are BP Pulse. Hope to hell they work, because I'm relying on them to get the battery to 100% and balance before I start the 450 mile return journey.

Does R46 software fix this issue? Or is the fix independent of the usual software upgrades

I live in Milton Keynes where the council decided that granting BP Pulse a virtual monopoly on charging was a great idea. For months the majority of their chargers have been broken, and when BP finally decided to start upgrading their hardware, they started with the few working chargers they still had...

At this point I’ve told ABRP to never use a BP Pulse charger, chances are it won’t work anyway.
I’ve tried to take it out of mine…
An inexact science 🤓

The destination chargers at the theatre car park I'm booked into next week are BP Pulse. Hope to hell they work, because I'm relying on them to get the battery to 100% and balance before I start the 450 mile return journey.
Let us know 🤔
Ruined my journey back to the midlands

Let us know 🤔
Ruined my journey back to the midlands

I will. If the destination chargers are a bust I can always head for a rapid charger before I set off for home, or even charge all night on my granny lead at the house of the friends I'm staying with. As long as I get going with a good SoC (preferably 100%), I'm OK to leave late morning/lunch time. I've got options. But the theatre having bookable destination chargers is a seriously good element in the mix and I hope they work.

Does R46 software fix this issue? Or is the fix independent of the usual software upgrades
It's independent I believe, r46 refers to the version of infotainment software.
Can't find the post with the details now though, maybe I saw it on a facebook group.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back