• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Can the MG ZS EV use Tesla chargers?

I’ve noticed that as Tesla are selling more tm3 cars, their chargers are getting full.

A recent visit to the large charging bay at Rugby Services I noticed that all the Tesla chargers were full and a couple of Tesla tm3 cars were on the “Normal” CCS chargers.

Personally, with near 300 miles of range I don’t see me using Rapid chargers that often to worry about it.

Here in France Tesla have opened up some of their superchargers to non-Tesla cars now.

Charging has to be initiated by the Tesla app and the press release stated the users must live in France (and other countries such as NL where this is also being trialled), but there is nothing stopping you from downloading the app, then registering and choosing France as the country you are in. You can set the app to be in English regardless.

Then just set your payment card and search for a supercharger. They are now also listed on ABRP.

Screenshot_20220302-142158.jpg
Screenshot_20220302-142550.jpg

Here in France Tesla have opened up some of their superchargers to non-Tesla cars now.

Charging has to be initiated by the Tesla app and the press release stated the users must live in France (and other countries such as NL where this is also being trialled), but there is nothing stopping you from downloading the app, then registering and choosing France as the country you are in. You can set the app to be in English regardless.

Then just set your payment card and search for a supercharger. They are now also listed on ABRP.

View attachment 7231 View attachment 7232
Unfortunately, it won’t work with chargers in the UK.

Some Tesla “Destination Chargers” can be used. These are no different to the normal 7kW chargers as far as the MG is concerned.

Unfortunately, it won’t work with chargers in the UK.

Some Tesla “Destination Chargers” can be used. These are no different to the normal 7kW chargers as far as the MG is concerned.
Yup, that's why I said "here in France" and "other countries such as NL where this is also being trialled" - not sure why Tesla are not trialling it in the UK too, hopefully will not be long before you guys are also included.
On the plus side, if you venture this side of the channel into FR or NL, at least there are a few more charging options now (and yet another app to add to your collection :cautious: )

Last edited:
Finally i mustered up courage to go outside canberra towards sydney.
My first stop was fast 350w chrgefox charger 1 hour away in Goulburn. Guess what it was the same issue as tesla charger. i.e disconnectafter short negotiation. That was discoraging.
I took chance to stop at next stop 176 kms away from home and found NRMA 50w CCS2 charger at Bowral (birth place of Sir Don Bradman).
Thanks for free facilty offered by NRMA and it worked.
So conclusion is if this Bowral station is not working then you cannot go to Sydney.
So check plugshare app before leaving and hope it keeps working for 2 hours till you reach there. Situation downunder for ev chargers is not great.
I have reported chargefox to help fix the compatibility with this car.

Attachments

• 20220312_150855.jpg
    20220312_150855.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 83
My first stop was fast 350w Chargefox charger 1 hour away in Goulburn. Guess what it was the same issue as tesla charger. i.e. disconnect after short negotiation. That was discouraging.
If it was this one, then those are also Tritium chargers. Maybe I should drive my MG up to the factory, and get them to try and diagnose the issue. But I don't know if they have a 350 kW model set up for testing. I know they had a 175 kW set up (or was that a 75 kW model?) and they called for testers some time back. I can't recall if I drove the MG or the Leaf; I suspect that was before we had the MG.

Last edited:
Are we about to take a step closer to using Tesla chargers in the near future I wonder ???.
This video would suggest that the government is close to doing a deal with Tesla on this subject.
The MP speaks about “Months or weeks, rather than years”.
Interestingly, I was talking to a friend who owns a model S performance, who told me that fellow Tesla owners have reported that the reversing rubber bump stops ( placed in front of the super chargers ) have been getting removed from the parking bays, this has been seen at a number of locations now.
Many Tesla owners think this is a sign of something about to be announced by Tesla.
Some are unhappy about the situation, but do consider something is very likely to happen.
EV owners are screaming at the government to improve the current charging infrastructure and to do it NOW !.
If they are able to strike a deal with Tesla, this relieves a huge amount of pressure from their shoulders.
I wonder 💭 what the government has hanging above the head of Tesla to make this happen ??????.
Are they stalling Tesla on any future plans they have to increase the size of infrastructure in the U.K. ????.
With reference to agreeing planning permission etc ?????.

I wonder 💭 what the government has hanging above the head of Tesla to make this happen ??????.
I doubt it's much if anything. Here in France Tesla have opened up their superchargers to non-Teslas (on a selective basis, those that are always busy remain Tesla only), as they also have in NL.

One would assume it's simple economics; Tesla charge non-Teslas higher prices to use their charging network and as EV adoption rises it's a fool who ignores money on the table.

Tesla owners aren't going to be happy.

The (inflated?) price paid for a Tesla has an element of paying for the access to the supercharger network, imo. Elon then opens it up to all and sundry to make further profit. It's a good way to t off your customers.
Why would that p*** off Tesla customers? we have already seen in this thread that Tesla owners who don't get free supercharging will happily use another service if it is free... and I can almost guarantee that those who do use the supercharger network are doing so because they are getting it for free with their vehicle... The cost for a non-tesla EV to use this network is not going to be cheap and is likely to only be used by most people in an emergency or when there is no other alternative... I don't think I have ever seen a supercharger hub that is full either.

Why would that p*** off Tesla customers? we have already seen in this thread that Tesla owners who don't get free supercharging will happily use another service if it is free... and I can almost guarantee that those who do use the supercharger network are doing so because they are getting it for free with their vehicle... The cost for a non-tesla EV to use this network is not going to be cheap and is likely to only be used by most people in an emergency or when there is no other alternative... I don't think I have ever seen a supercharger hub that is full either.
I would agree. The few times I’ve seen a Tesla hub they have been Empty or perhaps one car charging at a whole row of outlets. Yet at any of the free Tesco or CPS charge sites there always seems to be at least one Tesla charging on the CCS. Occasionally one on the 22 kW and strangely never any on the 7 kW units 🤔
I arrived for a top up the other day at Stirling hub where there’s 4 CCS units.
A Tesla hogged one the whole time I was there (35mins)
An MG ZS came in and used another about the same time as us.
A guy in a Mini and another in a VW had a race for two minutes to get unplugged and drive off to allow us on (we used the VW’s unit to leave the Mini’s free as it’s marked for disabled use.
Then two more Tesla’s arrived just as we left.

[ Moderator: corrected units. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point.

However, if I owned a Tesla and rolled up to a supercharger location to find all the chargers being used by non-Tesla vehicles then I wouldn't be too happy.

Point I made was the price of a Tesla would indicate that a portion was used to create/maintain the super charger network......or maybe that is total nonsense.

Just my two pennorth.

I see your point.

However, if I owned a Tesla and rolled up to a supercharger location to find all the chargers being used by non-Tesla vehicles then I wouldn't be too happy.

Point I made was the price of a Tesla would indicate that a portion was used to create/maintain the super charger network......or maybe that is total nonsense.

Just my two pennorth.
Indeed that’s all correct but I’m not sure how often a Tesla driver would find every unit in use given that the cost is liable to be a bit inflated for the Musk free among us 😜

Indeed that’s all correct but I’m not sure how often a Tesla driver would find every unit in use given that the cost is liable to be a bit inflated for the Musk free among us 😜
Wouldn't at all be surprised in the South of England where charger availability would appear to be sorely insufficient.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom