Can the MG ZS EV use Tesla chargers?

Did you try resetting it? Sounds like the same issues I had when I tried!

You’ve probably tried this - make sure that your car is switched off for a while before connecting the charger, then lock your car and leave it for a while To see if it charges then
I did try resetting and no joy so I did have to leave it.

Came back after an hour or so to reset again, unlock, unplug, try the dance again and finally have success.

I hope someone sometime can work out a reliable sequence

Last edited:
I did try resetting and no joy so I did have to leave it.

Came back after an hour or so to reset again, unlock, unplug, try the dance again and finally have success.

I hope someone sometime can work out a reliable sequence
Sure you did the same dance , with, without music?

We drove to Oban on Thursday. Tried a top up at Crianlarich but not working. Carried on to Oban (tweedale car park) not working. Phoned the Glasgow number and a lassie managed to reset or give it a prod with a long stick - anyway that got us to Lochgilphead (Town car park) where the charger wasn’t working. I poked all the buttons and tried the usual incantations then hit the emergency stop and pulled it out straight away. Immediately I got a charge and a swarm of ev’s emerged for surrounding parking spaces (I knew I was being watched 👁) A BMW phev claimed the type 2 and a lady with a Leaf claimed the Chademo as I was leaving. We had lunch in Inveraray without feeding MG. The Loch Fyne Oyster bar have a double untethered charger so I got the cable from the Frunk (😍 - another story) and collected a few electrons while we bought a plant and a pot at the Tree Shop next door. (Two Tesla chargers not in use and a Mitsubishi phev was feeding on the other socket when we returned)
the “Rest and be Thankful” and Loch Lomond route home was a lovely drive as usual but they really are having some engineering nightmares keeping the land slip problems in check. As we we’re passing Stirling on the way home we picked up a snack from one of the MacDonald clan members we passed and tried out one of the 24 new (currently free) devices at the Castleview Low Carbon Hub. Our home economy 10 tariff starts at 13:00 so I’ll ask Granny to massage the battery for a wee while then to make amends for all the fast and rapid chargers endured on our 300 mile joy ride 😷

Sounds lovely. I really want to do that run 😎

Yes the original plan was to abandon MG in Oban and take a Macbraynes cruise to the island of Mull and have lunch in Tobermory after a bus pass trip viewing more gorgeous scenery as a passenger. - but hey - we’ve done that adventure before and the mist, the sunshine, the rain or whatever will be so different the next day too. Even without the weather it’s still Shangri- la.

Hi - interesting article found on the “Car Buzz “ app just now. Seems to include worldwide Tesla superchargers starting September 2022. 🤔😀

1624901962099.png

Oops my apologies I meant to add the subject of my ravings 🤦‍♂️

Lots of reports now. Here is one from Australia: Tesla to open up Superchargers to other electric cars

Only Norway confirmed for now, Sweden likely, and elsewhere in Europe sounds very promising. Hopefully it will also eventually happen in the UK and Australia.

It would make sense to have many or most destination chargers (AC) also available to all type 2 vehicles. That would advance Tesla's stated primary goal (advance the adoption of EVs world wide). But maybe in places like the UK, the destination chargers would be flooded with non-Tesla EVs, like MGs.

Tesla owners aren't going to be happy.

The (inflated?) price paid for a Tesla has an element of paying for the access to the supercharger network, imo. Elon then opens it up to all and sundry to make further profit. It's a good way to t off your customers.

Tesla owners aren't going to be happy.

The (inflated?) price paid for a Tesla has an element of paying for the access to the supercharger network, imo. Elon then opens it up to all and sundry to make further profit. It's a good way to t off your customers.
That'll be so good if it happens.

I wonder if they'll be a price difference for charging if you're Tesla or non Tesla.
That'd keep Tesla driver happy.
Be helpful for non tells drivers & make Tesla more money.

I'd guess that Tesla are wanting to cash in on the extortionate, need to charge, prices that the others are now applying. It'll be interesting to see what their non Tesla prices are.
There will probably be a two tier pricing system, one price for contactless and one for Teslas.

I'd guess that Tesla are wanting to cash in on the extortionate, need to charge, prices that the others are now applying. It'll be interesting to see what their non Tesla prices are.
There will probably be a two tier pricing system, one price for contactless and one for Teslas.
Kithmo
No chance an cashing in on us Yorkshire folk is there lol

Might be similar difficulty in the Misty north here too - although I might have thrown caution to the winds and had a few of their watts last week in Fort William 🤣

Since the Tesla Superchargers only cost Tesla owners, the ones that have to pay, 26p/kWh then just to buck the northern trend here (sorry guys), I would happily pay a 10-15p premium on top of that to ensure a charge when needed.

I’ve found that there are 4 main USP’s for the Tesla supercharger network;
1/the Tesla in car mapping is superb the way it factors in charging stops on a journey - just enter your trip details and it does it all for you. It even pre-warms your battery before you arrive.
2/the superchargers are very reliable - I’ve never had an issue with one not working - any payment is linked to the car ID so no messing around with cards/apps etc
3/there’s a lot of them across the country and there are usually lots of stalls - I’ve never had to wait to use one.
4/they are really fast chargers
This model should be a blueprint for all EV’s and EV charging infrastructure.

I’ve found that there are 4 main USP’s for the Tesla supercharger network;
1/the Tesla in car mapping is superb the way it factors in charging stops on a journey - just enter your trip details and it does it all for you. It even pre-warms your battery before you arrive.
2/the superchargers are very reliable - I’ve never had an issue with one not working - any payment is linked to the car ID so no messing around with cards/apps etc
3/there’s a lot of them across the country and there are usually lots of stalls - I’ve never had to wait to use one.
4/they are really fast chargers
This model should be a blueprint for all EV’s and EV charging infrastructure.
How do you feel about them being opened up to non-Tesla owners?

How do you feel about them being opened up to non-Tesla owners?
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this news ?.
Is it FACT that the Tesla units are or will be open to other cars ?.
If so, I can understand the frustration this could cause when you roll up to charge your Tesla and the slots are full of other cars !.
It must be one of biggest reasons why a person would choose a Tesla in the first place.
Their charging infrastructure is miles ahead of anything close to what we are currently subjected too.
If this comes off and selflessly I hope it does, you have to feel a little “Sold Down The River” after buying a Tesla, I feel.
It does benefit ALL electric car owners though !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom