Can the MG ZS EV use Tesla chargers?

Can't understand why any destination bothers with Tesla chargers....I must be missing something! Why disadvantage other EV drivers by having an EV brand specific charger. Doesn't make sense to me.
We have just got back from East Midlands Designer Outlet. They have a bank of 10 Tesla chargers but nothing else. Stupid really.

We have just got back from East Midlands Designer Outlet. They have a bank of 10 Tesla chargers but nothing else. Stupid really.
Feel your pain!

Broxden Park and Ride just off the M90 in Perth, a main route. 12 Tesla superchargers (1 being used). 3 Chargeplace Scotland chargers - 1 out of service, 1 in use by an eGolf, 1 being used by a Tesla Model 3. Why would a Tesla prefer a CPS charger to a Tesla Supercharger? The CPS charger is free vend!

Time to start charging in Scotland to ensure chargers are maintained properly and to deter Tesla drivers who have a perfectly good supercharger network (purely my opinion, of course!).

Can't understand why any destination bothers with Tesla chargers...
I assume it's because Tesla provide them either free, or heavily discounted. And these days, the Tesla provided EVSEs charge only Teslas. Which is fair enough in a way, but not if your goal (and it's Tesla's stated goal) is to promote the widest possible EV adoption.

It may be that by locking the EVSEs to Tesla vehicles, they charge Tesla vehicles slightly quicker, by not having to check for legacy protocols. But if they try Tesla protocols first, as I believe that they do, surely it would make no difference, unless there was a recoverable error.

I assume it's because Tesla provide them either free, or heavily discounted. And these days, the Tesla provided EVSEs charge only Teslas. Which is fair enough in a way, but not if your goal (and it's Tesla's stated goal) is to promote the widest possible EV adoption.

It may be that by locking the EVSEs to Tesla vehicles, they charge Tesla vehicles slightly quicker, by not having to check for legacy protocols. But if they try Tesla protocols first, as I believe that they do, surely it would make no difference, unless there was a recoverable error.
Interesting.

However, if you own a Bed and Breakfast or some such establishment why would you take the "Tesla shilling" and royally p... off other owners of EVs?

Interesting.

However, if you own a Bed and Breakfast or some such establishment why would you take the "Tesla shilling" and royally p... off other owners of EVs?
Yeah, totally agree. With more and more EV's coming out, I can't see the logic of having a charging station designed for one manufacturer only! :unsure: Surely, you'd want to cover the majority by having a Type 2 or Type 1 tethered charger or even an outside socket for granny chargers?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Very often there are two types of Tesla destination chargers - red label , Tesla only, white label , standard type 2 open to all.

They also have 8 7kW type 2 chargers near the M&S entrance?

1623434361449.png

I also run a Tesla.
Totally "Off Topic" I know sorry, but today we paid a visit to "Trentham Gardens Estate.
Stoke-on-Trent ST4 8JG.
When we pulled into the car park, there where 8 new Tesla super charges in the process of being installed.
Another tick in the box for Tesla owners in the area.
The site does already offer two 7kw posts ( 4 EV bay's ) for other EV owners, they are located at the far end of the car park.
The downside, is they are really really expensive !.
But, only two miles up the road, there is a Polar / Pulse rapid in the car park of the holiday inn.
Quick 15 minute "Splash & Dash" and we where off we go.
Oh ....... Quick word of warning.
Don't forget to record your registration number at the reception desk or you could receive a £100 fine through the post.
The charge was cheaper and much faster than the 7kw units provided on the Trentham Garden site.
Needless to say, there was nobody on them when we arrived or when we left !.

They also have 8 7kW type 2 chargers near the M&S entrance?

View attachment 3571
Looking a lot like Pod Point units tome ?.
Some of the posts offered outside of the M&S store are either just "Plug & Play".
But others need the charge confirmed on the Pod Point App, or the charge will stop after about 15 minutes of use.
The one single Pod Point post outside of the M&S store in Cheshire Oaks is "Plug & Play" - No App required.
But only less than a mile away, on another car park, there is two more Pod Point posts.
But these DO require the charge confirming on the Pod Point App ????.

