Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

I’m losing confidence a little in the MG warranty. It looks great on the face of it - 7 Years. But as with many warranties a lot of items are not covered for this time period and the battery and motor has 7 Years instead of most others who do 8 Years - so you lose a Year there.
Having said all that, the biggest factor for me is that MG seem to like to query and procrastinate over warranty claims and leave owners hanging - I don’t like the sound of that at the moment.
you only have 4 years on the motor on the megane

same i had on the Zoe
but at least they have increased the % to 70% instead of the 66% i had on the battery.

you only have 4 years on the motor on the megane

same i had on the Zoe
but at least they have increased the % to 70% instead of the 66% i had on the battery.

That‘s interesting and very useful - thank you. Changes my thinking a little too. I’m surprised when most are offering c7 years? I would think that this may also affect residuals on cars 4 years+?

Last edited:
We have (against my best advice) had several Renaults in our family. Laguna, Megane, Captur.

Every single one depreciated like crazy.

Take the Laguna. Bought at 6 months old, demonstrator. 18k new, 12k at 6 months. Sold at 3 years with around 50000 on clock for 4.5k.

Plus it had bushes wearing out on suspension- not warranty - at 2.5 years.

If you buy a Renault without a pcp look hard at the residuals

We’ve had two Renaults, both bought new.
A clio and a Captur.
Both very reliable, cheap as chips to run too.
I don’t recall residuals being bad on either of them.
But i also didn’t pay full RRP so it’s all relative.
In real terms of money paid and money received when sold, I don’t think percentage residuals would be bad at all.
I’d remember if they were.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-190328.jpg
    Screenshot_20230202-190328.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 57
Well I'm having a look at the Renault tomorrow and we'll see once I test drive it if MG get a phone call or not.

With mine being Motability I don't have the residuals concerns other people have so the whole value later and the 7 vs 4 years is a moot point for me. More a concern over customer service and usability of the vehicle. Only difference to me is the down payment being largely increased.

Unfortunately MG and the lack of Dealer contact and excuses have just caused me a ridiculous amount of anxiety with how it's all gone and I can do without that so it's really soured the excitement and experience for me.

Plus I'm currently still TBA on the MG4 with Zero idea of a delivery date in sight and Renault have the Megane I want physically sat for me to look at tomorrow.

I guess overall it's just all come down to the experience for me.

Both 8 year battery warranty, not sure what the MG4 motor warranty is, like you say you are on Motability, so not that much of an issue for you.
Let us know how you get on

My tuppence worth…

I would never buy a Renault, ever.

My experience with the MG4 SE SR has been great. No issues with it and great fun to drive.

I can never understand why someone who’s rejected a car would stay on the forum for the purposes of slagging it off at every opportunity and try to put others off it.

There are so many different things I could say in reply to this.
To various point you have said, a lot of which are greatly exaggerated.
I genuinely can't be arsed, the cars have lots of faults, factually correct.
Lots of people are unhappy factually correct.
Have I said I hope it gets sorted yes.
Do I slag the car off at every opportunity, no.

Would I still buy one possibly.

All the fan boys slagging off every other make, which is ok because you have bought an MG, just remember it's an MG you've bought not a rolls royce, let's not start putting it on a pedestal of high-end quality and reliability, it's not, it's a decent very affordable family EV, end off.

If the general consensus is folk want me to leave the forum, as has been hinted at greatly by some upset members over the last couple of days, I'm good to go.
Ive bought a Renault I'll probably not have time to do this anyway as I'll be spending all my time fixing it, oh wait🤔

My tuppence worth…

My experience with the MG4 SE SR has been great. No issues with it and great fun to drive.

I can never understand why someone who’s rejected a car would stay on the forum for the purposes of slagging it off at every opportunity and try to put others off it.
Oh for goodness sake, stop feeding the troll. He is a Fifer, being bitter and twisted is considered placid over there (I am from Edinburgh)3...2...1 ;)

Well I'm having a look at the Renault tomorrow and we'll see once I test drive it if MG get a phone call or not.

With mine being Motability I don't have the residuals concerns other people have so the whole value later and the 7 vs 4 years is a moot point for me. More a concern over customer service and usability of the vehicle. Only difference to me is the down payment being largely increased.

Unfortunately MG and the lack of Dealer contact and excuses have just caused me a ridiculous amount of anxiety with how it's all gone and I can do without that so it's really soured the excitement and experience for me.

Plus I'm currently still TBA on the MG4 with Zero idea of a delivery date in sight and Renault have the Megane I want physically sat for me to look at tomorrow.

I guess overall it's just all come down to the experience for me.
I think you will love the Megane (whoops I mentioned the Megane again. Sorry. If I have upset anyone else out there but, trust me, you will be OK. Take a few deep breathes and have a herbal tea).
Push hard for a discount, especially if you are a bit flexible on trim and colour. Margins are tight but look at the acessories on offer that they can throw in at cost to them Premium mats upgrade on the already decent ones included is an absolute minimum.

The salesman with us showed me his inventory screen and I think there were about 50 variations of model, colour and trim available, in the country. Most seemed to be March/April delivery. Nice and easy for them if they can just bag one for you there and then. I can have my perfect choice for 1 March (actually delayed it by 10 days to get the 23 plate) Latest from MG was they had no info on my MG4 ordered in early December. I think the whole MG system is down for two weeks (planned) anyway now. They have been poor and it was a delight dealing with Renault but I appreciate that not every Renault dealer wil lbe the same It's just an opinion based on my experience. Got a senior salesman who spent two hours with us. Came and sat next to me on test drive and explained everything. I have said this on another posting but going from my MG dealer to Renault was like going from Aldi to Waitrose. At MG my wife innocently asked the very young sales guy what MG stood for and he admitted he didn't know! Both cars have their place in the market of course but I felt MG4 were treating me as a budget car buyer when near enough £32K is a lot of money to me and certainly doesn't feel like bargain basement sort of money.

Ended up paying just over £38.5K for a goreous Techno model in red metallic paint with grey roof, free premium matts, ceramic treatment inside and out (cost is £250). It comes with a Type 2 to Type 2 Cable (of course), three years RAC whether you serice with them or not. It also has lights for the rear seat passengers so they can see to put their seat belts on at night without a torch which is nice. The undertray seems to actually fit and the software running the whole thing is based on Android rather than something thrown together full of bugs for users to find and spent many happy hours driving to and from their dealers to get updates. Renault does over-ther-air updates. Crucially for me, it remembers your setttings so the Lane Kill Assist doesn't need to be turned off everytime you get in. Mainly because it actually works so you don't need to keep turning it off. Arguably not quiiiiiite as fun to drive, maybe, as the MG4 (front wheel drive) but still lovely. The acceleration still threw me back in my seat and my wife asked me not to do that again!

Anyway I don't want to upset any MG4 owner because I loved the MG4 when I test drove it, which is why I ordered one, and in the weeks afterwards but the emerging issues (most of which will be sorted, I agree) put some niggling doubts into my head and they sat there like a chronic infection, slowly eating away at me. It went acute when my dealer started ignoring me, didn't have a clue as to the progress with my order and failed to take the initiative when I raised reasonable issues of concern and sought reassurance/some soothing words. Having switched has lifted all of that. But...everyone is different. Hey, let's keep things in perspective. It's a car at the end of the day.

There are so many different things I could say in reply to this.
To various point you have said, a lot of which are greatly exaggerated.
I genuinely can't be arsed, the cars have lots of faults, factually correct.
Lots of people are unhappy factually correct.
Have I said I hope it gets sorted yes.
Do I slag the car off at every opportunity, no.

Would I still buy one possibly.

All the fan boys slagging off every other make, which is ok because you have bought an MG, just remember it's an MG you've bought not a rolls royce, let's not start putting it on a pedestal of high-end quality and reliability, it's not, it's a decent very affordable family EV, end off.

If the general consensus is folk want me to leave the forum, as has been hinted at greatly by some upset members over the last couple of days, I'm good to go.
Ive bought a Renault I'll probably not have time to do this anyway as I'll be spending all my time fixing it, oh wait🤔
Weather you go or not the choice is yours but once I realised you seem to have an inner Clarkson and like to provoke a reaction I sit back and watch.

I think you will love the Megane (whoops I mentioned the Megane again. Sorry. If I have upset anyone else out there but, trust me, you will be OK. Take a few deep breathes and have a herbal tea).
Push hard for a discount, especially if you are a bit flexible on trim and colour. Margins are tight but look at the acessories on offer that they can throw in at cost to them Premium mats upgrade on the already decent ones included is an absolute minimum.

The salesman with us showed me his inventory screen and I think there were about 50 variations of model, colour and trim available, in the country. Most seemed to be March/April delivery. Nice and easy for them if they can just bag one for you there and then. I can have my perfect choice for 1 March (actually delayed it by 10 days to get the 23 plate) Latest from MG was they had no info on my MG4 ordered in early December. I think the whole MG system is down for two weeks (planned) anyway now. They have been poor and it was a delight dealing with Renault but I appreciate that not every Renault dealer wil lbe the same It's just an opinion based on my experience. Got a senior salesman who spent two hours with us. Came and sat next to me on test drive and explained everything. I have said this on another posting but going from my MG dealer to Renault was like going from Aldi to Waitrose. At MG my wife innocently asked the very young sales guy what MG stood for and he admitted he didn't know! Both cars have their place in the market of course but I felt MG4 were treating me as a budget car buyer when near enough £32K is a lot of money to me and certainly doesn't feel like bargain basement sort of money.

Ended up paying just over £38.5K for a goreous Techno model in red metallic paint with grey roof, free premium matts, ceramic treatment inside and out (cost is £250). It comes with a Type 2 to Type 2 Cable (of course), three years RAC whether you serice with them or not. It also has lights for the rear seat passengers so they can see to put their seat belts on at night without a torch which is nice. The undertray seems to actually fit and the software running the whole thing is based on Android rather than something thrown together full of bugs for users to find and spent many happy hours driving to and from their dealers to get updates. Renault does over-ther-air updates. Crucially for me, it remembers your setttings so the Lane Kill Assist doesn't need to be turned off everytime you get in. Mainly because it actually works so you don't need to keep turning it off. Arguably not quiiiiiite as fun to drive, maybe, as the MG4 (front wheel drive) but still lovely. The acceleration still threw me back in my seat and my wife asked me not to do that again!

Anyway I don't want to upset any MG4 owner because I loved the MG4 when I test drove it, which is why I ordered one, and in the weeks afterwards but the emerging issues (most of which will be sorted, I agree) put some niggling doubts into my head and they sat there like a chronic infection, slowly eating away at me. It went acute when my dealer started ignoring me, didn't have a clue as to the progress with my order and failed to take the initiative when I raised reasonable issues of concern and sought reassurance/some soothing words. Having switched has lifted all of that. But...everyone is different. Hey, let's keep things in perspective. It's a car at the end of the day.
First time anyone in the world has ever compared Renault to Waitrose! Are you sure you don’t mean MG and Renault are Aldi and Lidl. I think that would be a touch more accurate!

Who cares if the salesman doesn’t know what MG stands for! It probably doesn’t stand for anything since it was bought by the Chinese.

Aldi to Waitrose is a ridiculous and meaningless comparison.

Who cares if the salesman doesn’t know what MG stands for! It probably doesn’t stand for anything since it was bought by the Chinese.

Aldi to Waitrose is a ridiculous and meaningless comparison.
There are a few really unpleasant and borderline nasty people on this site who obviously struggle to manage their emotions and can't cope with anything that challenges their firmly held views. So, that's it from me. Bye.

p.s. looking forward to the ineviable 'good riddance' response from site bullies.

My tuppence worth…

I’ve said before - I find Leni16 posts overall very well constructed and balanced. ‘Slagging it off at every opportunity‘ is simply a ridiculous comment - show examples of what you call slagging it off.
Constructive criticism yes (and also praise btw).
Plus Leni16 is still a potential owner and customer for a MG4 (not that really matters). It’s having genuine interest in MG that matters, not if you own one or order one or even cancel one.
We need more members like Leni16, and perhaps just perhaps less of a certain other kind…
We want to encourage views from everywhere not create a closed shop MG fanboy forum.
These sort of challenges and debates add to why this forum is one of the best out there.

I’ve said before - I find Leni16 posts overall very well constructed and balanced. ‘Slagging it off at every opportunity‘ is simply a ridiculous comment - show examples of what you call slagging it off.
Constructive criticism yes (and also praise btw).
Plus Leni16 is still a potential owner and customer for a MG4 (not that really matters). It’s having genuine interest in MG that matters, not if you own one or order one or even cancel one.
We need more members like Leni16, and perhaps just perhaps less of a certain other kind…
We want to encourage views from everywhere not create a closed shop MG fanboy forum.
These sort of challenges and debates add to why this forum is one of the best out there.
😚

There are a few really unpleasant and borderline nasty people on this site who obviously struggle to manage their emotions and can't cope with anything that challenges their firmly held views. So, that's it from me. Bye.

p.s. looking forward to the ineviable 'good riddance' response from site bullies.
See you on the speak EV Megane forum if I've got time, between running backwards and forwards to the dealer.

Lidl and Aldi come on Renault is up there with Iceland at least

Yeah, I'm the same - cancelled order, sales guy clueless which brought on a sense of foreboding.
luckily, new GR86 is now in the UK - asked for March delivery (waited this long might as well get the new plate)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back