Car ignoring 80% charge limit

I had another go last night. I set the car limit to 80% charge whilst physically sitting in the car. I then plugged in the charging cable. The car started charging at midnight in accordance with the schedule set within my Easee charger. It then charged all the way up to 100% again completely ignoring the 80% limit. At no time did I touch the app on the phone, everything was done directly in the car.

Are you opening the app during the charge or the lead up to it?

This seems to be a no no.

On mine it will do strange things like trigger an earlier charge time. Its as if the app over rides things set on the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, no the app was not touched either in the lead up to the charge or during the charge.

Last edited:
Mine does the same. We don't charge that much so not been a major issue as I generally charge from 30% which in 4 hours goes to say 80%, but on the occasion that I do since I got an update its always popping back to 100%. Had numerous issues with MG4, not a single one with our Enyaq. Goes to show buy cheap and get an average experience.

Best thing is to ignore the app completely. It conflicts with the infotainment system (as far as my early Trophy is concerned) Set your SOC in car and schedule via the car or wallbox and you should be OK

Although this is a recent issue, which seemed to occurred after installing the latest version of the app

I deleted the app and installed an older previous version, the same issue still appears to happen, go into the app a few times and the car alters from 80 to 100% charge limit.

Therefore in my non expert opinion the issue lies somewhere on the Chinese servers sending the data to the car and not with the app itself.

Last edited:
My Trophy plugged in to an Ohme Pro does the same thing - every now and the thing charges to 100% when the car is set to 80%. The other day I was pleasantly surprised that it did what I asked and only charged to 80% but that is not the norm.

Thinking - is this an Ohme charger issue or an MG issue?

I can't see that this an Ohme issue as I have the same problem but with an Easee charger so I guess that rules our chargers out of the equation.

Norway MG4 Luxury / Thropy / Essence 64

This is as simple as the car vil not stop the charge at set % if the car is not in charge of the charging.

I have a Easee Home and if the car is not in charge via the car or cars app charge planner (One see the smalest car display is displaying "planned charge" or something like that when plugged in), it wil be charged to 100% or to the cut off time I have on the Easee charger controlled via my power companys app (Tibber).

I can't see that this an Ohme issue as I have the same problem but with an Easee charger so I guess that rules our chargers out of the equation.
Ah fair enough, glad we could rule that out.

However, I have a feeling that it could still be a communication problem between the two. Unlike a Tesla where the two communicate seamlessly. A standard wall charger doesn’t know what the current battery level is in the 4 because it seems it doesn’t talk the same language (yet). So the user has to do a quick calculation before charging which seems to sometimes override the cars setting. …Unfortunately

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back