Have only tried to use a Tesla Destination charger twice (same charger) - white signed one open to all EVs, with my ZS EV.

First time it showed “connected but not charging” - messing around with the reset button etc to no avail. After about 10 mins of being plugged in doing nothing it just burst into life and started charging.

Second time it wouldn’t play ball at all. Not sure what the incompatibility issue is but given multiple ZS owners have the same issue I suspect it is the car’s issue rather than the charger.

Exactly. Maybe the B&B don't know any better and to be fair to Tesla Destination Charger hosts there were only Tesla's back then.
Also keep in mind that Tesla supplies the charger free , the host pays for installation.
So from a business point of view the installation cost and running costs is a operation expediture yet the marketing angle of attracting high-nett worth drivers to the business (early Model S's were not cheap) is priceless.
Tesla destination chargers also appear on the in-car navigation system so it's hardly surprising to find Tesla's there.
But yes, point taken - any business wanting to attract all EV drivers would be better served to install a generic "manufacturer-agnostic" Type2 22kW outlet.

We could have been home by about seven last Thursday night. We drove up from Bo’ness on Wednesday and charged at Dalwhinnie. The hotel and restaurant next door were comfortable and the food very good. So we had a nearly full battery when we left the wonderful Highland Wildlife park at Kincraig on Friday.
But no - the evening was young so we went the other way to see what Glencoe was like. Needed a charge in Fort William to get home but out of 14 chargers- 6 were Tesla only (with none in use) - 6 new units we could use but not available to use yet - a council vehicle was using one and one old unit was taped up and unusable. So we found a charger at an old church converted to a climbing club called Three Wise Monkeys where we waited for some power to get to the higher power unit in Tyndrum. The range of teas and coffees on offer there is amazing. Glencoe was as staggeringly beautiful as ever and the drive phenomenal. The Tyndrum charger was viciously guarded by two battalions of the Highland Light Midge brigade. But I bravely fought them off and we put enough power in the car to get home 🦟🦟🦟🤩. W
hy are Tesla exclusive chargers allowed in a public car park ? Yet Tesla’s can be seen hogging all other chargers.
But we had two fabulous days out in our MG.

Why are Tesla exclusive chargers allowed in a public car park ?
It made sense when there were only Tesla's.
Much as we love our MG's, let's not forget who got the party going, and for years it was their party.
Legacy ICE manufacturers should've been astute enough to start building EV's when the Tesla Roadster v1 was released last decade.

Much as we love our MG's, let's not forget who got the party going, and for years it was their party.
Legacy ICE manufacturers should've been astute enough to start building EV's when the Tesla Roadster v1 was released last decade.
Aye it was just sour grapes 😃. we were sitting in the car park waiting to see if the council Clerk of Works would return to free up the single available working unit. So the knowledge that there were loads of electrons buzzing in the forbidden Tesla wires just feet away was tantalising to say the least. At least the real public chargers should be available to all fairly soon in Fort William’s Camanachd car park 👌

Pretty sure that crown actually goes to Nissan and Ecotricity - the first Tesla Supercharger in the U.K. was commissioned in 2014.

Currently at a wedding and have tried all sort of voodoo dances (and mutterings) but still will be connected but not charging. Even tried the Tesla only charger but no different
20210624_141742.jpg

Currently at a wedding and have tried all sort of voodoo dances (and mutterings) but still will be connected but not charging. Even tried the Tesla only charger but no differentView attachment 3710
Did you try resetting it? Sounds like the same issues I had when I tried!

Did you try resetting it? Sounds like the same issues I had when I tried!
Currently at a wedding and have tried all sort of voodoo dances (and mutterings) but still will be connected but not charging. Even tried the Tesla only charger but no differentView attachment 3710
You’ve probably tried this - make sure that your car is switched off for a while before connecting the charger, then lock your car and leave it for a while To see if it charges then

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom